Sponsored by:

shifting into reverse - 2012 model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
shifting into reverse - 2012 model

Question for '12 owners with the new (I believe) for '12 low profile shifter. When you are in park, and want reverse, can you get to reverse directly, or do you have to cycle through it (r) and come back up to it? I may be losing it, but I thought I could do just that initially, yet now 2 weeks and 500 miles in, it will not shift from park to reverse. The sequence - from park through reverse also seems not smooth=clunky. Again, a difference from when i first drive the car. Dealer says shifting is ok, said that is the way the shift sequence is suposed to work. I had them check it out today. I am not necessarily in agreement- yet. Any info would be appreciated
I called Mercedes today, to clarify if there is a misprint in the owners manual for the 2000 mile diff service for our cars. The way they list it, it looks like the E63 gets this service, regardless of LSD installed, yet all the other AMG models are listed for the service only if the LSD is installed. The tech also cited their doc notes the p 30 option should get the diff changed. It also had the 470 option, which is the actual LSD option number. So they have their doc a bit messed up, and hopefully will correct .
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I didnt drive my CLS today but I think when in PARK all I do is push the gear selector forward towards the engine and it engages Reverse.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63
Originally Posted by tfsiii
Question for '12 owners with the new (I believe) for '12 low profile shifter. When you are in park, and want reverse, can you get to reverse directly, or do you have to cycle through it (r) and come back up to it? I may be losing it, but I thought I could do just that initially, yet now 2 weeks and 500 miles in, it will not shift from park to reverse. The sequence - from park through reverse also seems not smooth=clunky. Again, a difference from when i first drive the car. Dealer says shifting is ok, said that is the way the shift sequence is suposed to work. I had them check it out today. I am not necessarily in agreement- yet. Any info would be appreciated
I called Mercedes today, to clarify if there is a misprint in the owners manual for the 2000 mile diff service for our cars. The way they list it, it looks like the E63 gets this service, regardless of LSD installed, yet all the other AMG models are listed for the service only if the LSD is installed. The tech also cited their doc notes the p 30 option should get the diff changed. It also had the 470 option, which is the actual LSD option number. So they have their doc a bit messed up, and hopefully will correct .
No need to cycle. Pop it forward and go.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
yeah its like a double foward push, it is sorta clunky tho
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
Thanks for the replies guys. Vic, i was little confused when i read what you do, but then I tried it, and eureka! It seems conterintuitive, since the park light is lit, and you want to go to the next position down(which is away from engine) to reverse, but like you said, when in park, I move it toward the engine, and smothly as silk, it engages reverse!! I now want to figure how to get this thing in the air, jack stands and jack pads etc. I have seen some links to some gear.Somethign I fouind today, though Im sure most ***** already know this, but was lifting the hood, and I realized that is goes to full vertical position? Who knew? Never had a vehicle that did that , and makes engine bay access same as with hood off! thanks again, and regards-
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Same thing on shifting with the '10 and '11 models. Also only the ones with the LSD need the 2000 miles diff service.

By the way, please let me know how you will jack up your car. After some researching, I'll be using the jack pads and stands from the website, www.reverselogic.us. However, I can't think of a way to put the car onto the stands unless I can jack from a central location, ie engine support cross beam or the rear differential but I'm not sure if it is okay or safe to jack at those locations.