W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 e55 Towed for transmission/shifter problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG, '05 Ford Explorer Limited V8, '04 Acura TSX with Nav
'04 e55 Towed for transmission/shifter problem??

Just had my car towed by mercedes. For some reason, while driving in automatic mode, driving approx. 45mph, the car automatically acted as if it were in neutral, causing me to pull over! Definately scary. After stopping, the car went back to normal. That was the first incident. I thought it was a fluke however the next day in manual, the car did the same thing, did not change out of 4th gear and just kept revving as if it were in neutral. At that point, I called the dealer and they said I must not drive the car and that they would have it towed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Having to pull over on a busy street was not cool. I hope this is an easy thing that just was a fluke. People beware and drive cautiously.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I had this happen once, luckily I was going to the dealer when this happened. They replaced the transmission controller and all was good.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. I was doing about 90 when it happened after a sudden accel/decel manuever. I actually felt a pretty hard driveline clunk when it happened. Controller was replaced, even though everything seemed to still function anyway.