Sponsored by:

Test Drove a Bentley Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Test Drove a Bentley Continental GT

Had a friend bring by (His boss's) a Bentley Continental GT that we test drove -My first impressions:

Quieter than our E's
Suspension I would rate a step above ours(granted a much heavier car)

Initial throttle you think/sense as quick as our 55's and then ...........
.........as you wind up thru 1st and second gear - I Realize our E's will walk away from the Continental GT. all day long

Tranny shifting is not as Quick as our's-(They're protecting for reliability)
......hence-it's much more deliberate and sedate shifting from 1-2 & 2-3.

Car and Driver states a 12.9 1/4 mile-----NO WAY More like a 13.3-13.5 in the 1/4 at best!!
Other than that-A Quality built car with very Good performance but Not worth (IMO) the extra $140K but a definite step above ours. -

BTW-Afterwards I had him drive my E55 -
I turned Off ESP - he floored it and proceeded to say "Oh Shi.." and immediately let off the throttle!! He didn't know what hit him & could not believe the performance. He said we have a Real Bargain for the money!!

WE have a GREAT car in our E's!!!

Last edited by Kens-E55; 12-17-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
There is something about the Conti GT that i just find to be sub par for its class. Its the interior look and the performance. For me i believe the Aston Martin DB9 just dust it in every category. Not to mention the DB9 sounds like it was born in hell and had to fight its way out to us.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Cl600

I agree the DB9 is the more interesting choice versus the Bentley, but the CL600 is the best of these three.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Thanks for the review. I'd go with the CL600 when it is all said and done. I've driven my uncle's 03 CL600 and man o man -
Old 12-16-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by shoes
I agree the DB9 is the more interesting choice versus the Bentley, but the CL600 is the best of these three.
Only problem i find with the CL is that its too plan. I liked the last more boxy bodystyle over the newer more rounded shape. To me the CLs dont stick out enough, compared to the DB9. Hopefully the new CL will stick out more, from the renderings ive seen it will.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
Only problem i find with the CL is that its too plan. I liked the last more boxy bodystyle over the newer more rounded shape. To me the CLs dont stick out enough, compared to the DB9. Hopefully the new CL will stick out more, from the renderings ive seen it will.
As much as I agree with you, I kind of don't want to at the same time because the CL is supposed to be the executive's classy coupe ya know? It's supposed to be the 'walk soft, carry big stick' kinda car. You can always tell a CL from any other Mercedes, but it always blends into a crowd of luxury cars like it belongs.

The GT, it's cool and all, but I think a lot of the coolness IMO comes from just being a Bentley.

The DB9 is on a level I can't even start about. I've never even seen one in life. Another unicorn.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
E55 is the best!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I love my 55.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
As much as I agree with you, I kind of don't want to at the same time because the CL is supposed to be the executive's classy coupe ya know? It's supposed to be the 'walk soft, carry big stick' kinda car. You can always tell a CL from any other Mercedes, but it always blends into a crowd of luxury cars like it belongs.

The GT, it's cool and all, but I think a lot of the coolness IMO comes from just being a Bentley.

The DB9 is on a level I can't even start about. I've never even seen one in life. Another unicorn.
Yes i do agree with you though that for the All around executive car, the CL600 is the best bang for the buck. Although if i had the money i think id get a 612 Scalegetti. Something about that car strikes me.

Its ok, Ive never seen an Enzo or an F50. Im seen almost every other type of ferrari. I actively hunt ferraris during the day, i will go to my towns golf courses and pray for the day an enzo will be there. Hopefully since i just met this guy who has a Ferrari F40, and 360 Modena, maybe he knows someone with an Enzo.

Where do you live ricky, maybe i can help you with your hunt for Supercars. I Consider myself an Exotic hunter.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I live in Sugar Land. It's a very diverse place, in one spot you'll find 65's, Modenas, you name it. Drive down a few minutes, and you'll be in one of the worst spots ever.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 AM

Don't currently own a vehicle.
Continental GT

I think the hottest thing about the GT is the third brake light on top of the window that spans the whole length of the window. I saw on at night and didn't know what it was, but loved the brake light and when I passed it, I realized what it was. It's a hot car but the DB9 is way hotter.