Sponsored by:

*** Water/Alky Injection Project ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I was quoted $840 for the Aquamist 2D. Our roots blower has the lowest adiabatic efficency of all FI, generally somewhere around 60-65%.

Victor: Since the 1s unit arrived over the weekend, I guess I'll stick with the unit and hope for good results. I expect to install it when the rain dies down here in So Cal.
Hey Richard,

Mine was supposed to be here by now but I havent had a chance to get over to the shop to check on it. I am really anxious to get it installed..

Good luck on your install. Just remember, use the smallest nozzle to make sure you dont lean it out. For an extra margin of safety use a 50/50 mix of water & methanol. Dont run pure water and dont run pure Meth!

P.S-> You know it has to be distilled water right?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Great post. The system looks really cool. Proof is in the pudding. Get it on the Dyno and post some results. Then get to the track and post some times and you will build a following quickly.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rev It Up
Great post. The system looks really cool. Proof is in the pudding. Get it on the Dyno and post some results. Then get to the track and post some times and you will build a following quickly.
Agreed!! Proof is definitely in the pudding. Once it is installed, I will be doing a before and after datalog, a before and after dyno and an AFTER 1/4 run once the Cayuga dragway track opens next month.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by vrus
Hey Richard,

Mine was supposed to be here by now but I havent had a chance to get over to the shop to check on it. I am really anxious to get it installed..

Good luck on your install. Just remember, use the smallest nozzle to make sure you dont lean it out. For an extra margin of safety use a 50/50 mix of water & methanol. Dont run pure water and dont run pure Meth!

P.S-> You know it has to be distilled water right?
Thanks buddy, will do
Old 02-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Arrrggghh.. My kit still hasnt arrived in Canada yet. It was shipped from the UK last week from what I was told... Gotta get a trace put on it.

Hopefully it will show up in the next couple of days.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just wanted to give an update... My kit still is not here.. The one that was shipped was a different kit and for a different customer.

I spoke with Richard (owner of Aquamist) and he confirmed it was shipping today. They have been extremely busy and backlogged with work so it took longer than expected to fill the order.

Will let you guys know once I have it in my hands.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I can't wait!~!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Good Stuff...Victor

Mr. Lamb has been good with answering tech questions.

Tuning the 1s has really been a time consuming effort for the past 2 weeks, I've ordered a boost switch (1-4PSI) via ebay to assist in triggering below the pre-set 3.5-10PSI (I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but worth the experiment). Currently, I'm using the 6mm nozzle plumbed at the intake elbow a few inches away from the throttle body spraying 50/50 water & methanol.

To my surprise, the intake tract is much cooler to the touch as is the plenum. The loud pedal response is much improved and revs smoother, testing during the eves dialed at 3.5PSI, I've seen as much as a 2.5PSI gain (10PSI vs 7.5PSI).

However, it's a bit annoying when I start the car and can hear the ERL as it momentarily activates on. Next up will be to wire an interior LED indicator to the pressure switch as hopefully will let me know when I'm spraying.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Richard023
Good Stuff...Victor

Mr. Lamb has been good with answering tech questions.

Tuning the 1s has really been a time consuming effort for the past 2 weeks, I've ordered a boost switch (1-4PSI) via ebay to assist in triggering below the pre-set 3.5-10PSI (I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but worth the experiment). Currently, I'm using the 6mm nozzle plumbed at the intake elbow a few inches away from the throttle body spraying 50/50 water & methanol.

To my surprise, the intake tract is much cooler to the touch as is the plenum. The loud pedal response is much improved and revs smoother, testing during the eves dialed at 3.5PSI, I've seen as much as a 2.5PSI gain (10PSI vs 7.5PSI).

However, it's a bit annoying when I start the car and can hear the ERL as it momentarily activates on. Next up will be to wire an interior LED indicator to the pressure switch as hopefully will let me know when I'm spraying.
Hey Richard,

I knew you would have fun tuning with the 1s and that's really why I suggested getting the 2D just for the electronics that come with the kit. Any ways, it sounds like you are doing a great job and so far your results seem very positive.

I am dying to get my kit and can't wait to get it installed because I know there will be big improvements on the E55.

Please keep us updated on your progress.. I will do the same as soon as anything changes.

All the best...
Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
so whats the latest?
Old 04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I apologize for not posting any updates for a while..

I have the parts to install the base kit sitting in my office. We are researching the fabrication of a water tank right now. I am in the process of getting the interior panels taken apart so we can route wires/tubes from the trunk area (where most of the parts will be installed) to the engine compartment.

My business has been very busy these past few weeks so I havent been able to spend as much time on this as I would have liked. It is moving slowly right now.

I should have it installed either this weekend or the one after depending on if I am travelling or not.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:48 PM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Water Injection

Greetings,

Do you have an update on how your water injection project is going?

Your posts have been really nice to read.

thanks
Old 07-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tishers
Greetings,

Do you have an update on how your water injection project is going?

Your posts have been really nice to read.

thanks
Hi Tishers,

I have routed the wiring in the car and contacted the fabricator for the stainless steel water tank. I am currently trying to locate 30feet of 6mm clear plastic hose to be used for the water supply line.

It's moving along but slowly.

Thanks for your post.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Vic,

I noticed recently you mentioned this project is still in the future. How is it coming along? Has aquamist given you any help?

Looking at the previous pictures it looked like it would be a cinch to finish. I think that this is a great add and could easily be something that a lot of E55ers would use and could easily be removed for warranty purposes.

Can this forum help with completion?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Vic,

I noticed recently you mentioned this project is still in the future. How is it coming along? Has aquamist given you any help?

Looking at the previous pictures it looked like it would be a cinch to finish. I think that this is a great add and could easily be something that a lot of E55ers would use and could easily be removed for warranty purposes.

Can this forum help with completion?
Hey Rob,

Believe me, I've been ANXIOUSLY awaiting my kit for a LONG TIME now.. The pics above were of the prototype unit that Richard developed and ended up installing into a different car for testing.

My kit was built.. He was waiting for the shop to fabricate my see-through accumulator tank (the round cylinder tank on the left).

I've left a message and was hoping he would call me today.. It should be ready to ship any day now.. I asked him to send EXPRESS AIR so I get it ASAP..

Will take a few shots of the kit once it arrives and then I will be diving into the install.

I've been working on this project for a long time now.. Had to move real slow and make sure all T's were crossed and I's were dotted.

Lots of money tied up in this project...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
I've been working on this project for a long time now.. Had to move real slow and make sure all T's were crossed and I's were dotted.
One of those T's should be the pre/post IAT gauges. It would be nice to have a solid pre/post baseline for various load conditions, in addition to the ability to quantitize the effect of the spray.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
One of those T's should be the pre/post IAT gauges. It would be nice to have a solid pre/post baseline for various load conditions, in addition to the ability to quantitize the effect of the spray.
Yes sir... That's why the Dual readout digital pyrometer is on its way to me right now..

It's the only way I can substantiate my claims.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Vic how far did this project get - I am looking into this again....
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I've had it installed and removed 2 times already.. it's off the car but getting ready to put it back on again. I've removed it a few times because I've been working on the car and trying different configurations of jets.

In order to make this work, you have to have the proper electronic controls to maintain the proper fuel/water ratio. If you just get something to spray constant water volume throughout the RPM band it will fail.

The location of the jets and jet sizing is PARAMOUNT.

If the IAT sensor doesn't see the temp drop it wont do anything but lean out the fuel mixture and clean out the carbon deposits in your motor. Make sure the jets are close enough to the IAT sensor but not too close that water will hit the sensor.

In your other thread you mentioned something about flash point.. You have to remember that a proper water jet will MIST water.. Depending on which system you buy, it will have different kind of jets. The cheaper jets will allow too many water droplets and not keep a fine mist like they are supposed to.

If you are misting water into your combustion chamber, it doesnt matter if the IAT is 57C or 80C, when it hits the combustion chamber it will burn and turn into steam.

The whole purpose of the water injection is to get the IAT temps as low as possible to maintain optimal spark advance.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you dont need the water mist to flash to steam in the IAT stream to do the best work..?

The Aquamist HFS-5 is what I am looking at but Richard has not responded to the last of my emails, so not much I can do until he does...

The thing is the hotter the IAT's the better the system works (within reason), but with 75degC peaking IAT's I dont think its going to make a masive difference.

I intend on spraying ahead of the I/C in the elbow from the S/C. Think this is the hottest point to get the most efficiency from the water injection. I only intend the system to be used for IAT cooling rather than raising octane...and will only inject water.

Actually I am a muppet... IAT's peak to 75deg AFTER the I/C so at the elbow they will be probably be well above 100deg .. so flashing to steam is quite likely at that point and the system should help reduce IAT's quite dramtically.

Think this is most usefull on a VMax run or a long run at WOT. The longer the run the more the system will work as the IAT's will find a plateau... and the hopeless I/C will be able to cope much better....
Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guess this never got sorted either...!?!?!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM

CLS55 black opal
slightly off from subject but still along the lines of cooling. Has anyone who just swapped the water pump to the cm30 ever run into supercharger turn off issues after the swap?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The pump alone is not enough. A larger front I/C core helps more, but to solve most issues a rear reservoir is all but a necessity for a highly modded car.

The limitation is the small I/C core... not much you can do about it.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by stevebez
The pump alone is not enough. A larger front I/C core helps more, but to solve most issues a rear reservoir is all but a necessity for a highly modded car.

The limitation is the small I/C core... not much you can do about it.
Was thinking for the occasional giggle for road-race tracks in which case I don't think a rear reservoir can prevent the heatsoak in those situations. Bigger IC for sure if I end up going that route. Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
instant 60d iats drop is what we need for our cars!!!I have the snow performance stage 2 kit and about to install soon.Ill post up when its on

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Water/Alky Injection Project ***