Drove an SL 65 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Drove an SL 65 today

Went to my dealer today to give him a check for my wife's ML 500 that we'll be picking up later today. While BS'ng about cars got on the topic of the 65 cars. Kiddingly asked him if he had one and he said he did. Asked him if I could take it for a spin and he said sure, let me get a plate

Walked in the back and found a silver 65. Got in started her up and got the "consumables unavailable error". Let it run for a few minutes and he pulled it out of the dealership. He drove for the first few minutes, floored it a few times and the car is just stupid fast. He slows to make a right hand turn so I can drive and the car dies!!! Just like mine. "Hey, I'm glad to see for an extra $100K I get the same stalling issues I have in my car" LOL. So, I hop in and take it back onto the road. Unfortunately it's a pretty busy road so I couldn't go to nuts. But, I can say I did my best to break it in for whoever buys the car! The car is just silly fast. From a stop, just the hint of an aggressive right foot will spin the tires. Same thing if you're doing 50. Hit the gas and your fishtailing all over the place. The hand-stitched leather that runs up the console to the top of the dash is beautiful. Just cruising along, the car is completely civilized, great ride, no shakes or rattles. I've heard a lot of people say "Is it worth an extra $55K (or so) over the SL 55"? I drove an SL55 at an AMG challenge and there is a BIG difference. Is the delta worth it? Based on my drive today and what I remember from the SL 55 I say a resounding yes.

Let's make believe I had money like that for a car (and if my wife wouldn't throw me out). Would I buy it? Not sure. It can certainly be used as an everyday car, but I don't use my car as an everyday car. So, if it wasn't being used for everyday driving, maybe for about the same money, a Ferrari F430 would be the ticket. Or, for a little more (hell, if I can go 185 I can go a little more, right?) a 911 turbo and the E55. Now, that would be a great combo and give the best of both worlds.

But I gotta say, that thing has got just earth shattering torque and on demand accelaration.

Last edited by cte430; 12-16-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:37 PM

E63, GT500
Hey thanks for the info...i noticed you used the word "Delta" when referring to the price difference...are you a trader?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the write up. I am dying to test out a 65. They have one at my dealership but its in the showroom roped off. I don't really want to bother my slsperson to get it out and take it for a spin. I would really rather have a 4 door 65, but the S is a bit too big and the new style is coming.

amgB
Old 12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Bubbaboy
Hey thanks for the info...i noticed you used the word "Delta" when referring to the price difference...are you a trader?
Nope, work for Siemens Medical Solutions. Used to work for GE Medical systems and "delta" is kind of a GE buzz word. Guess I picked it up there.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Originally Posted by Bubbaboy
Lol well are *you* a trader ;-)