W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a 2011 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
Red face Ordered a 2011 E63

Hello all:

After many happy and trouble free years with my 2001 E55, I have finally succumbed to that irresistable new car urge and ordered a 2011 E63. As I try to keep my cars for a long time, I viewed this as a significant commitment that I ruminated over just slightly less then when deciding on a spouse . . .

I considered several cars/SUVs before deciding to stay with an E-Class AMG. I wanted to share my thoughts on my alternatives as I imagine most of you considered a similar short list of cars. As a car fan, I am glad we have so many great cars to consider:

1. Jaguar XKR - I thought it was an attractive car but it lacked interior space, particularly in the back seat. Also, the interior, while very stylish, did not have the same quality feel as does the Mercedes. Felt as fast as the E63 but seemed much less nimble (it is a longer car) and lacked the wonderful sound of the E63's 6.2 V8. I also preferred the E63's styling at the end of the day.

2. BMW X5 M - As I have three young kids and live in the Chicago area, I thought this would be a good compromise car in terms of performance, space and all wheel drive capabilities (the performance tires would still need to change for the winter). This is a fine car and is fast, but when driving it I struggled to feel any emotion. You sit too high off the ground and the exhaust note is quite dull. Interestingly enough, even my (moderate car fan) wife questioned why we would get another SUV (she drives a Buick Enclave) and noted that she would have no real desire to drive the X5 M over her Enclave.

3. 2011 BMW 550i/M5 - I have not driven it yet but waited to see the new 550i at the New York Auto Show. I kept walking back and forth between the BMW exhibit and the Mercedes exhibit comparing the E and the new 5 series and just prefer the more aggressive styling of the E class. The new 5 series is a nice looking car, but for me tends to be a safer, more benign design. I considered waiting for the new M5 which should be out by next fall, but after driving the X5 M (which I acknowledge has 900 pounds on the M5), I prefer the exhaust sound and feel of the big naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. I fully appreciate that the new M5 will likely be a touch faster than the E63 - but then I keep thinking my current E55 with "only" 349 horsepower (albeit at a svelt 3700 lbs) is fast enough (I note that my one main gripe with my E55 is the dull exhaust note. If I would have kept it, I would have seriously considered upgrading the exhaust - and I am generally averse to any under the hood modifications).

4. 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo - I have not driven this either but waited to see it at the New York Auto Show. I wanted to like it more than I did - with a 450 lbs weight reduction and relatively good fuel economy for a 500 hp all wheel drive wagon. I found the exterior styling to be bulbous and soft, although the interior was very well done - much nicer than the X5 Ms. Among SUVs, even my wife liked the looks of the BMW X5 M much better than the new Cayenne. Plus, the new Cayenne Turbo will start at $104k and normal options will push that price up to the $120s easily. Ultimately, I wanted a performance sedan rather than a performance SUV. The Panamera was out for me as it only seats four and I continue to struggle with the styling - I like it a lot from some angles and not at all from others.

5. Mercedes E550 - Given the E550 has the roughly the same power to weight ratio as my E55 which I have always felt is "fast enough", this would have been the logical choice when settling on the E class. However, buying the AMG version has never made good financial sense - the emotional appeal (the rumble of the exhaust, the more aggressive body work and wheels, the even more abundant torque) is what I am looking for in a long-term car commitment and I just couldn't get as excited by the E550. Don't get me wrong, for almost anyone other than a serious car fan, I would wholeheartedly recommend the E550 over the E63 given the differential in performance is quite small relative to the price difference. (I would, however, always recommend an E550 over an E350 as I feel the performance differntial between the V8 and V6 is worth the price and fuel economy penalties).

Separately, I also wrestled with whether to buy a 2010 E63 rather than wait for a 2011 given that there are still over 480 stranded on dealer lots across the country. After working with several dealers, it is very clear they are anxious to move them. However, as I currently have a silver E55 (and before that a grey and a black car), I wanted a more vibrant color this time around (is this my form of a mid life crisis appearing in a practical sedan body???). If you are looking for something other than black, white, silver, or grey, there are only a couple of 2010 E63s to choose from, and they are all (with one exception) in sunny, colorful California. However, all but one of those cars had at least $5k more in options than I would need if ordering, and even with the significant discounts offered I just wasn't that far off with ordering a more lightly optioned 2011 in the color combo my wife and I settled on. I did think about waiting until 2012 for the new 5.5L TT V8 engine which I expect will be slightly faster and more fuel efficient, but I have no plans to modify the engine and do love the sound and feel of the naturally aspirated 6.2l V8 so was comfortable buying the 2011 knowing the engine would be changing. As the last of the big V8s given the impending new fuel economy rule changes, maybe this will become a collectible . . . (okay - unlikely).

Anyway, I will stop here lest I break the record for the longest initial post.
We ordered a Quartz Blue with the Almond Beige interior. My wife loved that blue in person on an E350 after comparing it to the Pearl Beige, Indium Grey and Cuprite Brown (my second favorite but my wife's last choice as too dark), and I have to admit that I liked the Quartz Blue a lot in person as well. I appreciate it is not your typical male oriented AMG color. I am okay with that. I have been given a June build date (actually a build week as I don't yet have the exact day it will be built but know it is in the second week of June production which is the start for 2011 E class sedans) for the car which means it will be here in July (or August if Mercedes delays the launch of the 2011s - I hope not). I will try to sell my E55 when I know the car has been built.

I will post pictures and feedback when it arrives.

Kind regards
Old 04-24-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

One of the most informative and interesting first posts ever!
Welcome to MBWorld!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 PM

e55
are you aware is the new engine will be in it?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Originally Posted by absent
One of the most informative and interesting first posts ever!
Welcome to MBWorld!
+1 Welcome and enjoy - can't wait to see pics of the color combo
Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM

none
Originally Posted by South Ocean1
Hello all:

After many happy and trouble free years with my 2001 E55, I have finally succumbed to that irresistable new car urge and ordered a 2011 E63. As I try to keep my cars for a long time, I viewed this as a significant commitment that I ruminated over just slightly less then when deciding on a spouse . . .

I considered several cars/SUVs before deciding to stay with an E-Class AMG. I wanted to share my thoughts on my alternatives as I imagine most of you considered a similar short list of cars. As a car fan, I am glad we have so many great cars to consider:

1. Jaguar XKR - I thought it was an attractive car but it lacked interior space, particularly in the back seat. Also, the interior, while very stylish, did not have the same quality feel as does the Mercedes. Felt as fast as the E63 but seemed much less nimble (it is a longer car) and lacked the wonderful sound of the E63's 6.2 V8. I also preferred the E63's styling at the end of the day.

2. BMW X5 M - As I have three young kids and live in the Chicago area, I thought this would be a good compromise car in terms of performance, space and all wheel drive capabilities (the performance tires would still need to change for the winter). This is a fine car and is fast, but when driving it I struggled to feel any emotion. You sit too high off the ground and the exhaust note is quite dull. Interestingly enough, even my (moderate car fan) wife questioned why we would get another SUV (she drives a Buick Enclave) and noted that she would have no real desire to drive the X5 M over her Enclave.

3. 2011 BMW 550i/M5 - I have not driven it yet but waited to see the new 550i at the New York Auto Show. I kept walking back and forth between the BMW exhibit and the Mercedes exhibit comparing the E and the new 5 series and just prefer the more aggressive styling of the E class. The new 5 series is a nice looking car, but for me tends to be a safer, more benign design. I considered waiting for the new M5 which should be out by next fall, but after driving the X5 M (which I acknowledge has 900 pounds on the M5), I prefer the exhaust sound and feel of the big naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. I fully appreciate that the new M5 will likely be a touch faster than the E63 - but then I keep thinking my current E55 with "only" 349 horsepower (albeit at a svelt 3700 lbs) is fast enough (I note that my one main gripe with my E55 is the dull exhaust note. If I would have kept it, I would have seriously considered upgrading the exhaust - and I am generally averse to any under the hood modifications).

4. 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo - I have not driven this either but waited to see it at the New York Auto Show. I wanted to like it more than I did - with a 450 lbs weight reduction and relatively good fuel economy for a 500 hp all wheel drive wagon. I found the exterior styling to be bulbous and soft, although the interior was very well done - much nicer than the X5 Ms. Among SUVs, even my wife liked the looks of the BMW X5 M much better than the new Cayenne. Plus, the new Cayenne Turbo will start at $104k and normal options will push that price up to the $120s easily. Ultimately, I wanted a performance sedan rather than a performance SUV. The Panamera was out for me as it only seats four and I continue to struggle with the styling - I like it a lot from some angles and not at all from others.

5. Mercedes E550 - Given the E550 has the roughly the same power to weight ratio as my E55 which I have always felt is "fast enough", this would have been the logical choice when settling on the E class. However, buying the AMG version has never made good financial sense - the emotional appeal (the rumble of the exhaust, the more aggressive body work and wheels, the even more abundant torque) is what I am looking for in a long-term car commitment and I just couldn't get as excited by the E550. Don't get me wrong, for almost anyone other than a serious car fan, I would wholeheartedly recommend the E550 over the E63 given the differential in performance is quite small relative to the price difference. (I would, however, always recommend an E550 over an E350 as I feel the performance differntial between the V8 and V6 is worth the price and fuel economy penalties).

Separately, I also wrestled with whether to buy a 2010 E63 rather than wait for a 2011 given that there are still over 480 stranded on dealer lots across the country. After working with several dealers, it is very clear they are anxious to move them. However, as I currently have a silver E55 (and before that a grey and a black car), I wanted a more vibrant color this time around (is this my form of a mid life crisis appearing in a practical sedan body???). If you are looking for something other than black, white, silver, or grey, there are only a couple of 2010 E63s to choose from, and they are all (with one exception) in sunny, colorful California. However, all but one of those cars had at least $5k more in options than I would need if ordering, and even with the significant discounts offered I just wasn't that far off with ordering a more lightly optioned 2011 in the color combo my wife and I settled on. I did think about waiting until 2012 for the new 5.5L TT V8 engine which I expect will be slightly faster and more fuel efficient, but I have no plans to modify the engine and do love the sound and feel of the naturally aspirated 6.2l V8 so was comfortable buying the 2011 knowing the engine would be changing. As the last of the big V8s given the impending new fuel economy rule changes, maybe this will become a collectible . . . (okay - unlikely).

Anyway, I will stop here lest I break the record for the longest initial post.
We ordered a Quartz Blue with the Almond Beige interior. My wife loved that blue in person on an E350 after comparing it to the Pearl Beige, Indium Grey and Cuprite Brown (my second favorite but my wife's last choice as too dark), and I have to admit that I liked the Quartz Blue a lot in person as well. I appreciate it is not your typical male oriented AMG color. I am okay with that. I have been given a June build date (actually a build week as I don't yet have the exact day it will be built but know it is in the second week of June production which is the start for 2011 E class sedans) for the car which means it will be here in July (or August if Mercedes delays the launch of the 2011s - I hope not). I will try to sell my E55 when I know the car has been built.

I will post pictures and feedback when it arrives.

Kind regards
Thanks for your detailed post. It's very helpful as I'm in the midst of deciding on when to buy an E63. I didn't know that they had started taking orders for the 2011 models. Anything worth noting that is changed or added for the 2011 model? Also, I have some questions about your experience in purchasing your car. Is there a way I can PM you?

Many Thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
I was told by the dealer that there are no mechanical changes for the 2011 E63. That makes sense given that the E63 is really only 6 plus months old with the first 2010s arriving in the U.S. in October of last year. The dealer did indicate that the slate of "designer" exterior and interior colors would be available and I could have ordered the car in some even more unique combinations than I did.

I would be happy to give you my feedback on the buying experience. Send me a PM and I will respond tomorrow.

Kind regards
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM

'05 Porsche Turbo S, 2011 E63, 2012 E63 by late December
Nice posts South Ocean1. This is my first post as well and I too have just ordered the 2011 E63. I also chose the Quartz Blue for the same reasons as you. I ordered the Ash leather with the black ash trim. If anyone has this interior combination I'd appreciate seeing a picture. I chose the premium 2 and performance packages but declined the Carbon Ceramic brakes option (it's on the build sheet for 2011). FWIW, I was told the split rear seats were not on the option list for 2011. Whether they are not available or are a standard feature, I don't know.

My dealer gave me roughly the same schedule. Builds will start June 11 and July 10 is the official release date. I was told to expect mine mid July. As long as it arrives before snowfall I'll be really happy.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 PM

Congratulations bbell! It's nice to know there will be at least one other Quartz Blue 2011 E63 out there. My understanding is that there were only four E63s made in that exterior color in 2010.

My build week is the same as yours, so it is helpful to hear from another source (your dealer in addition to mine) that we may see the car in mid-July. I believe that the split folding rear seats are standard on the E63 - or at least they were on the 2010s. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

While I ordered the Almond Beige interior, I can help you with seeing your exact exterior (Quartz Blue) and interior color combo (Ash Leather with Black Ash) except with the 18" wheels as opposed to the 19"s that are part of the performance package which you ordered. I am including a link to Hoehn Mercedes in Carlsbad, CA, which has a very nice photo gallery of that car for sale.

http://www.hoehnmercedes.com/models.php

Keep me posted if you hear any news about your car's arrival this summer. I will do the same.

Kind regards
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Great detailed post, very insightful. I can't wait to see pictures of the Quartz Blue on an AMG

Regarding the engine, I was under the impression that the new engine will hit th E-Class in 2011 models So the 2011 E63 will actually still have the 6.2L engine? Very interesting.... seems like a long wait to release the new engine after they announced it almost 2 years ago.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
thanks for the analysis. I'm hoping to pick up an e63 pretty soon and this gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on one. Just trying to get a good deal.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM

After what seemed like a forever wait, my car is FINALLY here.

I pick it up tonight!!!! I cannot wait . . .

I will post some pictures if the light is still good tonight for some shots.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 AM

This was definitely worth the wait!!! Not much time yet to get to know the car other than the drive home but love the exhaust sound, color and feel. Man there are a lot of features to get to know. Coming from a 2001 E55, I feel I just stepped into the future . . .

Here are some pictures from inside the dealership's service bay before delivery. I included some which show the new dash and headliner. Also, the center console has nice black lacquer trim. The headliner looks great. The stitched dash looks good but feels like the MB text it is.

By the way, I worked with a great salesman - very easy going yet very knowledgeable. Overall - other than the wait for the car, I had a good buying experience - right down to the part when you sit with the finance manager to pay the piper . . .
Attached Thumbnails Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1411.jpg   Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1413.jpg   Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1418.jpg   Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1422.jpg   Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1416.jpg  

Ordered a 2011 E63-img_1412.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
that leather dash and alcantra headliner is nice.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
that leather dash and alcantra headliner is nice.
Bushburninc63:

I see that you have both a C63 and E63 (and I saw the great pictures of both of your cars in the other post regarding Vic's proposed purchase).

I have one other interesting note from picking up my car last night. The dealer also had just gotten in a 2011 C63 with the Performance Pack on the same truck. As a car fan, I wanted to check out that car as well. We walked over and the salesman fired up the engine on the C63 to let me hear it. My wife, who was standing about 20 feet away looking at my car, literally jumped when she heard the C63 bark. I was surprised at how much louder and fiercer the C63's exhaust sounded than the E63's . . Wow!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Wow look at that color!!!!

Clapping!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM

2005 645, 2007 X5 4.8, 2007 911 Turbo, 2010 Audi S5, 2011 E63 <on order>
Nice looking car. Like the color combo.

Congrats!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
The C63 exhaust note sounds more raw, while the E63 exhaust sounds smoother.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
i think you'll be unusually pleased at how well your car handles. in driving these at road atlanta, the car was a revelation, belying its weight with agility and finesse and absolutely no brake fade (regular brakes) in spite of merciless flogging. choice color too.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I love the color, I don't think I've ever seen an E63 quite like that in person. Enjoy!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Congrats on the arrival.

I do like the exterior color, it's different for sure. Personally I'd have gone with a dark (black?) interior. As you said, "I appreciate it is not your typical male oriented AMG color. I am okay with that."

I'm not keen on these light exterior and light interior combos, although I guess they are getting popular now. To me, paired up on a Mercedes it ends up looking feminine, 'Palm Springs,' or old man-like. But trends change rapidly, and now I guess it's not so much like that anymore. fwiw, Dupont uses a market research team to track consumer preferences and they say blue is making a comeback now. Silver and white are on the way out.

That all said, MBUSA is going to announce a much advanced Designo program next month with a lot more choices available.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
South_Ocean1,

Congrats! Are those Michelin PS2 tires that came with the car? It looks like it from one of the pictures.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 AM

Hi southocean;
Your car looks stunning, to say the least. I was also planning to get the quartz blue but the dealer and my son talked me into the steel gray. I may regret that decision as I am enamored by the QB. My wife has it on her C300. My car arrived at the dealer early Wed. and I'll pick it up in the morning (Friday). I'm already jelous of your interior. I like light colours inside and wanted the black dash and carpet with the light grey leather as is an option on the E550. Unfortunatly that is not an option on the AMG so I've got black. Let's see that is black leather with black ash and black piano lacquer.... Good news is that I expect the rest of the car will help me get over that.

Bruce
Old 07-30-2010, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
That's a gorgeous color. Congrats.

BTW how did you order the alcantara headliner, was it part of a package? I thought I read that it wasn't available on the 212. Obviously that was incorrect.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 AM

One more thought Southocean;
How many are waiting in line to drive your new toy? I told my youngest son and his friend (both race GT3 cup cars) they'd have to pony up for tire money! Speaking of tires, what on earth am I going to do this winter in Colorado? Any ideas for "snow tires"?

Bruce

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a 2011 E63