W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Can someone please explain why my nav system sucks so bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 07:14 PM

2011 Alpina B7, 2010 BMW X5M, 2009 Nissan GTR
Can someone please explain why my nav system sucks so bad?

There are many irritating things about the MBZ nav system, but trying to find a point of interest is probably the most annoying since the car almost never seems to find one in the general area. Before anyone flames me on this, I have already had the car in for service to have the Command System re-calibrated to no avail so I posted this in my frustration. Does anyone else have this problem?

MB example 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l824QgYTaZU

MB example 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPqVE_Edwo

and just for comparison purposes, here is the BMW nav doing exactly what its supposed to do

BMW example 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRm7PGN8r0

BMW example 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4JMN2Qp4HU

Last edited by racer m; 08-09-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:17 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
I gave up trying to use the on board nav, its too dam complicated. Thank god for iphones lol.
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:15 AM

e63 2010 W212
i actually think the MB system is 10 times better than the BMW system. Just my opinon. :-)
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Works fine for me.

I went and checked Nordstrom just like you did and it worked for me. Gave me the Pico location.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Racing Dad
i actually think the MB system is 10 times better than the BMW system. Just my opinon. :-)
Really? Wow... Have you used the latest gen BMW nav? It's far superior to the mbz nav. I'll give you a few more reasons:

1. Mbz nav will not allow you to imput an address while the vehicle is in motion (although you can search POI etc which requires just as much attention lol) but the BMW nav doesn't have this limitation. How many times has someone called you while you're on the freeway going 60mph+ and given you an address that you cannot put in the command sys without pulling over! That sucks.

2. Everytime you use the mbz nav the voice instructions come on by default, and if you don't hit the mute button on the steering wheel in time you will mute the stereo instead and have to wait for the next time the nav voice speaks to mute it. I find this very annoying. On the BMW nav there is a setting to mute nav instructions permanently and once it's selected the voice never comes on again until you unselect it. There's even a shortcut button just to the left of the map to change this setting on the fly.

3. The resolution of the BMW map is much higher than mbz especially when you have it on full detail displaying buildings, terrain etc, the live traffic is more accurate, and overall it's generally more user friendly in every aspect.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:25 PM

2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
wow. I am surprised to hear this. You have a 2010 E63? The navigation in the car is pretty awesome if you ask me. Better than BMW and also my Range Rover sport. surprised to hear that.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...drivers-wrong/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=462324

"Today my dealer gave me a 2010 328i as a loaner. Recent vintage, only 1,500 miles on the clock. It has a nav system which is identical to the one on my 2010 750Li so I tested it for the problems which I posted (above). The 328's system has exactly the same malfunctions -- all of them. Since this car was manufactured recently, it is clear that BMW is not taking any action to correct the errors which make the current BMW nav systems useless in many situations --if not dangerous, given the confusion that they can cause."

fwiw, US regs (and also liabilities) are forcing manufacturers to eliminate 'while in motion' operations. That's why the DVD player worked in Europe while driving but didn't in the US. I read that BMW and all brands sold in the US are going the same route. I haven't checked but it may also be the case with the 2011 BMWs now.

You actually have a pretty decent VC system to override that. Try using that. My system is the exact same as yours, but in 2009 they still allowed address input while in motion. But I still use VC since it works better than most I've tried.

If you mute audio, sat nav announcements are still played, unless you specifically mute sat nav announcements in which case those are not played but audio is (if you don't mute audio). or: press the mute button twice, it will mute the navigation voice and keeps the CD/radio on.

There's a big fat COMAND manual that came with the car. It might help figure some of the stuff out for you. It always seems awkward when going from one brand's particular way of doing things to another. But after a while it all becomes apparent. Give it time, or sell the car I guess.

The grass always seems greener on the other side, but in the end it's really pretty much the same grass. No brand is without its shortcomings.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw, RacerM was never exactly happy with his car. So, take it all with a grain of salt. Being helpful may not go very far, as it's really more of a rant than someone sincerely asking for any constructive info.

Remember this long thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-buy-car.html
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:04 PM

2008 RPi BMW M5, 2010 E63 AMG, 2010 C300
I have not been able to try the 2009/2010 BMW navigation yet, but the 2008 E60 BMW nav systems seem archaic compared to the W212.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by 220S
btw, RacerM was never exactly happy with his car. So, take it all with a grain of salt. Being helpful may not go very far, as it's really more of a rant than someone sincerely asking for any constructive info.

Remember this long thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-buy-car.html
Who could forget that thread? I think the OP should just sell the E63, he hates the car obviously. That would end the complaining, and someone on this board or elsewhere would have a nice E63 they would enjoy. Just a thought...
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Who could forget that thread? I think the OP should just sell the E63, he hates the car obviously. That would end the complaining, and someone on this board or elsewhere would have a nice E63 they would enjoy. Just a thought...
My post isn't a rant, its a legitimate complaint backed up by video examples of the issue and at hand. I admit I am sarcastic in my complaint because I have had nothing but bad luck with this car since I got it. Even after having it in service the issue isn't fixed. With that being said, I cannot sell it because it is a lease. And because it has depreciated like no other car I have ever had before (dealers taking $22-25k off MSRP) nobody will take over my payment because it is 2X what they could go get a brand new one for. In other words: I am screwed!
Old 08-10-2010 | 06:15 PM

Gs 300, Rx 330
Originally Posted by racer m
My post isn't a rant, its a legitimate complaint backed up by video examples of the issue and at hand. I admit I am sarcastic in my complaint because I have had nothing but bad luck with this car since I got it. Even after having it in service the issue isn't fixed. With that being said, I cannot sell it because it is a lease. And because it has depreciated like no other car I have ever had before (dealers taking $22-25k off MSRP) nobody will take over my payment because it is 2X what they could go get a brand new one for. In other words: I am screwed!
Relax, put your car up on swap a lease if you hate it so damn much. You are acting like your life is ruined because of a car you are leasing.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should really get rid of the car if you don't like it. Otherwise what's the point? We all make bad decisions once in a while. And some cost a lot. But life's too short to whine about it or fret about it. And it's only money, there's more where that came from.

fwiw, the navigation works fine, and as you saw from my post, BMW has been getting lots of complaints lately about their system. All systems have their quirks. I don't know of any that are perfect.

I posted the link to your thread only because I realized that you weren't really looking for solutions. I didn't want anybody else spending time trying to help out or convince you otherwise. Your agenda is clear.

And although I understand your frustration, I doubt that your coming on here and complaining will solve anything at all other than make yourself feel better. Usually people who realize they made an incorrect decision simply learn from their mistakes. And since many people here are relatively happy with their cars (which each one of them bought for their own various personal reasons), you will not get a lot of sympathy. I suggest you simply move on to better days and better pastures. btw, congrats on your upcoming marriage.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:13 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
With all Navs, they are give and takes--- I dont see this system "sucking" but I dont think its the most amazing piece of auto directing either.

I dont really care- I didnt buy the car for the Nav but it is nice to have a clear screen and fast response times...screen is just fine for me and I have the most up to date BMW Nav too.

I think the GT-R Nav is the best of the lot but I dont really use it all too much.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:21 PM

You should really get rid of the car if you don't like it. Otherwise what's the point? We all make bad decisions once in a while. And some cost a lot. But life's too short to whine about it or fret about it. And it's only money, there's more where that came from.

fwiw, the navigation works fine, and as you saw from my post, BMW has been getting lots of complaints lately about their system. All systems have their quirks. I don't know of any that are perfect.

I posted the link to your thread only because I realized that you weren't really looking for solutions. I didn't want anybody else spending time trying to help out or convince you otherwise. Your agenda is clear.

And although I understand your frustration, I doubt that your coming on here and complaining will solve anything at all other than make yourself feel better. Usually people who realize they made an incorrect decision simply learn from their mistakes. And since many people here are relatively happy with their cars (which each one of them bought for their own various personal reasons), you will not get a lot of sympathy. I suggest you simply move on to better days and better pastures. btw, congrats on your upcoming marriage.
I hear your point of view, and I'll admit in the original post regarding not buying the car I was on somewhat of a rant. I was pissed off and wanted to discuss the issue with others. As far as this goes with the nav, I genuinely want to know if others have the same problem with their nav, and if anyone knows why it acts that way on some cars (mine). I even took the time to make videos to show the problem so there wouldn't be any doubters. I just picked up my E63 from the service dept. a few days ago to address this issue and fix a few recalls on the car. They didn't fix it, so I'm not sure what else to do...

I am honestly not trying to start arguments or be a pain on here, I am a car enthusiast with legitimate concerns and just want to be heard. I don't post much on any forums unless it is regarding something serious, which these issues are to me. I guess I opened a can of worms which was not my intention, but if I bought the house in Arachnophobia I would tell my neighbors. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for the kind wishes, I am very excited!
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
With all Navs, they are give and takes--- I dont see this system "sucking" but I dont think its the most amazing piece of auto directing either.

I dont really care- I didnt buy the car for the Nav but it is nice to have a clear screen and fast response times...screen is just fine for me and I have the most up to date BMW Nav too.

I think the GT-R Nav is the best of the lot but I dont really use it all too much.
I completely agree with you, the GTR nav is awesome! Its not a coincidence, the Japanese make the best electronics.
Old 08-11-2010 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear your point of view, and I'll admit in the original post regarding not buying the car I was on somewhat of a rant. I was pissed off and wanted to discuss the issue with others. As far as this goes with the nav, I genuinely want to know if others have the same problem with their nav, and if anyone knows why it acts that way on some cars (mine). I even took the time to make videos to show the problem so there wouldn't be any doubters. I just picked up my E63 from the service dept. a few days ago to address this issue and fix a few recalls on the car. They didn't fix it, so I'm not sure what else to do...

I am honestly not trying to start arguments or be a pain on here, I am a car enthusiast with legitimate concerns and just want to be heard. I don't post much on any forums unless it is regarding something serious, which these issues are to me. I guess I opened a can of worms which was not my intention, but if I bought the house in Arachnophobia I would tell my neighbors. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for the kind wishes, I am very excited!
As I said, I understand your frustration. We have all gotten into situations where we feel we made the wrong choice. It's no fun.

But one doesn't come into someone's house and tell them that their furniture is ugly. That was really the problem here. You came in to a forum and pretty much blasted the car that a lot of people here own. You could have come in and been less aggressive and simply raised the issues you were having and we could have all had a constructive discussion. Nobody is adverse to criticism here. But when it's clearly an agenda (which you have; i.e., you want MBUSA to take back the car and tell the world they are falsely representing their product) it doesn't bode well. Trust me, we all like to discuss issues about these cars, the good and the bad.

I know you're legit. By sheer coincidence I had lunch with a former client of mine (now a friend and also a motorsports enthusiast) who had a business interaction in the past with a 'colleague' of yours. As they say, LA is a big city but really a small town. I'm not going to "out" you and you should keep your identity to yourself, I respect that and would want the same. (so you know what I'm talking about, that colleague of yours is "GS" and "SS" is the name of the "business." You're marrying "A" in 10 days. )

And there's also really no reason to try to emphasize those credentials with your discussion about the car. It really doesn't matter. Your concerns with the car would still be considered (assuming you really wanted to talk about those concerns in a constructive manner.) There are people with lots of interesting backgrounds here. But again, I do respect you for coming on and at least not spouting off the specific details of those credentials.

Anyway, as far as the nav issue goes I think you might have a problem. I can get the Nordstrom POI to show up as Pico and Westwood on the same nav system. That should be fixed by the dealer.

Since you dislike the car and it's doubtful that you'll ever warm up to it, then you should just focus on getting rid of it. It'll be tough to get MBUSA to take it back under the reasons you give. But hey, they'll probably move you up to a S65 On the other hand, if this particular sample does indeed have issues then you can focus on getting them fixed. And as we all know, if the dealer can't fix them after a certain time or a number of attempts, then you can lemon the car.

fwiw, all cars like these have depreciated dramatically. 3-year old M6s, 997TTs, Aston, Maserati, etc., can all be bought for a song now compared to their original MSRP. And we all know max depreciation always occurs in the first couple of years. As far as the MSRP dropping recently, that really won't affect the resale because the fact is you cannot buy them discounted anymore. The same happened to the E9x M3s a few years ago. When it first came out it was MSRP and above. Then the market dropped and they were heavily discounted. The market eventually adjusts and there's more equilibrium in production and sales and resale prices normalize again. It's the same old same old.

Good luck. And hopefully you're not too bitter with Mercedes. They really are a good car for what they are (fwiw, I bought mine strictly for basic transportation, from A to B, a daily driver, and that's it.) I think you probably would have been fairly happy in a CLK63 Black Series. Mercedes has a long history of manufacturing and motorsports. But they are a Mercedes and somewhat unique. They aren't everybody's cup of tea.
Old 08-11-2010 | 05:07 PM

W212 E63
As I said, I understand your frustration. We have all gotten into situations where we feel we made the wrong choice. It's no fun.

But one doesn't come into someone's house and tell them that their furniture is ugly. That was really the problem here. You came in to a forum and pretty much blasted the car that a lot of people here own. You could have come in and been less aggressive and simply raised the issues you were having and we could have all had a constructive discussion. Nobody is adverse to criticism here. But when it's clearly an agenda (which you have; i.e., you want MBUSA to take back the car and tell the world they are falsely representing their product) it doesn't bode well. Trust me, we all like to discuss issues about these cars, the good and the bad.

I know you're legit. By sheer coincidence I had lunch with a former client of mine (now a friend and also a motorsports enthusiast) who had a business interaction in the past with a 'colleague' of yours. As they say, LA is a big city but really a small town. I'm not going to "out" you and you should keep your identity to yourself, I respect that and would want the same. (so you know what I'm talking about, that colleague of yours is "GS" and "SS" is the name of the "business." You're marrying "A" in 10 days. )

And there's also really no reason to try to emphasize those credentials with your discussion about the car. It really doesn't matter. Your concerns with the car would still be considered (assuming you really wanted to talk about those concerns in a constructive manner.) There are people with lots of interesting backgrounds here. But again, I do respect you for coming on and at least not spouting off the specific details of those credentials.

Anyway, as far as the nav issue goes I think you might have a problem. I can get the Nordstrom POI to show up as Pico and Westwood on the same nav system. That should be fixed by the dealer.

Since you dislike the car and it's doubtful that you'll ever warm up to it, then you should just focus on getting rid of it. It'll be tough to get MBUSA to take it back under the reasons you give. But hey, they'll probably move you up to a S65 On the other hand, if this particular sample does indeed have issues then you can focus on getting them fixed. And as we all know, if the dealer can't fix them after a certain time or a number of attempts, then you can lemon the car.

fwiw, all cars like these have depreciated dramatically. 3-year old M6s, 997TTs, Aston, Maserati, etc., can all be bought for a song now compared to their original MSRP. And we all know max depreciation always occurs in the first couple of years. As far as the MSRP dropping recently, that really won't affect the resale because the fact is you cannot buy them discounted anymore. The same happened to the E9x M3s a few years ago. When it first came out it was MSRP and above. Then the market dropped and they were heavily discounted. The market eventually adjusts and there's more equilibrium in production and sales and resale prices normalize again. It's the same old same old.

Good luck. And hopefully you're not too bitter with Mercedes. They really are a good car for what they are (fwiw, I bought mine strictly for basic transportation, from A to B, a daily driver, and that's it.) I think you probably would have been fairly happy in a CLK63 Black Series. Mercedes has a long history of manufacturing and motorsports. But they are a Mercedes and somewhat unique. They aren't everybody's cup of tea.
Well said and well balanced. Nice job!
Old 08-11-2010 | 05:56 PM

I agree 100% with everything you said... like I mentioned, I might have come in initially too aggressive and sarcastic with my assessment of the car. I was angry at the time, and after getting nowhere with MBZ I felt the need to vent about it in a forum where I could be heard. Like you, I also got my E63 to be an A to B driver, just like the M5 was, but IMO this car is hardly an M5. I thought about the CLK63 Black, but I went for a GTR instead, and didn't want to have another coupe, which led me to become interested in the E class.

I mentioned a vague history of my motorsports credentials to establish some credibility before criticizing the performance aspects of the car. I am a newbie on here, and rarely post on any car forums, so why would anyone listen to what I have to say. Most people aren't going to give the average Joe merit in their evaluation of how a high performance car behaves at the limit, but will most definitely listen to a race car driver's opinion. It would be easy to link all the doubters and haters to undeniable proof that I am who I say I am, but my anonymity is important to me for several reasons and I couldn't care less what a few people I will probably never know in my life think, it's their loss. What is important though, at least for me, was to make other people aware of a serious problem with the 2010 E63 that I have experienced. Although I might have gone about it in the wrong way initially, I hope that now I have affected some people enough to take the issue seriously. If not, then I guess I have wasted a few hours of my life discussing it, but part of me does feel better making others aware, and if I do end up getting somewhere with MBZ these threads will be some shred of proof that I am not pulling this complaint out of the sky.

I fully intend on making some great videos of the car in action very soon, and I will post them for entertainment and evidence to back up my claim. I should have plenty of free time once my wedding is over. Maybe then some opinions will change... we will have to wait and see.

Question: did you get an update on your nav recently, or did it always work well for you? I just had mine in service for it and it did nothing for me. Thanks.

-M
Old 08-11-2010 | 07:56 PM

2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
btw, RacerM was never exactly happy with his car. So, take it all with a grain of salt.... Your agenda is clear....
And since many people here are relatively happy with their cars ...you will not get a lot of sympathy....
You should really get rid of the car if you don't like it. Otherwise what's the point?

The videos demonstrate that the newer MB NAVI is useless, just like the BMW and AUDI NAVIs - which is not
surprising since they are essentially the same product. I have the same problems but have simply given up.
Racer is courageous to continue to raise these issues despite a clearly hostile and irrational reception by "some".
Even if it is only the OPs car that is lame, then it should be fixable, which I know it is not.

But 220S response is SO illustrative of the "don't bother me with facts, my mind id made up!" attitude... Why
not try to address the issues raised by the OP instead of questioning his motives / credentials / balance?
And why not keep the patronizing "I know who you and wife to be are" crap out of the discussion.

It seems some "MB Fanatics" never heard of love / hate relationships.....
I love the car for many things it IS, but I hate it for failing to live up to its promise, for its lame support, and
arrogance of it's incompetent importer.

Why should I have to sell the car because MB farmed out their NAVI and their Linguatronic drvelopment to a
bunch of amateurs who can't programme their way out of a shoe box? If you are Mercedes Benz you should act
like MB! Problem is: "it ain't the same MB no more!"

racer m keep on posting the videos...keep MB honest!. I might post a few of my own...

Last edited by MBStar; 08-11-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2010 | 01:19 AM

e63 2010 W212
What happened to this thread! I remember you Racer M!

I'm sure you have a legitimate complaint in your opinion. No one is stopping you from thinking it. I just don't think you'll get the support you're looking for here. :-)

Vic, I concur! The GTR will definitely have the best Nav. In fact, I would go as far as to venture, almost all Japanese nav systems are better than BMW or Benz. Especially with the touch screen.

Again, i have to say I'm so envious of your GTR. Really wanted to get it, but couldn't justify what sacrifices I would have with that car. :-)
Old 08-12-2010 | 01:59 AM

03 S55 AMG,ECU/TCU Tuned,BMC Filters, E-Lowered,20's, 03 Hummer H2/ 00 996 (SOLD)
Bump Racing DAD ...RacerM I just don't think you're gonna get the shoulder to cry on support here that you were looking for.
Old 08-12-2010 | 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
I gotta say the OP's 2 vids of the nav system made me laugh pretty hard. The search results are bad, especially when you're sitting in the Nordstrom parking lot.

racerm, did you show your service adviser those videos? Or are they saying "can't replicate the problem" or just denying it's a problem at all?

I would also be upset if this nav malfunctioned like this. Good luck getting it fixed up.
Old 08-12-2010 | 06:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
How do you get that STUPID B**** WHO KEEPS TELLING YOU THE TRAFFIC REPORTS TO SHUT THE F*** UP????!!!!

Seriously, I'm driving on the Freeway and I get the music cut constantly with the same ditz telling me "Traffic Congestion, 35 MPH on blah blah St." over and over again.... The same streets! One time is okay, but damn, almost ruined my whole drive the other night, my blood pressure was boiling and I'm yelling at a damn robot.

BTW I see nothing wrong with those Video's, and thought they were pretty funny. If it isn't working for him, don't blast him for sharing it with others.
Old 08-12-2010 | 08:59 PM

2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
Originally Posted by K-A
....BTW I see nothing wrong with those Video's, and thought they were pretty funny. If it isn't working for him, don't blast him for sharing it with others.
Thanks K-A for some support. I got an inboxfull from you know who about that...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can someone please explain why my nav system sucks so bad?