Sponsored by:

are kwickfit talking kwick*****? E320 Estate 2004 handbake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Estate 2004
are kwickfit talking kwick*****? E320 Estate 2004 handbake

Hi I took my E320 Estate 2004 to kwickfit to identify a continuous road noise a low speeds. They started will a brake inspection then phoned up and said we are 100% convinced it was corrosion on the drum of the hand brake and new rear disc and pads would cure this. £340 later the noise is no different. When I asked to see the old disc there was light dusting of rust (literally some brown dust, not heavy pitting or what you would describe as "corrosion") The said the contact surface of the drum should be something like the disc surface (smooth and bright). This does not stack up to me and hand brake would not be worn smother to bright metal like a discs. Are they trying to pull a fast one?

I'm talking the car back in tomorrow quick thoughts would be apprenticed?

also any thoughts in the continuous road noise?? could it be a bearings? what does that sound like?, Could it be the drive shaft? the noise is not affected by gears or brake, just road speed.

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Old 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 401 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Wheel bearing is a "howling" sound which changes with the amount of speed. You can probably find some examples on Youtube

Check what the core business is of Kwickfit, if they sell brake discs, exhausts etc, they will always try to sell those to you. I think we have the same Kwikfit here in the Netherlands and they are notorious for performing **** judgements and succesfully sell people aformentioned products. How they still exist is beyond me...

If you have a trailing brake, that normally will not give any sound, just a scorching hot disc/drum
Old 03-22-2023, 11:44 AM

E320 Estate 2004
Thanks for this, the noise is definitely not howling and is inaudible as speed (I've read a bearing noise gets worse at speed) its more like a mechanical purring or rubbing (its not the engine :-)) I did wonder if it was the pump but its related to road speed and is continuous. Iv also read at changing the differential oil got rid of a noise for another merc owner,, again all thought welcome
my neighbor says drive shaft???

Does anybody have any opinions about what the inside of a brake drum should look like? (parking brake drum)

Jon
Old 03-23-2023, 07:53 AM

E320 Estate 2004
Hi there, I'm in the process of getting a refund from Kwikfit, they have just called to say the noise is likely to come from both rear suspension air bags being collapsed.
i'm going to asks a few question about that in a separate thread
Jon