Sponsored by:

Problems with V1 Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Problems with V1 Hardwire Install

So I had the V1 installed over the weekend, and the first attempt did not go so well. Not that the placement of the unit matters with the problem I am having but the V1 is installed as follows. the unit itself is to behind the rear view mirror on the right hand side, just the rear facing "eye" sticks beyond the right edge of the rear view mirror. the remote display is mounted to the underside of the ashtray lid. It is a very slick setup in my opinion, I will post pictures later.

My problem, my 04 has keyless go and it appears that the cig. lighter is not switched, but it has constant power? The V1 is currently "tapped" into the Cig lighter and does not turn off with the ignition. The installer stated that they would either use the switched line on the radio "taking the dash apart" or run a wire to the fuse box under the hood, "taking apart a good portion of the car". Their preference is the radio due shorter wires. I am very scared that they folks are really going to screw up the E55, does anybody have a clue? All comments are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL 500
Doesn't it have an on/off switch?
Regardless, although I don't have the unit, there have been quite a few posts here regarding how to get power to radar detectors that a search would turn up.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Yes, there is an on off switch. And yes, a search did provide results. Where I am stuff is that the wire that has been tapped is the wire that from the search it would appear is a switched power source....
Old 11-18-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2010 ML350
don't have mine yet, so i have to ask you this. where is the fusebox inside the car? get an ohm-meter and check for voltage when the car is on and off. you should find your circuit to tap into. just make sure you aren't stealing for a vital circuit.