Sponsored by:

Adaptive Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Adaptive Transmission

Pardon my ignorance but does anyone know how the adaptive transmission controller effects shifting? How long does it take to change the characteristics to my driving style?

I have noticed that if I drive very conservatively for awhile the transmission seems to lag on downshifts and sometimes doesn't downshift at all. On the other hand when driving aggressively this seems to perk up the shifting program. Is it my imagination or is the program that intrusive.

Also does changing the suspension setting to sport 2 or turning off the ESP have any effect on this program? Each time you restart the car does it go back to the default level or does it continue to remember driving style from the day before?

Would it help the straight line WOT performance to "reboot" the memory in the controller when you want to get the best performance. When I had my E500 I complained about this phenomena to my dealer and he wiped out the memory and it seemed to make the transmission go back to the way it felt when brand new.

Thanks for info,
Capt Question
Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Did a search.....da... Found some answers.

Apparently takes 40 shifts to change the program. The suspension control is not interfaced with the trans. And it only changes the rpm that shifts occur at. Doesn't effect the speed or firmness of the shift. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard different things about "reboot". Some say d/c battery for 30 min, others say just d/c battery and "drain" the capacitors. Others say that this won't do it that it takes special device or MB to make controller fall back to default.

Regardless, it seems that it adapts much faster than I had realized.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Did a search.....da... Found some answers.

Apparently takes 40 shifts to change the program. The suspension control is not interfaced with the trans. And it only changes the rpm that shifts occur at. Doesn't effect the speed or firmness of the shift. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard different things about "reboot". Some say d/c battery for 30 min, others say just d/c battery and "drain" the capacitors. Others say that this won't do it that it takes special device or MB to make controller fall back to default.

Regardless, it seems that it adapts much faster than I had realized.
Good info, TY
Old 01-14-2005, 12:18 PM

2005 C230 SS
so can anyone confirm the "correct" way to reset this adaptive driving feature?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Banned

sounds like if you floor it 40 straight time itll relearn you.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Don't disconnect your battery! You'll have a host of other problems that will probably mean a trip to the dealer. ABS light, windows not going all the way up or down, etc. Sometimes it seems like some cars don't have a lot of issues, others say EVERYTHING was screwed up with a bead or disconnected battery. My '02 E430 had issues with ABS light, sunroof wouldn't close etc. I kept screwing with it, and after several key on/key off cycles and trying to re-sync the roof, I avoided the dealer. Others aren't so lucky. Just drive it like you stole it on the way to the track.