M113K issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 W211 E55 sedan
M113K issues

Hey everybody.

I've had my 2004 E55 for about 4 months, 113K miles when I bought it and about 118K miles now. I bought it with the following conservative modifications:
  • Very slightly smaller clutched supercharger pulley
  • Long tube headers (on the car when I bought it) with new VRP 02 sensor extenders (installed during my ownership) and cats still present
  • Race iQ tune
  • Surge tank spacers
  • ....hmmmm
I have attached the scanner report below.
When the car first starts it smells very rich and the idle is quite lumpy. My son and I have both noticed that it seems to be a bit smoother in cooler, less humid conditions now that we are entering fall.
New Mercedes plugs about 8 months ago, new Mercedes coils at the same time and I swapped all 16 plug wires to new Bosch wires about a month ago hoping that would resolve the issue.. The air filters are clean and after clearing the codes it runs for a couple of trips (just around town) before throwing the codes again.
Sometimes after a bit of spirited driving, a few mostly wide open throttle blasts through 2nd and 3rd gear there is some really pronounced surging at idle when I next stop. I put it in to neutral, give it a bit of throttle and it seems to settle down.
The rest of the reported issues are all minor stuff involving the pneumatic pumps for the seats and something with the overhead control panel.
I would appreciate it if you would take the time to glance over the "critical" issues on the report and let me know if any of this sound interrelated or familiar to anyone as a known M113K issue? Any ideas would be appreciated.
I'm a reasonably handy wrench, don't have any experience with Mercedes mechanically and don't have a Star system nor do I know anyone that has one, but wish I did.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
thunder scan 9-13-23.pdf (427.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Clear all codes. Then drive the car. Then rescan and see which codes resurface. I don't care about "Stored" codes, I care about "Current" codes. Start with the lowest number as that is the most critical and resolving that code will often clear all of the other codes after it in higher numerical order.

Just for the hell of it, pull the air filter box off and ensure the throttle plate is not obstructed by any piece of foreign debris. P2008-01 is the first place I would check. Might be a bad contact on the connector, might be debris, might be an abraded wire. I once had a rubber o-ring donut gasket come loose and jam under my throttle plate. Flat-bed the car home and it took me all of 3 minutes to find and resolve the problem which I couldn't do on the side of a major highway at night. Lesson learned.

Consider investing in a different tune; cost $$$ but perhaps your tune does not match the pulley and LTH. Contact Race iQ first for their input as they may have suggestions.

STAR/Xentry is your friend. Some of the newer alternatives are good as well but I really, really like my C3 and C4 systems. Plus, I can sell them with the car to make back my investment.

Good luck and post your solution for the rest of us.

If you decide to go with a C4 system, PM BenzNinja here on this forum. He's in France so be aware of the six-hour time difference in communications.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 09-15-2023 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BOOMGUY (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 02:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 W211 E55 sedan
That most recent scan report was just an hour or so after clearing all of the codes, so those are the ones that either won't purge or won't stay gone.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll pull the tanks and the intake off tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious.

Last edited by BOOMGUY; 09-16-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 465 Likes on 403 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Did something happen to the injectors? Swapped them for others maybe?

Do you happen to have a OBD dongle with a basic app like Torque Pro? Im dying to see what your fuel trims are...