Sponsored by:

Buying a E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS63 s-amg, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, ML350
Buying a E63

So I am looking to trade my CTS-V wagon for a 2010 E63 sedan. What are known problems with the E63 if any has come up? I tried to do a quick search myt not much came up which seems to be a good sign

Also, I might do a ECU flash. I did kleemanns on my C63 and got a lot of hp for the money (1500$). What are so called easy tunes I can do that can be reversed so I dont loose my warranty?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Veho
So I am looking to trade my CTS-V wagon for a 2010 E63 sedan. What are known problems with the E63 if any has come up? I tried to do a quick search myt not much came up which seems to be a good sign

Also, I might do a ECU flash. I did kleemanns on my C63 and got a lot of hp for the money (1500$). What are so called easy tunes I can do that can be reversed so I dont loose my warranty?

Thanks for any help!
I had my 2010 E63 for about 18 months- I had no problems. It never went to the dealer at all (did oil changes with my personal tech). The car did tend to burn oil but that all depends on how you drive it.

The tune wont gain what you did with your C63 since the C63 comes slightly more detuned from the factory but you will still get maybe 30 hp and 30 tq over the curve from a reputable tuner like Renntech, OE, Kleemann, etc.

Others here may have different experiences.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
No problem so far for me but I have only owned it for 2.5 months.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
no worries: had rear air baffles replaced under warranty, and like Vic said, the car will eat some oil depending on how aggressive you are......I had to add a Q after about 4K miles, then had it changed at 6 so I could sleep better at night.....
I'm trading mine for a cls, but the E is still a HELL of a car, I'll be sad to see it go
Old 02-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by hyperion667
no worries: had rear air baffles replaced under warranty, and like Vic said, the car will eat some oil depending on how aggressive you are......I had to add a Q after about 4K miles, then had it changed at 6 so I could sleep better at night.....
I'm trading mine for a cls, but the E is still a HELL of a car, I'll be sad to see it go
As much as I liked the 6.3 N/A engine- I like the TT better. I never thought Id say this but I like the TT better than even the 55K engine.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.. Vic55, What makes the tt engine better in your opinion? I havnt driven it yet so cant compare but i just loved the old engine in my c63 so im exited to get one again
Im pretty happy there doesnt seem to be any known common problems with the E63. With the cts-v there were warning signs but i didnt listen. I did learn a lesson there... To stay with Mercedes...
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Be sure to get PP (LSD & Sport Suspension) if you want it to handle better than your CTS-V.
I also have a CTS-V and E63 w/ above handles better IMHO.
Only problems I have are steering rack noise (dealer said they fixed but still noisy, so going back).

What happened w/ your V?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I figure I would get the last N/A AMG engine since everything from now on is likely TT, which I'm sure I'll own in the future. Of course, it would be nice if more power/torque can be extracted from the E63's 6.2 N/A (M156) like AMG did with the SLS (M159). But of course, the enhanced 6.2 N/A is justified by SLS's price tag.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM

^^^ Good Call.
Everyone knows bigger NA is better than smaller Turbo.
Both engines are great though.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by lunarx
Be sure to get PP (LSD & Sport Suspension) if you want it to handle better than your CTS-V.
I also have a CTS-V and E63 w/ above handles better IMHO.
Only problems I have are steering rack noise (dealer said they fixed but still noisy, so going back).

What happened w/ your V?

Nothing really happened but I am having a hard time getting used to it after driving mercedes for so many years. Basically I only like the looks, space (have the V wagon BD edition) and suspension (AWESOME) but the interior quality (I think it looks nice inside) drives me nuts, rattles and cracks while turning and breaking. My Recaros wiggle, I dont like the navigation/command unit and I have an automatic gearbox on my V which I hate. Dont like the engine as much as the old 63 either.

I dont mean to bash on the V, knowing you have one. It actually has grown on me a bit since the first 1-2 months and it still is a GREAT price/performance car and I love the fact that I dont see many of them around.
What do you think are the positives and negatives on your V and specially comparing to your E63?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM

I saw your post on in the Wagon thread, so I do fully understand where you are coming from on the CTS-V.

I agree with you on the automatic, as stick is the only way to go on a CTS-V.
I actually wish the E63 was a stick but at least it's a very good automatic.
Only other E63 complaint is that it can't shift from the console (even the Smart car can shift via console & paddles).

I'm actually surprised to see how much crossover there is here regarding other cars like CTS-V and GTR.
Porsche, BMW and Audi were a given though.

If asked to compare I'd say;
CTS_V is comfortable for a fast car.
E63 is fast for a comfortable car.

I think both compare well in regards to performance capability (with proper choice of AMG performance options) but clearly MB has comfort and refinement that Cadillac cannot match.
The auto journalist quote that the E63 is 2 cars for the price of 2 is very appropriate.

I don't think Cadillac has it in them, to compete with MB in comfort and refinement, even if they charged more.
It's good that they know their place and charge accordingly while still putting a max effort towards performance and fun driving. That part they got right.

AMG and the M156 (ok M157 too) engine have really elevated the MB line to proper performance car levels. Without that, MB would be a really dull ride. They are getting it right now and I hope they keep it up.

Last edited by lunarx; 02-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by lunarx
I saw your post on in the Wagon thread, so I do fully understand where you are coming from on the CTS-V.

I agree with you on the automatic, as stick is the only way to go on a CTS-V.
I actually wish the E63 was a stick but at least it's a very good automatic.
Only other E63 complaint is that it can't shift from the console (even the Smart car can shift via console & paddles).

I'm actually surprised to see how much crossover there is here regarding other cars like CTS-V and GTR.
Porsche, BMW and Audi were a given though.

If asked to compare I'd say;
CTS_V is comfortable for a fast car.
E63 is fast for a comfortable car.

I think both compare well in regards to performance capability (with proper choice of AMG performance options) but clearly MB has comfort and refinement that Cadillac cannot match.
The auto journalist quote that the E63 is 2 cars for the price of 2 is very appropriate.

I don't think Cadillac has it in them, to compete with MB in comfort and refinement, even if they charged more.
It's good that they know their place and charge accordingly while still putting a max effort towards performance and fun driving. That part they got right.

AMG and the M156 (ok M157 too) engine have really elevated the MB line to proper performance car levels. Without that, MB would be a really dull ride. They are getting it right now and I hope they keep it up.
Thank you for your reply i think that is very well said :
"CTS-V is comfortable for a fast car and the E63 is fast for a comfortable car."

I was looking for a bit more comfort than what the CTS-V offers, hence I believe the E63 would be the car for me. The last week or so I have enjoyed my CTS-V a bit more cos I have been driving it a bit more aggressively and Im getting more used to the throttle/engine. I need to have music on so I dont hear the center console keep noise and I do need to fix the Recaro drivers seat next time it goes in for service. I dont think I ever will get used to the noisy interior and the bad tranny but the other stuff I can live with now that I am getting more used to the car. I will still be on the lookout for a white e63 and when I find one to my liking I am going to change. Until then I will try to enjoy my V as much as possible. I do feel I might have been a bit too hard on my CTS-V in the beginning. I believe it was because I really was expecting a quieter ride than what it offers and that is one thing I value most in my cars. So I was a bit disappointed.. Even tho I cant stand some things in my CTS-V, it does have some amazing qualities and it is a great price/performer. No question about that.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 AM

Glad to hear you are enjoying the V more. If you are going to sell it, you may as well get the most out of it untill then.

It's true you would be happier with an E63. The only thing you give up is a little HP and noise. Don't let anyone tell you an E63 does not handle good, because it is a fantastic handling car. Anyone who said otherwise probably didn't have LSD and sport suspension.

Also, in sedan format the E63 is roomier (trunk & interior) than the V. That should help you in downsizing from a wagon. Be sure to get the split folding rear seats option, to maximize utility.

I'm sure you are considering the E63 Estate also.
Keep us posted on what you decide.