W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Radiator Drain Plug???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2023 | 02:50 PM

2017 Audi S6
Radiator Drain Plug???

Hello All,

So I've got my 2006 E55 tucked away in the garage for the winter, doing my yearly maintenance. This year we have spark plugs, brakes all around, filters and belts...

As I removed the accessory belt for replacement, I checked all the pulleys and noticed significant play in the water pump, so I ordered a new one from FCP, figured at 83k miles, might as well take care of it while I'm in there, no biggie.

So my next step is to drain the coolant, I'm going to do the water pump, the thermostat, flush the cooling systems and replenish with brand new fluid but....

Where is the frikkin drain plug??? My car has the original radiator (Valeo PN 2115003202) and for the life of me I cannot locate a drain screw on either side, front or back of the radiator...

I know there is also a drain plug on the engine block somewhere, but surely there is one on the radiator....am I missing something? Anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks for helping restore my sanity

RR
Old 01-27-2023 | 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Wagon Fan
Hello All,

So I've got my 2006 E55 tucked away in the garage for the winter, doing my yearly maintenance. This year we have spark plugs, brakes all around, filters and belts...

As I removed the accessory belt for replacement, I checked all the pulleys and noticed significant play in the water pump, so I ordered a new one from FCP, figured at 83k miles, might as well take care of it while I'm in there, no biggie.

So my next step is to drain the coolant, I'm going to do the water pump, the thermostat, flush the cooling systems and replenish with brand new fluid but....

Where is the frikkin drain plug??? My car has the original radiator (Valeo PN 2115003202) and for the life of me I cannot locate a drain screw on either side, front or back of the radiator...

I know there is also a drain plug on the engine block somewhere, but surely there is one on the radiator....am I missing something? Anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks for helping restore my sanity

RR
The drain is on the left side all the way at the bottom of the plastic tank. Pic attached:

Old 01-27-2023 | 03:45 PM

2017 Audi S6
Thanks! It's very clear in the picture. In my car, there is a metallic brace in the way, and try as I might, I can't feel a drain plug behind it...

The following users liked this post:
HubTraum (06-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023 | 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks! It's very clear in the picture. In my car, there is a metallic brace in the way, and try as I might, I can't feel a drain plug behind it...
Here is another pic that shows it. My car is a CLS so there may be a little difference in how all this looks. Don't get distracted with all the rubber hoses as I have upgraded the Heat Exchangers for the SC Intercooler. I hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2023 | 04:47 PM

2017 Audi S6
Got it! thanks again for the picture. My radiator was shifted about an inch back, towards the engine, therefore hiding the plug underneath the bracket. I shifted it back, got a visual on the drain now... Tks

RR

The following users liked this post:
HubTraum (06-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023 | 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got it! thanks again for the picture. My radiator was shifted about an inch back, towards the engine, therefore hiding the plug underneath the bracket. I shifted it back, got a visual on the drain now... Tks

RR
Glad you got it sorted.