Sponsored by:

BenzoBoi's brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Exclamation BenzoBoi's brakes

I love these things:

Photos taken at October 23rd ROSE BOWL Mercedes-Benz Meet !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
what about them lol?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
aren't those the stock brakes????
Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Yeah they are the stock brakes. At least thats what mine look like.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I have those too...

I love how the wheels glow though.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!

Just look at those sexy calipers! :p
Old 10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Nothing like 8 piston brakes to stop that beast.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

W221
I must say, I never did notice the "glow" on the rims until recently. I was drivin on the HRE's most of the time so I didn't knotice them but when I had to take them off for the stocks I was pretty impressed. When the whole car was clean, the rims made it look even cleanier because the rims had a nice little "glow" I like it alot. Too bad they won't be on for too much longer I will prolly end up with new 19's early next year...
Old 11-01-2004, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Looks are deceiving. These brakes are more show than go. Why MB chinced out on rotors and HEAVY calipers to me means it's all about appearance and not performance, unlike the drivetrain. They didn't even design a left and a right side. The force you to use the same rotor correctly on one side and backward on the other.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-01-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Looks are deceiving. These brakes are more show than go. Why MB chinced out on rotors and HEAVY calipers to me means it's all about appearance and not performance, unlike the drivetrain. They didn't even design a left and a right side. The force you to use the same rotor correctly on one side and backward on the other.
Dr. Chill. You have said exactly what I say to other people who always say those brakes are huge and such. I tell them that they can't stop for sh*t. Most of the E55er's can vouch for this also. They may look really good but the brakes just simply suck...Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I heard somewhere on this forum that somebody was hooking up with either AMG or Brembo about fabricating a rotor specifically for the E55 that isn't as mechanically neglected as AMG's rotors. Frankly, I think this is basis for a worldwide demand for proper rotors from AMG. Everything that AMG has done to our cars is amazing, but why would they be so cheap as to give us rotors that aren't even mirrored? I'm going to mention this to my service rep when I take my car in for the brake recall...$100 says my efforts prove to be fruitless.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
A $80k+ car and it comes with a reversed rotor? Damn MB is taking some major shortcuts!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
I heard somewhere on this forum that somebody was hooking up with either AMG or Brembo about fabricating a rotor specifically for the E55 that isn't as mechanically neglected as AMG's rotors. Frankly, I think this is basis for a worldwide demand for proper rotors from AMG. Everything that AMG has done to our cars is amazing, but why would they be so cheap as to give us rotors that aren't even mirrored? I'm going to mention this to my service rep when I take my car in for the brake recall...$100 says my efforts prove to be fruitless.

That somebody was me. I originally was pursuing Baer who sounded interested at first. One would think there's a fairly decent market for rotors as the E55, S55, CL55, and SL55 all share the same brakes from 2003 to present. Since my initial inquiries, several emails have been ignored and other companies such as Brembo, Stoptech, and Alcon never were interested from the start-even if I promised a minimum 10 orders. I have ceased my efforts and have focused on C5 Corvette brakes for track use. Get a load of this, Many of the guys who track their Z06's frequently use rotors as disposables since they only cost $20 each and most switch from track pads which last 4 or 5 events to street pads ($40-$70 per axle) after each event.

If anyone is interested, the guy at Baer that was so interested at first that he asked me to arrange a meeting with an E55 owner from this forum, deaguero in AZ, who lived near them, to inspect the car for fitment info. So far Kelly at Baer hasn't responded in 2 months but here's his info for anyone wishing to take over the cause.

Kelly Herring
Baer Sales
602 233 1411

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-02-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:55 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Dr. Chill. You have said exactly what I say to other people who always say those brakes are huge and such. I tell them that they can't stop for sh*t. Most of the E55er's can vouch for this also. They may look really good but the brakes just simply suck...Thank you for clearing that up.

I have to agree, my RS6 brakes felt much better and I don't recall ever getting "fade" at high speeds
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
That somebody was me. I originally was pursuing Baer who sounded interested at first. One would think there's a fairly decent market for rotors as the E55, S55, CL55, and SL55 all share the same brakes from 2003 to present. Since my initial inquiries, several emails have been ignored and other companies such as Brembo, Stoptech, and Alcon never were interested from the start-even if I promised a minimum 10 orders. I have ceased my efforts and have focused on C5 Corvette brakes for track use. Get a load of this, Many of the guys who track their Z06's frequently use rotors as disposables since they only cost $20 each and most switch from track pads which last 4 or 5 events to street pads ($40-$70 per axle) after each event.

If anyone is interested, the guy at Baer that was so interested at first that he asked me to arrange a meeting with an E55 owner from this forum, deaguero in AZ, who lived near them, to inspect the car for fitment info. So far Kelly at Baer hasn't responded in 2 months but here's his info for anyone wishing to take over the cause.

Kelly Herring
Baer Sales
602 233 1411
I thought so! However, I think there is much more to it than that. If we were to be able to hook up with a company who was willing to manufacture new brakes for the AMG's, 10 orders would be nothing. First off, many owners of AMG vehicles are ignorant rich people who have no idea what the capabilities and/or specifications of their vehicles really are. If one were to tell these people that their cars were insufficient in any way, they would jump on the opportunity to fix it. Moreover, AMG and Mercedes can face serious accusations of insufficient manufacturing. We pay $80k+, we want perfection, let alone proper brakes. Although Mercedes would be extremely hesitant, it would be ideal if one were to make a proposition to MBUSA that if they send out some sort of optional recall on the brakes, we will put forth the effort to hook-up with a brake manufacturer to manufacture a proper rotor. (However, Mercedes would definitely decline were it not to be AMG). Regardless, it is understandable that many would be angry about this and that Mercedes can suffer severe losses due to it. I figure, by taking a percentage, I can make a profit while helping MBUSA maintain a name for itself. Dr. Chill, your idea has potential, 10 has now become 10,000+. Tell me if you decide to look into it.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
AMG and 99% of AMG drivers couldn't care less. It's a losing proposition. I took the path of least resistence and switched track cars. For the street, the brakes are adequate in their stock form. I probably spent a total of 20 hours trying over 13 months to get something done, but very few were even open to consideration. It was easier to switch than make a career out of it.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats surprising, I'd think that most AMG owners would want compensation of some sort. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any numbers or stats showing that so many AMG owners had no interest? I'm not trying to disprove your statement or call you a liar or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Thats surprising, I'd think that most AMG owners would want compensation of some sort. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any numbers or stats showing that so many AMG owners had no interest? I'm not trying to disprove your statement or call you a liar or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks
Be real. Compenstion for what? Putting out only one part # instead of having 2? The car stops reasonably well and the brakes are not dangerous.

I've been all over this board for the past 2 years. I consider myself the brake guru for this car and have spoken to so many people, owners of AMG's and others, who when presented with the chance to put up some cash to improve their brakes didn't sieze the opportunity. The reason is most AMG owners are older individuals who think the cars are incredible in every way. They have their cars serviced by the dealers who won't touch aftermarket stuff. The stinkin dealers won't even lower the car for them with a simple computer manipulation. My dealer wouldn't even install the Porterfield pads I brought with me and put on MB pads forcing me to have Renntech change the pads a week later. Since the cars include all scheduled maintenance, owners don't want to shell out additional dough if MB is footing their bill (although brake systems are only warranted for 1 year).

Another real problem, unlike with Mustangs and Vettes, we are not really able to modify these cars ourselves and brake changes are most safely done if the sensotronic system is disabled. The long and short of it is, we MBWorld members make up a small percentage of owners, and are much more fanatical about our cars than your average guy with the ability to afford one of these cars.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-05-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very true. Good way of putting it actually. I am not too learned on whether or not it is dangerous to have backwards rotors, and automatically made the assumption that in some way it was. On the issue though, I haven't taken my car in for the brake recall yet but I have been noticing less responsive braking. Does the alteration from the brake recall increase sensitivity as well? I hope so...