No motion when car is in drive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' E63 S
No motion when car is in drive!

Hello All,

I was having a problem with my car and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I drove the car about 20 miles and parked it. After 10 mins i got back in and put the car in drive, it highlighted the D and still no motion. After i restarted the car it worked just fine. This has happened to me on 3 occasions.

thanks,
Jesh
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM

2012 E63 wagon, 2018 E63S Wagon
I had same thing last week. After I started the car, there was no motion in R then I switched to D and no motion, either.

After restart the engine, I could drive the car but, in less than a minute, almost every warning signs went off (the engine cooling fan ran at highest RPM). I decided to drive to dealer cautiously while watching carefully on condition of the car.

After a day, they told me it was caused by a damaged outside temp sensor (located at left hand side of bumper around the intake). Dealer claimed that the damaged temp sensor (there was a hole at tip) confused the computer and thought the car was overheated. That's why computer did not allow the gear shifting if the car was parked.

After restart, the computer got reset and allowed me shifted into D. Once the car was in motion, even computer later thought the car was overheated, it would not kick out of D for safety and just kept the fan screamingly fast.

No motion in D/R should be a indication that something cause computer feels unsafe for you to engage the transmission. If your car did not have all warning signs go off after restart, it may be something else than temp sensor but I would suggest you pay a visit to dealer and have them run a diagnostic test to determain what cause the it.

Mitch
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM

14' E63 S
dealer

Thanks for the reply. I took it to the dealer after the first incident, they said they could not duplicate the problem. This time I took a video and forwarded it to my service advisor. Ill set up another appointment and point out the temp. sensor, although my warning light did not come on.

jesh