W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Adding CarPlay / Android Auto to Stock Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2023 | 02:06 AM

2008 E63 AMG
Adding CarPlay / Android Auto to Stock Head Unit

Hey guys, I'm thinking of adding wireless CarPlay to my stock w211 head unit. Initially it looked impossible, but I've found a few products that may make this actually work:
  • NTG 1 video interface. This handles audio and video input to the dated NTG 1 system
  • Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto box. This is what we're connecting to the video interface

Reading through some slk forum posts on another site I found this
. In short he connected his phone to the video interface and was able to get that working; my approach takes this a step further (well, mostly just modernizes it) and would allow the carplay box to act as the input.

The pros of this method:
  • no messing with fiber optics
  • no loss in sound quality (hypothetically)
  • no need for rewiring + new amp setup
The cons:
What do you guys think? Is this worth pursuing?

I only really care about music so the dongle may work best in my case the more I think about it..
Old 05-07-2023 | 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
That's not even close to CarPlay. thats a bad implementation of Phone screen mirroring without the touch screen interface. For the time money and effort just put a Dynavin in. It uses the Stock amp and fiber optic system and is plug and play
Old 05-10-2023 | 02:10 AM

07' E63
If you have a CD Player hidden underneath the OEM XM Radio and replace it with anything, I understand you loose the ability of using the CD Player itself.
Old 10-26-2023 | 04:57 PM

2005 e55
Hi there, I just posted this same question as I didn’t find anything about it here when I searched. It seems like it might work but what I’m running into an issue with is trying to figure out what video interface to go with. https://cartizan-direct.com/products...reless-carplay This is the CarPlay device I was looking into as it has a control dial with buttons and functions as a usb to video out device. Please let me know if you went through with this as I would also like to accomplish this. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2023 | 01:18 AM

2008 E63 AMG
hey j, haven’t gone through with this. it still seems viable but for $500 i’m struggling to justify it
Old 10-27-2023 | 10:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We provide plug and play 7.5 inch carplay screens. Needn't to disassemble the car radio.
  • 7.5 inch Portable IPS HD Touch screen,1280x768 resolution
  • Embedded Dual Bluetooth 4.0+5.0
  • Built-in mic for Siri function and Bluetooth call
  • Micro SD/USB: media music and video support
  • the sound work by synchronization the same FM radio channel as the automobile FM radio or by AUX cable connection
  • Easy installation, Plug and Play, Non-destructive installation
  • https://carlinklife.com/products/7-5...hscreen-player

Last edited by Carlinklife; 11-06-2023 at 10:32 PM.