Front subframe bolt part number?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2023 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Front subframe bolt part number?

Hello. I recently had to change my oil pan, I decided to use the method of lowering the front subframe to accomplish this. All went well until reassembling, one bolt is a little jacked up and I’d like to replace it. Problem I’m having is the dealership can’t find the bolt I need on their wiring diagram.

There are two shorter bolts in the front of the front subframe, there are two longer-ish bolts in the very rear of the front subframe, and there are two (longest) bolts that are behind the lower control arms that go through the subframe into the frame. This is the bolt I need, that the dealership can’t seem to locate in their catalog.

The bolts have an E14 flange head on them, and it’s a M10-1.5 x 70 bolt. Any help would be wonderful, thanks!
Old 11-14-2023 | 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Hello. I recently had to change my oil pan, I decided to use the method of lowering the front subframe to accomplish this. All went well until reassembling, one bolt is a little jacked up and I’d like to replace it. Problem I’m having is the dealership can’t find the bolt I need on their wiring diagram.

There are two shorter bolts in the front of the front subframe, there are two longer-ish bolts in the very rear of the front subframe, and there are two (longest) bolts that are behind the lower control arms that go through the subframe into the frame. This is the bolt I need, that the dealership can’t seem to locate in their catalog.

The bolts have an E14 flange head on them, and it’s a M10-1.5 x 70 bolt. Any help would be wonderful, thanks!
Attached is the parts view of the front cradle. I have listed the three bolts shown in the part picture. As you can see, two of the three bolts show a length, one at 25mm and the other at 42mm, but the other only references the size of the bolt at M12 (same as the other two). I suspect that last bolt without a reference to length is the one you are looking for. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W211 Sub Bolts.pdf (607.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-14-2023 | 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by machild
Attached is the parts view of the front cradle. I have listed the three bolts shown in the part picture. As you can see, two of the three bolts show a length, one at 25mm and the other at 42mm, but the other only references the size of the bolt at M12 (same as the other two). I suspect that last bolt without a reference to length is the one you are looking for. Good luck.
Thanks for the help! Interesting they list them all as M12, I took the bolt to fastenal and using their little bolt gauge it definitely threaded into M10-1.5. I’ll take this to the dealer though and see what they come up with, I have the bolt in my hand so it’ll be easy to match.
Old 11-14-2023 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Ok, I should have noticed (more on that later) but either way, I went to the dealership and he pulled the part and it's the rear bolt for the front subframe, which explains why it's an M12, the front-most bolts for the front subframe are also M12.

Bolt 315 is actually the bolt that holds the steering rack plate to the subframe. The quest continues.
Old 05-10-2024 | 08:32 PM

Received 311 Likes on 244 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Such a long bolt with a thread that long is unusual. And as others have stated, its clean. Most likely its application is on something heavy, hence the long thread and its overall length. I'd be checking subframe then driveline components like driveshafts etc before engine parts, and anything that has a lot of weight on it like engine and trans mounts etc.
Old 05-12-2024 | 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by BlackML550
Such a long bolt with a thread that long is unusual. And as others have stated, its clean. Most likely its application is on something heavy, hence the long thread and its overall length. I'd be checking subframe then driveline components like driveshafts etc before engine parts, and anything that has a lot of weight on it like engine and trans mounts etc.
I did eventually figure out what bolt it was, thought I came back to update but guess not lol. So to lower the front subframe you actually need to remove 6 bolts, even though only 4 are classified as subframe bolts. Outside of the 4 obvious ones in each corner of the subframe, there are two more, one on each side between the front and rear bolts... These bolts go through the subframe, through the sway bar mounting clamps, and into the body.

When my dealer pulled up the subframe, they weren't on the diagram. How they eventually found it was they had a new software tool that could find all bolts by size and pitch, so since I already had that info they found it, then we figured out why it wasn't on the diagram for the subframe: because it was on the diagram for the front sway bar.

I also learned that subframe alignment is pretty important. I initially thought my bolt and the hole's threads were jacked up, but turns out after running a tap through it they were fine, just misaligned which is why the bolt wouldn't thread. After loosening all bolts I was able to position the subframe properly and get all 6 bolts to sink correctly.
Old 06-02-2024 | 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
200cdi w204
In the oil exchanger repair work there are a couple of those screws I think I remember.
A three-bolt rear tie rod behind the steering pump sounds familiar to me.
In what area was the screw?