Sponsored by:

Humming Noise In Engine???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming Noise In Engine???

Hi guys, I was just wondering if this happens with your cars: Lately I've noticed that whenever I come home and turn off my car, I hear a faint humming noise coming from what seems to be the alternator. I noticed it for the first time yesterday and I popped my hood to see where it was coming from. It sounds like some sort of electric current, and I've never heard it before. Again - it sounds like its coming from the alternator, and thats understandable given that it sounds like some sort of electric fault. It goes away after about 30-60 seconds. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what it is or if it happens to anyone else's car. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I would have it checked out ASAP. This shouldn't happen and I just checked in my E55, and it turns off quietly and quickly.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Mine does this and has done since new. I normally don't notice it but if you turn the engine off, remove the key and sit there you will notice it.
I have no idea what causes it though.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Could it be timed oil cooler for the SC? My S4 used to do this if the turbos were too hot, and I turned off the car, an oil cooler kicked on that ensured the turbos would cool down more gracefully than a fast shutdown.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
TCM

2001 BMW M5
I have heard this on the E55 as well. It seems to come from all the computer controlled gizmos on the right side of the engine compartment. It did not sound like an alternator to me though. Maybe you are experiencing someting different?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRCrowder
Could it be timed oil cooler for the SC? My S4 used to do this if the turbos were too hot, and I turned off the car, an oil cooler kicked on that ensured the turbos would cool down more gracefully than a fast shutdown.
I have been driving pretty aggressively lately...

Originally Posted by TCM
I have heard this on the E55 as well. It seems to come from all the computer controlled gizmos on the right side of the engine compartment. It did not sound like an alternator to me though. Maybe you are experiencing someting different?
No no, that sounds like it. Right side, computer noises, thats pretty much what it is. Im taking my car in for the brake recall this week, I'll have 'em check it out. Thanks for the help.