Crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e55 amg
Crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer

Hi guys
I have rough idling after engine start it nearly feels like misfiring of cylinder and firstly I’m going to replace engine mounts as motor moves a bit more as I like to but on the same if I look at harmonic balancer I see it wobbling a little bit .. not that it look bad of peeling rubber etc but just wobble and as a car has 150k miles I guess no harm to consider a new one but my question to you who has aftermarket aluminum performance increase ones is it worth it ? How many miles or years you have it ? I’m not for extra hp it’s plenty for me in stock I just think rubber there for a reason and steel body vs aluminum?? How long later one will last?
Would be great to hear your thoughts
thanks 👍
Old 11-30-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Auris
Hi guys
I have rough idling after engine start it nearly feels like misfiring of cylinder and firstly I’m going to replace engine mounts as motor moves a bit more as I like to but on the same if I look at harmonic balancer I see it wobbling a little bit .. not that it look bad of peeling rubber etc but just wobble and as a car has 150k miles I guess no harm to consider a new one but my question to you who has aftermarket aluminum performance increase ones is it worth it ? How many miles or years you have it ? I’m not for extra hp it’s plenty for me in stock I just think rubber there for a reason and steel body vs aluminum?? How long later one will last?
Would be great to hear your thoughts
thanks 👍
I don't believe there is an aftermarket alterative for the crank pulley (expect for modified stock ones for higher boost), nor would anyone recommend one.
I replace my pulley at around 130k miles. I probably didn't need to, but I drive long distances and wanted to be sure. It is an expensive part (between $450-$500 online and much more at the dealership). I was quoted about $1300 to have it replaced at the dealership. I ended up buying the part and tools and doing it myself.
The following users liked this post:
Auris (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 401 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I also had a slight wobble during idling (W219 CLS55) and I didn't trust it. I got some opinions from other people who assured me it's normal for a small bit of wobble (when idling), but I made the decision to replace it with a new OE MB crank pulley nevertheless. After replacement, the wobble was still there when idling (same amount)

Please note: as soon as I blip the throttle, the wobble is gone. The rubber is there for a reason (dampening), but some extra horses are always welcome, but I'm sure there is a trade off somewhere...

[edit]
I paid about 680 euro's for the part and about 70 euro's for the labor to get it replaced. Mileage was about 200k (kilometers).The garage I went to swapped it out really fast. Protip: also replace the crank bolt as it's a one time use stretch bolt!

Last edited by nd-photo.nl; 11-30-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:35 AM

W211 e55 amg
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
I also had a slight wobble during idling (W219 CLS55) and I didn't trust it. I got some opinions from other people who assured me it's normal for a small bit of wobble (when idling), but I made the decision to replace it with a new OE MB crank pulley nevertheless. After replacement, the wobble was still there when idling (same amount)

Please note: as soon as I blip the throttle, the wobble is gone. The rubber is there for a reason (dampening), but some extra horses are always welcome, but I'm sure there is a trade off somewhere...

[edit]
I paid about 680 euro's for the part and about 70 euro's for the labor to get it replaced. Mileage was about 200k (kilometers).The garage I went to swapped it out really fast. Protip: also replace the crank bolt as it's a one time use stretch bolt!
I guess on the same it would make sense to replace front crankshaft seal as all the work is done
Old 11-30-2023, 11:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Auris
I guess on the same it would make sense to replace front crankshaft seal as all the work is done
Yes, the seal should be replaced as well. As a side note, my new pulley had a slight wobble too. :-(

Given the mileage, you should be replacing the belt tensioners (at least the main accessory belt one) while you are in there. I had the plastic pulley fail (bearing seized) and left me stranded for a few hours. I looked at the other pulleys and the bearings were dry.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:04 AM

W211 e55 amg
Yes makes perfect sense
Old 11-30-2023, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 401 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Yes also the seal, I did that as well (forgot about that one)