Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smelly brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smelly brakes

I went out by myself on a track for five laps, with speeds up to 110 and alot of turns at 30-40 mph. Tires were contis 45 front 40 rear, with esp off.Sport 2. There was a definte smell from the brakes after the second lap and the brakes felt a little soft by the fifth lap. The discs were not red.Does this seem reasonable or o.k.? This is the first time i've tracked the car and this wasn't really racing. Should I
anticipate pad replacement early if I were to drive the car for 15 minutes or at that same level? thanks.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Pads and rotors will last 2 track days if you drive fairly hard. The front pads generate a lot of heat, so I had ducts fabricated and added ss lines, racing fluid and Porterfield R4 race pads. The car then stopped really well, but the heat caused my front calipers to turn gold (see pics in sig). The race pads squeal unbearably now and I can't wait for my final Sebring event Dec 5 to retire the E55 and go back to stock pads. I hope the rotors are not trashed but I suspect they will be.