W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

My Baby got Rear Ended by a 16 Year Old Punk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Many good points here but to be honest... you get hit... you have to deal with it. The car is insured so I would just go get it fixed and be back on the road asap. Not trying to belittle you for I have been hit in many cars. It hurts every time but there is nothing you can do about it.

But I would take the car to only 1 body shop in Los Angeles. I have known the onwer of Beverly Coach Craft on Sawtell (south of olympic on Sawtell but before pico -- Last Freeway Exit on the 405 before the 10-405 interchange and then turn left... on the left in about 200 feet) in West LA for 20 years and he does the best work around. I have had many cars fixed there. He only works on MB's and he never takes any insurance company BS (on cutting corners). I went to him to get my rear quarter pannel re-painted when someone was nice enough to key my car. They are truely honest people.

PM me if you want any info about the shop. I would never trust anyone else with my car. I would say you should do the same No I dont own the place but drive by and see the cars they work on... you wont be disapointed at all.

Your car will be back to perfect soon and from the pictures the damage is not that terribly serious. Very fixable. Routine repair.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Seriously...best wishes on a quick recovery... I hate freakin morons who drive like they own the road. I'm sorry about the car...it's almost too painful to look at
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should go about getting a new E55? Should I just have mine fixed and trade it in or is there another way I could go about it? My car only has 3700 miles on it!
Sorry about the car but it could have been much much worse and thankfuly it wasn't . I don't know of any *ethical way you can get a new car due to the accident so just fix it and trade it on a post Nov build date...*don't do anything that will come back to haunt you. Who knows maybe the repair will be 100%
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
sorry to about your misfortune.
having a expensive new vehicle damaged just plain sucks.

as for repair or trade or repair and sell...i would get a quote on
the damages from your dealer. i would then check KBB and cars.com
to see what used E55's are selling for with similiar mileage. then
i would talk to my dealer to see what they would offer me on a
trade.
when you get this information together then make a decision if you
want to go through a repair or trade it as is. i would be concerned
that the paint will be difficult to match. the last thing you want
is to look at it and every time see a difference in the texture and
color of the paint finish. again sorry and good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by S55inPA
sorry to about your misfortune.
having a expensive new vehicle damaged just plain sucks.

as for repair or trade or repair and sell...i would get a quote on
the damages from your dealer. i would then check KBB and cars.com
to see what used E55's are selling for with similiar mileage. then
i would talk to my dealer to see what they would offer me on a
trade.
when you get this information together then make a decision if you
want to go through a repair or trade it as is. i would be concerned
that the paint will be difficult to match. the last thing you want
is to look at it and every time see a difference in the texture and
color of the paint finish. again sorry and good luck.
In the end the car is not hit that hard. I have had cars hit with 10x the force that were fixed perfectly. THe trick is using a good body shop and having a insurance company that is not scared to throw money at the car. I have seen SL500's that had 2k miles get 60k in body work. The car was fine after the repair and the onwer was perfectly happy.

The paint is not hard to match. I have never seen a car I had painted come back with a mis-match. Again a good body shop can do this sort of repair in their sleep. On a side note, there is no way to re-paint a car with nano paint. THe car needs to have the nano layer baked on and no body shop has the ability to perform this service. THe heat required would also damage the car. In reality however, the nano paint is most important on the front (rock chips) so a rear bumper and quarter pannel with no nano paint is not a big issue.

If you dont like the car after it is fixed you can trade it but you will take a real bath.

I say the car will be fine. Go to beverly coach craft or Paulee bodyshop and they will take great care of you. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:42 AM

E320
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
On a side note, there is no way to re-paint a car with nano paint. THe car needs to have the nano layer baked on and no body shop has the ability to perform this service. THe heat required would also damage the car.
Derived from an ASTON MARTIN discussion board...
Phil Thearle's Autowerks in San Diego has a brand new 12M dollar - 70,000 sq-ft facility that is equipped with the latest equipment and paint technologies. The new technologies include catalyst paint systems that allows a customer to have any body piece prep'd, painted, sanded, buffed, polished and ready to be installed onto the vehicle within 1 hour! They also have armor paint technologies that comes very close to nano paint from the factory.

The shop is amazingly owns 15 paint booths, 12 Celette frame jigs and robotic (computerized) spot welders and pullers just like the factory. Celette frame jigs are high-tech equipment that other shops can only afford to rent ($$$) as needed, and others have NOT heard of it at all. The shop is so sophisticated that other shops send work to these guys on work that they give up on. There's about 150 cars being worked inside simultaneously, and about 125 waiting on backlog at any given time.

They are not cheap either, obviously; but it will be my primary choice for any type of work. Aside from Fletcher Jones, they are the only privately owned collision repair that can work on the CL (W215) body.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Seriously...best wishes on a quick recovery... I hate freakin morons who drive like they own the road. I'm sorry about the car...it's almost too painful to look at

Besides moronic drivers, anybody else hate rock hauling trucks on highways like I do...got nailed and left with couple of paint chips...not painful like this wreck but still annoying and not an easy fix...

Hope everything turns out OK for you...I'm glad your OK healthwise...at least you can drive another AMG car another day...

Last edited by AMGfan; 11-17-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by aries palmiotto
Derived from an ASTON MARTIN discussion board...
Now we need a shop like that in the ny/nj area!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
My E55 is being towed down to Phil Thearle's Autowerks in the morning. They seem to be the most capable facility by far. I am putting a deposit on a CLS55 tomorrow and I will be number 5 on that dealers list with a late April/early May delivery. I love my E55 but I want something with a new shape and similair underpinnings. I still will keep my E55 untill the CLS is ready. I just ordered 20" HRE's for the E55 a couple weeks ago. Will I have to sell them or will they fit the CLS? If anyone knows, please help.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The HRE's you bought will fit on the CLS since the bolt pattern and the chasis is the same as the W211.

But I too am contemplating of getting a CLS now since it has that better steering rack.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
MB Fanatic, the E55 will be getting the new steering rack from the CLS.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Finally, my E55 is back. It was hit November 13th and I picked it up this past Tuesday from Phil Thearles Autowerks in San Diego. They did a phenominal job, if ever their was a facility that could make a car look as if it were never hit, it is this one! I would recommend them to anyone who lives in SoCal. Its good to have her back, and its less than 3 weeks till my CLS55 is delivered which is both exciting and sad as the E means a lot to me and I wish I could have both. Maybe in a couple years!

Anyway, I want to thank you all for your concern and help. I would not have known about Phil Thearles without this resource(thanks to Aries P)! My settlement is still a few months away and I am at 95% + in terms of my injuries. My neck still acts up a little sometimes but its ok.

Last edited by VelocitE55; 04-23-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Finally, my E55 is back. It was hit November 13th and I picked it up this past Tuesday from Phil Thearles Autowerks in San Diego. They did a phenominal job, if ever their was a facility that could make a car look as if it were never hit, it is this one! I would recommend them to anyone who lives in SoCal. Its good to have her back, and its less than 3 weeks till my CLS55 is delivered which is both exciting and sad as the E means a lot to me and I wish I could have both. Maybe in a couple years!

Anyway, I want to thank you all for your concern and help. I would not have known about Phil Thearles without this resource(thanks to Aries P)! My settlement is still a few months away and I am at 95% + in terms of my injuries. My neck still acts up a little sometimes but its ok.

Time for some new HREs! hahaha j/k goodluck with the CLS55 when u get it. The Few CLS55's i see on the road i drool over!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:24 AM

E55
VelocitE55 - who are the insurance companies for the other drivers? Could you give us an idea how well they are responding.

I have had terrible problems with Allstate - it's their policy to deny, deny, deny!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG WAGON
wow

Im really sorry.. it hurts.. any word on what MB thinks? Have you decided on what your gonna do? Was it leased or owned?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Finally, my E55 is back. It was hit November 13th and I picked it up this past Tuesday from Phil Thearles Autowerks in San Diego. They did a phenominal job...
Glad to hear you're getting better and the car came out ok, but it has been 5 months! Did the insurance company tie it up that long?