W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

airmatic level height sensor questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2024 | 12:13 PM

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
airmatic level height sensor questions

do these sensors work poorly without throwing errors or when they start to have dead spots, they'll throw a code right away? i did receive an error a few years ago for one sensor of which i replaced. i have been struggling with getting my airmatic to properly level the car for years. after raising back up, i was able to get all 4 corners to have the same fender height, but while driving the car tends to become higher on one side 50% of the time. i've replaced all airbags, only thing left is of the 1 front sensors a the single rear level sensor. and not getting any airmatic codes. i do have to mention is after i raised the suspension back up to expected ride height versus lowered, the shocks do work a lot better than before. i have the idea that i've set the airmatic height an inch too high and if the airmatic isn't at its correct range, the auto leveling doesn't work well.

one other question is, the voltage for the front sensors, do they both move in the same direction or opposite directions? meaning when you raise or lower, one side increases voltage and the other side decreases in voltage? or do they move in the same direction?

front left and right sensor part number 010-542-77-17

Last edited by eightysixtuned; 05-21-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2024 | 04:56 PM

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
final adjustment got me to which was perfect

Left Front 2.41v
Right Front 2.47v
Rear 2.45v

then after 10 minutes of freeway and mixed driving I check again while stationary and my passenger side is half an inch lower and reading

Left Front 2.57v
Right Front 2.24v
Rear 2.69v

I then proceed to recalibrate to level only needing to adjust the front right which brings up the whole passenger side which returns the same or similar results as before, go for a 10 minute mixed driving run, check again, the results look like the second reading with passenger side half an in lower. it's being driven from the front right being lower and the Airmatic computer not bringing it back up. not sure why the Airmatic computer isn't airing it up. I have no leaks.

and yes confirmed, both sensors move in opposite directions on voltage. also started using 3.4 and -1.2 on the degree confirmation screen versus prior using 3.5 and -1.1 as these two seemed to not lock the suspension as set.