air shock mystery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 10:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
air shock mystery

i’m back….fixing this e500 for a customer

car has arnott coil conversion in the rear but the front still has what are apparently two air shocks.

air lines have been cut and this car can drive and ride fine forever at this level. i know what it’s like to drive a 211 on the bumpstops and this is not it. what kind of hackery is going on here?

Last edited by coupesedan; 11-26-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 E63 AMG WAGON 2018 BMW M5 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW Z4
If the rear bags have been replaced with arnott there is possibility that they there have been used the ones that bypass middle rear air tank. In that case car drives slightly stiffer. I believe that that tank is responsible for more comfortable ride in comfort mode. I’ve done this once and had similar results, but there are more knowledgeable members here and I am sure that they will chime in. I would use arnott in the rear but not in front despite of what most been saying here. First for ride quality and the difference between suspension the modes chosen. It’s easily distinguishable between them when different modes are used with proper oem or bilsteins.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by Rafichicago
If the rear bags have been replaced with arnott there is possibility that they there have been used the ones that bypass middle rear air tank. In that case car drives slightly stiffer. I believe that that tank is responsible for more comfortable ride in comfort mode. I’ve done this once and had similar results, but there are more knowledgeable members here and I am sure that they will chime in. I would use arnott in the rear but not in front despite of what most been saying here. First for ride quality and the difference between suspension the modes chosen. It’s easily distinguishable between them when different modes are used with proper oem or bilsteins.
they used the drop in coil spring conversion on the rear. compressor is gone lines are cut in front

my only is guess is this guy hooked up a schrader valve and pumped it all the way up before selling but it should’ve slammed to the ground when i lowered the jack down