2010 E63 Jerky Acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Originally Posted by Wunderkind
Hi all,

I am considering buying a new E63 but I am having second thoughts because of the MCT transmission. The MCT mated the previous 6.2l N/A engine seemed to have suffered a lot of issues with jerkiness especially in cold start or out of junctions. This is a deal breaker for me as there is a lot of stop/start and low speed crawling traffic in Hong Kong. Have these problems been eradicated in the 2012 E63 with MCT mated to the new 5.5l twin-turbo engine?
It's not that big a deal and any cold start characteristics last for 60 seconds, likely less in hk where temps are even hotter and its not bad, just noticeable. If it concerns you, you should go test drive it and see what members are talking about. I would be more concerned with $10 a gallon gas than the character of the car in stop in go. It's pretty refined...its not like driving with a newbie driver in a manual car or anything like that.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
I hope my worries are unfounded. But it seems the MCT doesn't cope too well with light throttle application from a dead stop (clutch vs torque converter). Also, I see the limited slip differential is a must-have item.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Originally Posted by Wunderkind
I hope my worries are unfounded. But it seems the MCT doesn't cope too well with light throttle application from a dead stop (clutch vs torque converter). Also, I see the limited slip differential is a must-have item.

Like i said, you can't understand it until you go and try it. Go and test drive it. sounds like you're making decisions without getting the facts for yourself. Take the information from the boards and use it as a guide when you go shopping. There is little chop. If you're concerned about stop and go traffic, I live in NYC. When I'm off the brake, the car moves forward. No chop. JUST GO AND DRIVE it already.......
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Its good to see you researching the car, before even driving one.
You seem smart enought to realize you will want to buy it after driving it and that you may not notice such fine details on a short test drive.
Yes, definetly get the LSD.
The PP is a good idea too, for reliable power with no warranty concerns.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM

CLS350
Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
Like i said, you can't understand it until you go and try it. Go and test drive it. sounds like you're making decisions without getting the facts for yourself. Take the information from the boards and use it as a guide when you go shopping. There is little chop. If you're concerned about stop and go traffic, I live in NYC. When I'm off the brake, the car moves forward. No chop. JUST GO AND DRIVE it already.......
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try to arrange for a test drive some time this week.

I am putting a lot of weight on the comments made by the respective E63 owners on this thread because I want to hear from owners who have spent time in their E63 in all kinds of conditions. Test drives often do not reveal all the quirks and issues of the car. Many problems don't appear until after 2000km.

Last edited by Wunderkind; 04-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM

CLS350
Originally Posted by lunarx
Its good to see you researching the car, before even driving one.
You seem smart enought to realize you will want to buy it after driving it and that you may not notice such fine details on a short test drive.
Yes, definetly get the LSD.
The PP is a good idea too, for reliable power with no warranty concerns.
Thank you for your kind words. I want to hear from actual owners because I am most certain that the problems will not creep up during the test drive, as always.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM

The only other concerns are topping of oil and gas on a regular basis.
I do need to add: Say no to Pano ; )
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM

CLS350
The only other concerns are topping of oil and gas on a regular basis.
I do need to add: Say no to Pano ; )
Pano? What is it?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Definitely go for a test drive. So far, the jerkiness is really of no concern to me. The car hasn't been burning oil either but I'm sure way more aggressive driving will lead to that.

I always like to hear what others feel about pano (full length glass sunroof) since myself has a long list of things I don't like about any sunroof. However, being here in the US, there is no pano-delete option, so I settled for a regular sunroof. I have seen E63 in other countries with just a plain metal roof. Personally, I think the only good thing about pano is the cool apperance and cool factor for back passengers.

By the way, do they allow you actual test drive in HK, or is it more like test ride only.

Last edited by otakki; 04-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Well said ^

Weight up high is never good for handling.

I'd just add that it gets annoying on sunny days because the fabric screen is not very good at blocking the radiated heat.
We have lots of sunny days here in SoCal ; )

Last edited by lunarx; 04-24-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM

2010 AMG E63, 2012 Ford Raptor, 2006 Suburban LTZ
Well said ^

I'd just add that it gets annoying on sunny days because the fabric screen is not very good at blocking the radiated heat.
We have lots of sunny days here in SoCal ; )
I have been happy with my Pano roof, on sunny days I crack all four windows, engage rear shade and put fold out screens in windows. I live in San Diego, and love the sunshine, heck we all pay for it, right?

For me its amazing that I can be driving 80MPH and hold a conversation with passengers without yelling.

To Wunderkind - I would not let the intermittant jerking issue stop me from purchasing, but like others have said try to get a long ride, perhaps it will show itself. Once car is at temp and you have gotten into on the throttle it does not general occur again. If offered with a manual I would jump on it!