Sponsored by:

MCT question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
MCT question

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking to replace an E55 with a '10 or '11 E63. This will be my wife's car, and I noticed another thread about some jerkiness in the shifting of the MCT at low speeds. I've had (or still have) several cars with a DCT (M3, GT-R, Porsche PDK), so I know how those feel compared to a true auto, but I have not driven a Mercedes with the MCT, and probably won't be driving this car before I buy it (there aren't any around where I live and I'll likely just have it shipped). So how big a potential problem is this? Does it seem to be just a few cars, or is it a few people complaining about relatively minor differences in feel between the MCT and a traditional auto? TIA for any feedback.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Short and skinny:

If you have had the DCT, GTR, and the PDK- all of which I have now, you will not have an issue with the MCT. These quirky multi clutch or dual clutch nannies occur or are heard of because some of the owners are not used to the way the system operates and reports feedback to the driver. These drivers are coming out of traditional auto slushbox trannies which are smoother but less efficient and more power robbing.

I have two MCT cars, one PDK, and one DCT (GTR but I had the E92M3 in the past) and the MCT is just as smooth if not a little more relaxed at lower speeds than the likes of the PDK and the GTR. One can always change the shift speed buttons to Comfort as well in the MCT but this takes away from the performance. At higher speeds the MCT is definitely more smooth.

Id rather have a more harsh transmission that produces a better driving car in regards to performance. This is my opinion.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by Vic55
Short and skinny:

If you have had the DCT, GTR, and the PDK- all of which I have now, you will not have an issue with the MCT. These quirky multi clutch or dual clutch nannies occur or are heard of because some of the owners are not used to the way the system operates and reports feedback to the driver. These drivers are coming out of traditional auto slushbox trannies which are smoother but less efficient and more power robbing.

I have two MCT cars, one PDK, and one DCT (GTR but I had the E92M3 in the past) and the MCT is just as smooth if not a little more relaxed at lower speeds than the likes of the PDK and the GTR. One can always change the shift speed buttons to Comfort as well in the MCT but this takes away from the performance. At higher speeds the MCT is definitely more smooth.

Id rather have a more harsh transmission that produces a better driving car in regards to performance. This is my opinion.
Excellent Vic--that's what I needed to know. Sounds like the Comfort setting may be the ticket for my wife's everyday driving, although she has driven the PDK in auto a few times and hasn't ever complained about it (IMO the PDK is the smoothest of the three DCT's I've had though).
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by R. Range
Excellent Vic--that's what I needed to know. Sounds like the Comfort setting may be the ticket for my wife's everyday driving, although she has driven the PDK in auto a few times and hasn't ever complained about it (IMO the PDK is the smoothest of the three DCT's I've had though).
My 997.2 TT PDK is smoother than the DCT in the GTR and definitely smoother than the E92 DCT.

She will be fine in comfort and shifts wont hold as long in the rpm range either.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by Vic55
My 997.2 TT PDK is smoother than the DCT in the GTR and definitely smoother than the E92 DCT.

She will be fine in comfort and shifts wont hold as long in the rpm range either.
Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM

2010 E63 AMG
I've had C32, S55, S4 which I loved. Personally I don't like my 10 E63. I wouldn't buy if I had a second chance. I enjoy both, hard and normal driving. It seems E63's MCT is good for either hard driving or very slow. Nothing in the middle. S55 was the best of all.
.... waiting for BMW F10 M5