W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Have I done the right thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:55 PM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Have I done the right thing?

Hi all, I'm currently a 2010 C63 P31 owner and have just put a deposit on a 2011 E63.

With the exception of the Speedshift gearbox and a steering column shake/rattle/vibration that appears to be characteristic of C63's (I've had two and they both do it and other C63 owners I know all detect the rattle)...I absolutely love my C63! But those two issues are enough for me to take the plunge and make the change.

In the brief drive I've had in the E63, it doesn't appear to be any slower, it doesn't feel like a heavier car to drive (indeed, it seems to handle slightly better if anything??), it seems much better assembled (the C63 is also very well made but does occasionally make the odd groan/creak from the trim...the E didn't appear to that) so it 'feels' like I've made the right decision.

So, how are you guys enjoying your car and are there any other C63 owners who have 'upgraded' to the E63 on here to shed any light on the differences in ownership experiences?

Last edited by Palmball; 11-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 06:57 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I never have owned a C63 but I love the E63 and I came from 3 prior AMG's. Its a great daily driver and replaced an E92 M3.

The steering on the W212 is quicker with a 13.1 to 1 ratio. The suspension gets steel springs up front to help handling along with a wider front track (2.5 inches or so). This is the best handling E class ever.

You will be able to make a C63 faster but that was not my focus as I have cars that kill the C version AMG. For me it was more about the looks- the front end is just so wonderful to look at and the rear is really growing on me. I get more compliments about this car than I did on my highly modified M3 and my previous W211 E55 and CL65. Its a great freeway cruiser that can actually turn and hold its line for a 4200 lb car.

Of course its not without faults with its interior cost cuts and lack of LSD but IMHO you are upgrading for sure. My GT-R is a sub 11 second car trapping over 130 and the Pcar is not too far behind and I often find myself wanting to drive the slower, heavier and not as good handling W212 AMG. I also got my car for 72k and change on a 101k sticker so that didnt hurt either

Oh yeah, you have done the right thing.
Old 11-09-2010 | 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I was between the two cars when I made my purchase--the 2010 E63 leftovers were basically the same money as my highly speced C63.
I chose the C63 because I enjoyed the rawness of the car and it seemed a bit sportier to me.
The E63 is a great car, especially the 2011s with the upgraded headliner and dash (at least in the US).
Can't go wrong with either one!
Old 11-15-2010 | 06:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Vic55
I never have owned a C63 but I love the E63 and I came from 3 prior AMG's. Its a great daily driver and replaced an E92 M3.

The steering on the W212 is quicker with a 13.1 to 1 ratio. The suspension gets steel springs up front to help handling along with a wider front track (2.5 inches or so). This is the best handling E class ever.

You will be able to make a C63 faster but that was not my focus as I have cars that kill the C version AMG. For me it was more about the looks- the front end is just so wonderful to look at and the rear is really growing on me. I get more compliments about this car than I did on my highly modified M3 and my previous W211 E55 and CL65. Its a great freeway cruiser that can actually turn and hold its line for a 4200 lb car.

Of course its not without faults with its interior cost cuts and lack of LSD but IMHO you are upgrading for sure. My GT-R is a sub 11 second car trapping over 130 and the Pcar is not too far behind and I often find myself wanting to drive the slower, heavier and not as good handling W212 AMG. I also got my car for 72k and change on a 101k sticker so that didnt hurt either

Oh yeah, you have done the right thing.
It's funny how this design really just grabs a hold of you, after you study it, live with it for enough time. And I'm not talking about "accepting it", it just really becomes so nice to look at, especially the masterful front, and all the lines/contours, etc. Seems there was indeed a method to the designers madnesses.

Indeed it isn't without its faults, but nothing is!

The rear was the first plan of action for me as well, it is by far the weak link of the car, but with the right "clean-ups" (or mods), it can do a pretty good 180%.