W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raced an m3!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is definitely a possibility, DRCrowder. Unfortunately we are all working off of very preliminary information. I think the E63 will have a significantly modified suspension and will have at least one look or two taken at offsetting that weight by moving some of it towards the rear or lightening parts. I also wouldn't be suprised if sensotronic is forgone for brake-by-hydraulics. I am also hoping that the block, since I am told it is a clean sheet design, will be much wider and less tall to improve weight shift and lower center of gravity. I am also hoping tubbing will improve in front and back and allow wider tires up front to improve front end grip, improving undesteer conditions, and wider tires out back, improving straight-line traction. But, you might be right, they may do none of these things and just replace the engine. I am told they are pretty antsy to do this because of the heat problem and ceiling associated with the 5.5 kompressor package. Also, I think they have heard enough of clutch problems from customers and are going back to natural aspiration and turbo charging to eliminate these types of problems from warranty work and customer satisfaction perspectives.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 PM

P.S.

A transverse mount would be awesome because it could make a huge difference in weight distribution and cure the understeer in one fell swoop in all likelihood.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 PM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by rguy
That is definitely a possibility, DRCrowder. Unfortunately we are all working off of very preliminary information. I think the E63 will have a significantly modified suspension and will have at least one look or two taken at offsetting that weight by moving some of it towards the rear or lightening parts. I also wouldn't be suprised if sensotronic is forgone for brake-by-hydraulics. I am also hoping that the block, since I am told it is a clean sheet design, will be much wider and less tall to improve weight shift and lower center of gravity. I am also hoping tubbing will improve in front and back and allow wider tires up front to improve front end grip, improving undesteer conditions, and wider tires out back, improving straight-line traction. But, you might be right, they may do none of these things and just replace the engine. I am told they are pretty antsy to do this because of the heat problem and ceiling associated with the 5.5 kompressor package. Also, I think they have heard enough of clutch problems from customers and are going back to natural aspiration and turbo charging to eliminate these types of problems from warranty work and customer satisfaction perspectives.
All of that would do the job, and I'd trade in for one if that were the case. I tend to look at the higher end models to see what flows downhill as MB isn’t going to put better technology in an E63 than in a SL/CL 65. If you take that outlook, soft suspensions and nose heavy cruisers may be the way of the MB near future for the E class.

As a side note, you may have seen a thread by Dr Chill with some awesome stories of an E55 doing a "decent" job of handling at a track. I'd never expect it to pull the .98g's my Z4 does, but his stories are impressive nonetheless.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I read all about the Dr. Chill chronicles. He has done some amazing things with the E, but I think he is running some pretty extensive modifications to make that happen. I think the E can handle, it just needs to be reworked post-purchase for that to happen. I think it can brake as well, it just again needs reworking. I wish those things came from the factory, or I would have an E55 right now instead of a C55.

Being 6'2" and a fit and muscular 250 lbs, I certainly appreciated the space that the E afforded. Ultimately I sacrificed some comfort for a more back-to-basics approach which happens to be cheaper too, largely owing to the lack of certain tech features that I don't miss too much. Cost really wasn't a significant factor though.

I find it interesting that you look to the higher classes to forecast the next generation. I have always looked at what BMW was offering for roughly the same money and then what Audi (only recently) has been doing. Audi is starting to have the makings of becoming a real german player.

Keep your fingers crossed, as I am.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:47 PM

E55
Originally Posted by rguy
Yeah, I read all about the Dr. Chill chronicles. He has done some amazing things with the E, but I think he is running some pretty extensive modifications to make that happen. I think the E can handle, it just needs to be reworked post-purchase for that to happen. I think it can brake as well, it just again needs reworking. I wish those things came from the factory, or I would have an E55 right now instead of a C55.

Being 6'2" and a fit and muscular 250 lbs, I certainly appreciated the space that the E afforded. Ultimately I sacrificed some comfort for a more back-to-basics approach which happens to be cheaper too, largely owing to the lack of certain tech features that I don't miss too much. Cost really wasn't a significant factor though.

I find it interesting that you look to the higher classes to forecast the next generation. I have always looked at what BMW was offering for roughly the same money and then what Audi (only recently) has been doing. Audi is starting to have the makings of becoming a real german player.

Keep your fingers crossed, as I am.
I was going to argue a little on your view of the E55. That was some shot. An E55 as a third vehicle? Ouch. However, being that you are 6'2" and 250lbs I think I will just agree with you.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Rev It Up,

Please don't misunderstand. I have the C55 (my first choice) and could not justify an E55 purchase (due to utility overlap) without first buying an SUV or some sort of all-purpose vehicle that is good in the winter too. The E55 would have to be third because of this, not because of rank. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also, thanks for making me laugh with the height and weight line. I wrote fit and muscular so that people would know I had trouble fitting width and length wise, rather than having trouble getting my belly between the seat back and the steering wheel. I didn't really write that to intimidate anyone, just to explain that the C is a little cozy for me. I don't think I have laughed at much that has been written on these boards in awhile, so again thanks.