Sponsored by:

Safe RPM while holding the brake in M

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 wagon, 2018 E63S Wagon
Safe RPM while holding the brake in M

Using the Logicrace PerformaceBox, the best 0-60 I have got was 4.2 sec (with one-foot roll enabled and around 70 F ambient temp).

I got it when using M mode. Race start could do it @ 4.3 sec. Motortrend test got it to 4.1 sec (with Logicrace's measuring equipment as well and one-foot roll up).

I am not sure if it is safe to rev up RPM while firmly hold the brake in this wet clutch transmission. So, the way I did it is to release the brake and floor the gas at the same time.

Does anyone know how safe if I rev up to, say, 2k RPM or higher first before release the brake? I am wondering if that was how Motortrend test driver did for best result?

I will also wait a bit to see if the result will be a bit better in colder condition when winter comes.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 AM

e63 2010 W212
2k should be ok. can't say for sure. but i've done it up to 3k. It gets alittle wierd, but quite honestly, i'm not sure how much different it'll make.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Racing Dad
2k should be ok. can't say for sure. but i've done it up to 3k. It gets alittle wierd, but quite honestly, i'm not sure how much different it'll make.
Thanks for the input! I guess the sweet spot of torque on this N/A based engine is little hight up in RPM.

So, pre-engage on 1st gear may not help much unless taking certain chance that might damage clutch to rev it over 4K.

I guess, in RS mode, the clutch is not engaged when holding the brake (controled by ECU); but, I am afraid that, in M mode, the clutch is engaged once the RPM goes beyond certain point. Keep holding on brake may hurt the clutch in some way.

Really hope someone can confirm this is true or not.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Originally Posted by MV99
Thanks for the input! I guess the sweet spot of torque on this N/A based engine is little hight up in RPM.

So, pre-engage on 1st gear may not help much unless taking certain chance that might damage clutch to rev it over 4K.

I guess, in RS mode, the clutch is not engaged when holding the brake (controled by ECU); but, I am afraid that, in M mode, the clutch is engaged once the RPM goes beyond certain point. Keep holding on brake may hurt the clutch in some way.

Really hope someone can confirm this is true or not.
At the AMG academy, they teach you to rev it to 4 grand and then drop the hammer...errr...I mean release the brake and launch. Doesn't sound quite the same i guess, but reving to 4gs shouldn't damage the car. hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
At the AMG academy, they teach you to rev it to 4 grand and then drop the hammer...errr...I mean release the brake and launch. Doesn't sound quite the same i guess, but reving to 4gs shouldn't damage the car. hope that helps.
Thanks a lot!

I did try to rev it close to 4K while holding brake in M mode couple of times before. The sound of clutch did appear to be different than doing that in RS mode(maybe that's my imagination......). That's why I guess that, in RS mode, the clutch is not engaged until release of brake; but, clutch may be engaged in M mode once reaching certain RPM.

Where do you think I can get some knowledge regarding this from AMG? Many thanks in advance!!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Sorry, I meant that they teach you to hold to 4k in race start. Not certain about standing on the brake in regular M mode and revving. I would imagine that you're already in gear and that you're going to spin the tires.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
Sorry, I meant that they teach you to hold to 4k in race start. Not certain about standing on the brake in regular M mode and revving. I would imagine that you're already in gear and that you're going to spin the tires.
Still appreciate a lot for your help!! Standing on brake won't spin the tires. I would have to press the parking brake to do so but that will cost too much $$ on those pricy 19" Pirelli PZero though......