Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Headunit cutting out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Aftermarket Headunit cutting out

Hi please delete if not allowed but I have an 03 E55 and recently I’ve had trouble with a DDX9903s Kenwood head unit i have.
As of recently it will suddenly stop playing sound a few minutes after turning on the car. The reason i post it here is because right as it cuts out i will hear a shocking/snapping sound right behind the dash and was wondering if there are any components behind there that could be affecting it. I’ve checked all the wires I see and nothing seems out of the ordinary. TIA
Old 03-19-2024, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by chrissalta
Hi please delete if not allowed but I have an 03 E55 and recently I’ve had trouble with a DDX9903s Kenwood head unit i have.
As of recently it will suddenly stop playing sound a few minutes after turning on the car. The reason i post it here is because right as it cuts out i will hear a shocking/snapping sound right behind the dash and was wondering if there are any components behind there that could be affecting it. I’ve checked all the wires I see and nothing seems out of the ordinary. TIA
If I had to guess I'd say the shocking snapping sound you hear is the defrost vent on the passenger side getting stuck and the motor trying to push through... It' s a known problem on pre-facelift (03-06) cars where the end stop tabs get broken off. This would happen if you had the HVAC on; if you didn't have the HVAC on then no clue. I don't however think this is related to the audio. Are you using the stock audio gateway amplifier, or are you using separate amplifiers?