- No supercharger belt fitted
- Start the car
- Stop the supercharger pulley from turning
- Stop the black drum from turning
Old 02-22-2024, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
OK last shot...with the car running while it is making noise with the belt off, stop the supercharger drum from turning and the noise should go away. Don't worry it is just coasting along and doing nothing so you are not going to break anything. Also try and have the camera running so we can see.
here it is
Old 02-22-2024, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 140 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
pretty clearly the supercharger bearing has shot I would suggest
Old 02-22-2024, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 343 Likes on 294 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
You are going to need two rear bearings for the case.
The following users liked this post:
Kevo-1 (04-17-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:38 PM

E55 AMG
You are going to need two rear bearings for the case.
do you know where I could get some I can’t find any online
Kevo-1 (04-17-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 427 Likes on 375 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
This should be it:
https://benzperformanceparts.com/pro...ut-bearing-kit
https://benzperformanceparts.com/col...ar-bearing-kit
Kevo-1 (04-17-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Good luck with that front snout bearing kit. It will take a pro to get it off ,replace bearings and then back on without hurting anything.
I think you only need the rear bearings and that is easy to do.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:13 AM

E55 AMG
Is it something that’s able to be a DIY job or would it be too difficult? And this says front about bearing kit is it the same as the rear case bearings?
Old 02-23-2024, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Don't take this the wrong way but I think you will be in way over your head. If you can find a shop to do it you would be much better off and get it done faster if you need the car back on the road right away.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I dont have experience with the bearings, so I honestly don't know...
Old 02-23-2024, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
The rears are very easy to do but.....I have been repairing,building ,racing and working in a dealer for a very long time so I have seen a lot of stuff come down the pike and this repair would mean nothing to me.
I can walk someone through it but they need to be pretty mechanical and have lot's of tools, and a torch of some kind to get the bearings out.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 936 Likes on 728 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
There is an older thread several years old explaining how to r&r the rear bearings plus all parts required. Search on username Denroll.
I'll see about posting the link when I return home.

I'll also try to provide the Australian bearing distributor that carries the bearings. The bearings are made in a custom run about once a year by the manufacturer. I had an approximately six-month wait to obtain mine in a group order as none were in stock.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 02-23-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
I bought them the same time as well from them. Still in stock on the shelf LOL
Old 02-23-2024, 05:05 PM

E55 AMG
The rears are very easy to do but.....I have been repairing,building ,racing and working in a dealer for a very long time so I have seen a lot of stuff come down the pike and this repair would mean nothing to me.
I can walk someone through it but they need to be pretty mechanical and have lot's of tools, and a torch of some kind to get the bearings out.
I wanna try doing it myself because the worse that can happen is me needing a new supercharger. I don’t really need the car ASAP since I daily my other car and I don’t really know any reputable shops around me. Is there a DIY forum on this?
Old 02-24-2024, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 936 Likes on 728 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Start with these. You can go down the rabbit hole reading the hits in the advance search. You will note some super user named SICAMG is in many threads about the supercharger.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-items-2.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...re-closed.html
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...ercedes-521796

The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
nd-photo.nl (02-25-2024), Slow_55 (02-24-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:38 AM

E55 AMG
Alright guys today I got the motivation to finally pull the supercharger off and boy was that thing heavy. Here’s the video of how it sounds spinning it off the car :

Now that I have it off it looks like a headache to tear it apart and do the bearings. Should I just get a used supercharger for 850 that I found off of a cls55? Or should I attempt to change the bearings myself so that I can guarantee it won’t go out again in a while. How much would a shop charge to get the old bearings out and new ones in? I don’t really want to pay a shop to do it but if it’s cheaper than a used supercharger I’d go that route.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG CL55 | V12 CL600
Did you fix your knock-knock-knock problem?? I had the same problem/same sound on my 04 CL55 AMG with 160k on the odometer. Mine was loud!! Coming from right on top of the Supercharger, or so i thought.... So, I followed the forums and DIY'ers and they all pointed to the rear Supercharger bearings. [as a note, I replaced the stock supercharger clutch pulley (front), with a fixed-74MM supercharger pulley (no clutch, thus, no bearing there) years ago (amazing hp gains by the way), so there wasn't a front supercharger bearing issue to consider] -- I called the dude in Australia to get the rear bearings, paid a couple hundred bucks, waited two weeks for the bearing to get from down under to California. Pulled the Supercharger off the car -- four hours later, spun the SC and there was no real bearing knock with it off the car (weird). Since I had the bearing and supercharger off the car, i went ahead and replaced them anyway. Put it all back together, three hours later and the 'knock-knock-knock' was still there!! Needless to say, I was pis..., well, not happy, for a full days work on the car, position hadnt changed. My mechanic friend and i went around in our minds and determined the 'knock-knock-knock' was mechanical, broken rod, rod bearing cap, top of piston hitting stuck valve and/or that something wasn't getting enough oil. But I've been told these M113's are bullet-proof. Decided to drop the oil pan to take a look and BOOM -- clogged oil pump screen!! Not enough Oil/Oil Pressure getting circulated up to top of the motor.... specifically, the rear of the motor.....

Change and FLUSH your OIL PEOPLE. I didn't.

If this helps someone, I'm glad I shared. Time is never wasted if the knowledge is shared.
I spent 7 more hours than needed pulling out the friggin' heavy SC, and then replacing the Rear Bearings, when I just needed to drop the pan and clean the scre

Exposed. Takes two pull out the God-awful heavy SC

replaced these. for no reason.

Culprit. Judas! Clogged filter

Nice. Clean Filter. Screen

Put mama back together.

#ChristianPastorswithAMGsForJesus
#NoMoreKnockKnock
#JesusSaves
Old 04-23-2024, 07:29 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Kevo-1
Did you fix your knock-knock-knock problem?? I had the same problem/same sound on my 04 CL55 AMG with 160k on the odometer. Mine was loud!! Coming from right on top of the Supercharger, or so i thought.... So, I followed the forums and DIY'ers and they all pointed to the rear Supercharger bearings. [as a note, I replaced the stock supercharger clutch pulley (front), with a fixed-74MM supercharger pulley (no clutch, thus, no bearing there) years ago (amazing hp gains by the way), so there wasn't a front supercharger bearing issue to consider] -- I called the dude in Australia to get the rear bearings, paid a couple hundred bucks, waited two weeks for the bearing to get from down under to California. Pulled the Supercharger off the car -- four hours later, spun the SC and there was no real bearing knock with it off the car (weird). Since I had the bearing and supercharger off the car, i went ahead and replaced them anyway. Put it all back together, three hours later and the 'knock-knock-knock' was still there!! Needless to say, I was pis..., well, not happy, for a full days work on the car, position hadnt changed. My mechanic friend and i went around in our minds and determined the 'knock-knock-knock' was mechanical, broken rod, rod bearing cap, top of piston hitting stuck valve and/or that something wasn't getting enough oil. But I've been told these M113's are bullet-proof. Decided to drop the oil pan to take a look and BOOM -- clogged oil pump screen!! Not enough Oil/Oil Pressure getting circulated up to top of the motor.... specifically, the rear of the motor.....

Change and FLUSH your OIL PEOPLE. I didn't.

If this helps someone, I'm glad I shared. Time is never wasted if the knowledge is shared.
I spent 7 more hours than needed pulling out the friggin' heavy SC, and then replacing the Rear Bearings, when I just needed to drop the pan and clean the scre

Exposed. Takes two pull out the God-awful heavy SC

replaced these. for no reason.

Culprit. Judas! Clogged filter

Nice. Clean Filter. Screen

Put mama back together.

#ChristianPastorswithAMGsForJesus
#NoMoreKnockKnock
#JesusSaves
Yeah it did end up being the supercharger but people on the forums said it’s too hard to change out the rear bearings so I just bought a used supercharger for 850. I made sure it was my supercharger before I bought anything by removing the belt and turning the engine on the knocking would still lightly be there because the supercharger was still getting air to spin but when I’d stop the black magnet from spinning while the motor was on the knocking would go away. At least now you know you don’t need to worry about your rear bearings since you did them. But the clogged oil pump is crazyy! How does that even happen and how often did you change your oil. I do mine every 3k miles with liquid moly. But I don’t know how often the last owner would change it. And are there any issues with your car knocking now?
Old 04-24-2024, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Ow wow, thanks for posting this. This was disaster waiting to happen
Old 04-30-2024, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG CL55 | V12 CL600
Originally Posted by Slow_55
Yeah it did end up being the supercharger but people on the forums said it’s too hard to change out the rear bearings so I just bought a used supercharger for 850. I made sure it was my supercharger before I bought anything by removing the belt and turning the engine on the knocking would still lightly be there because the supercharger was still getting air to spin but when I’d stop the black magnet from spinning while the motor was on the knocking would go away. At least now you know you don’t need to worry about your rear bearings since you did them. But the clogged oil pump is crazyy! How does that even happen and how often did you change your oil. I do mine every 3k miles with liquid moly. But I don’t know how often the last owner would change it. And are there any issues with your car knocking now?
Glad it was your supercharger! These cars are so much fun when they're on the road. When I was running around trying to sort it out, I pulled off the SC belt and stopped the black magnet from spinning too, but I still got the knock-knock, just at a little lesser volume. Unfortunately, I still have a knock, after buttoning it all back up, just a little less loud than before. I might be in the market for a replacement SC. Maybe I did the repair too late and there is some internal damage in the SC.

I may have been more of a 10-12k mile oil change guy, always running Mobil 1. The oil didn't look terrible, but the screen was certainly clogged up.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
If I still knocks with the supercharger stopped and not rotating at all....it's not the supercharger
nd-photo.nl (05-01-2024)