Sponsored by:

carbon fiber top cover- removal ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
carbon fiber top cover- removal ?

No experience with these cars, and it is showing, but I am trying to learn. . Can't seem to even get the carbon fiber top cover off the engine? Car is a my 2012 . Forward clips came out fine, but rearward ones (where cover flares out in back of ecu) will not budge. Do they pull up like the front clips? No help in owners manual, and tried to search here to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. thanks-
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E63 (NA, PP), W209 CLK55
Yes, it just lifts up, but the back ones are tougher. After loosening the front, lift it all the way by pulling (pushing?) the cover up with your hand underneath towards the rear (where you can feel it being held) and LIGHTLY hammer fist the airbox (on the same side as you're trying to lift) as you push the cover up with your other hand. Do it a few times and it will pop off. Yes, these back clips tend to hold very well while the front ones do not, but all you need to do essentially is lift up straight.

I replaced mine with a Carbonio airbox and engine cover, primarily for aesthetics, but with a mild gain in hp/tq
Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Scary thing to do, huh?! I bet everyone who did it was afraid it's going to go--BAM & SNAP, and before you know it, you see all these splintered out CF's sticking out the edge of the now broken cover.