W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does the E55 look better with a CL Grill?
Yep, it adds to the already sweet looking exterior!
35.53%
Nope, I just think it's "too much" for the exterior of the BEAST!
64.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

To CL Grill, or not to CL Grill...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by oggle
That grille looks nice! However I have to say... the CL grille looks much nicer on the C than the E.
Oggle, I think you took the words right out of my mouth! I'm gonna stick with the OEM Grill that came with the car. I think the CL grill is just a little too much for my Beast.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBenz
From what I know the "real" expression grill is frameless. Dr.Chill the grill picture that you posted is the same is MBHK except that yours is still unpainted. I think it's available in UK i believed, not many people used it. I prefer to call it SL/CLK grill. I never see it in action, but if it's available in the US i like to try one. Do you guys realize that SL/CLK and M Class have similar grill model (frameless, 4-bars)?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
You guys have convinced me, my car is ugly. I'm just gonna take that Lorinser grille off my car and toss it in the garbage, so nobody else can degrade their car with it. Now, I'm starting to even like the 5 series. Maybe someone with a 545i will take a trade-straight up. My "Tucker", for what it's worth is Blue, not Black.
Dont say that! First of all, I think it looks good. I simply don't like the grill on light color cars. And after taking a closer look, your car does have a blue tint to it! I didn't notice at first but thats a gorgeous color. Whats it called?

Last edited by zdkdeeier493; 12-03-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:50 AM

hi....I don't like the CL Grill on the E-Class...

but If I own an E55 one day...it'll be black or tektite...and the Grill will be black painted...why nobody's done this mods on this forum? It looks !!!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:55 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
I personally love the cl grille with hood badge. Stock is beautiful, put just out of my own preferences i decided to add the cl grille. I feel like it gave the car a lower stance (makes the lines of the car even better, if that is possible) and that definitely looks more aggressive.

e55's are all bada$$....stop hating...we are all in the same family

Dr. Chill....same thing happened to me. I bought the expression grille first and thought it wasn't as nice as i thought it would be. Had some trouble with fitment and relaly didn't like the flimsy plastic frame.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:08 PM

xx
I bought an Expressions grille first and it is a piece of crap. It is not frameless mand has a plastic frame that fits over the end of the hood. It is fairly well hidden in the picture, but if you look closely, it is there. The construction is very poor and I returned it and picked up the Lorinser. It is a much higher quality than the others and looks like this from the factory.

Where do you get the Lorinser grill and how much is it?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by lpolo
i love the CL Grill "expression style" the one that just has 4 bars only (not 5 bars). here is the picture, this grill compliment the car looks sportier and more like SL/CLK style. i noticed several people have in C-Class, but not in E.
I agree, but you need to modify the whole front, glue color-coded surround onto the hood, fill in joints, file , re-spray... must I go on? I have enquired already from Expressions in Belgium.
All this for a grille from a pseudo-sporty barge (CL)? No thanks.
Attached Thumbnails To CL Grill, or not to CL Grill...-expressions-w211-grille-bonnet.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lpolo
IMO the only grills that are perfect for W211 is just the OEM grill itself and this expression grill below. This is the one that I mentioned before, the style is similar to SL/CLK Grill. Frameless and not many bars. I found this picture online but don't know where to buy. W211 with this grill looks more aggressive and sporty. At least in my taste
Your link: www.expression.be Good luck, I made the enquiries, lots of work on the hood before you get the "framework" right for the grille. Cheaper to buy a CL...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Peter B
i like mine alot too
Yes, but you also like chrome headlight surrounds, PIAA blue lights and lots of bling all over, including under the hood! Your car is individually done just as you like it. Most of us are as conservative as a retired dentist...
Old 06-18-2005, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
I think the CL grill looked really good on my C32, so I got one for my new silver E55.
Its doesnt blend quite as well as I'd like. I chose black grill with silver edge to the bars.
It does make the car look lower and wider, and meaner... I think, with a flat hood badge.

And I like it

Each to his own!

And the GT150 phillips highbeam globes are very useful Downunder.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OzE55
I think the CL grill looked really good on my C32, so I got one for my new silver E55.
Its doesnt blend quite as well as I'd like. I chose black grill with silver edge to the bars.
It does make the car look lower and wider, and meaner... I think, with a flat hood badge.

And I like it

Each to his own!

And the GT150 phillips highbeam globes are very useful Downunder.
You are right, the black grille looks better than silver, as it resembles the OEM.
I noticed a blue reflection in your high beam. I also tried these blue Japanese globes and the light they emitted was whiter than the Xenon. I just didn't like the OFF-look when the whole light looks blue in daylight. Is yours like that too or just a hint of blue? I did leave the blue globes in the parking and fog lights, not so obvious.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Rafal
You are right, the black grille looks better than silver, as it resembles the OEM.
I noticed a blue reflection in your high beam. I also tried these blue Japanese globes and the light they emitted was whiter than the Xenon. I just didn't like the OFF-look when the whole light looks blue in daylight. Is yours like that too or just a hint of blue? I did leave the blue globes in the parking and fog lights, not so obvious.
The Philips GT150 globes I got from the UK. They had good reviews unlike PIAA.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/pro...cat=256&page=1
http://www.performancebulbs.co.uk/

They are whiter than the stock bulbs, but not blue when on. In daylight if you walk past the car you'd hardly notice the light blue cap on the end. The glass is only slightly tinted.
They are brighter than stock and I think throw more light. I want to do the parking lights but I want white light not blue - any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OzE55
The Philips GT150 globes I got from the UK. They had good reviews unlike PIAA.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/pro...cat=256&page=1
http://www.performancebulbs.co.uk/

They are whiter than the stock bulbs, but not blue when on. In daylight if you walk past the car you'd hardly notice the light blue cap on the end. The glass is only slightly tinted.
They are brighter than stock and I think throw more light. I want to do the parking lights but I want white light not blue - any suggestions?
I tried the parking LED white and they kept flickering from dim to crazy bright, something wrong with the DC voltage - ditched them. Now I have BLUE 5w globes, too small to cast a blue reflection in the mirrors, but when ON, it has a bluey-purple glow instead of yellow, to match the low beam Xenon. I got them from SRS Asia Pacific , 368 Sussex St. Sydney.
They have all the Asian aftermarket stuff you get on the internet, in stock.
All makes, MB, BMW, Honda etc.Including your black grille for AUD330.00. Also comes in All CHROME, WHITE/chrome and SILVER/chrome.
Today I also put in ALL CHROME indicator bulbs, which do not show any AMBER when OFF but are just a fraction dimmer than OE AMBER when ON.
My silver front is all monochromatic now...
Old 06-19-2005, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Thumbs down

No Way! Don't Do It
Old 06-19-2005, 09:30 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I bought a silver cl grill and put it on but after a few weeks took it off. It made the nose look too big. I've got it hanging on my wall in my shop. Expensive wall hanging.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 PM

xx
Much more aggressive look IMO. I love the body color grille, especially in Capri Blue. But then again, I'm a little biased.

I'm thinking about getting a black E55 and doing a black grill with black star. What is the best source for that grill and what is the cost?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Is the black CL grill a stock MB OEM part?
Does the CL / CLK /etc. grill fit a W211?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM

'10 E63 AMG
New CL Grille

Here's some photos of my old grille, and the new one installed for comparison.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=cl+grille
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Woah, my thread is back from the dead. Still, not CL Grill for my E55...just doesn't work on the car for me. Obviously, people think otherwise and that's what makes it cool to see what each person does to his/her own car to make it different. It would be quite boring to log on here and see eleventy-billion silver W211 E55's totally stock and all looking the same.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I dont like any grille with a big star.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 AM

'05 E55, HRE 847R's black centers, black grille
nah

I don't think any of the CL grilles really look that great. I opted for the paint-matched OEM grille.