help me figure out the root of my car problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63, 2008 ML63
help me figure out the root of my car problem

hi
long story short....i tried to install new air boxes (carbonio to be exact) on my 11' e63 and i started the car and it was going crazy on me...like it was having a freaking seizure...jerking up and down rps almost violently...the check engine light started flickering...i felt like my car was going to stall so i pulled to the side of the road and shut the car down and restarted and it was 5% better then i drove home...anyways thought it might be the MAF sensors not installed probably or there was air leaking from the boxes i have no clue...i tried and fix the issue by further sealing the maf sensors to the boxes and the problem persisted but not as bad...drove around thinking the cars ecu might adapt to the very awkward gear shifts but it was plain and simply driving super weird...like on s+ the car went from 1st gear to 5th gear by just driving up to 20-25mph.... i decided (obviously) to put back the oem air boxes...the car drives 85% better...the gear shifts seem a bit jerkier than i remember as well as the down shifts...i feel like almost a double up shift going from 4th gear to 5th gear on S+....like a half shift hesitation then a second one to shift completely... while driving the car i also notice a noise from the outside...kind of like a sink drain (sorth of a hollow noise with a slight rattling)....anyways do you think i screwed something up by putting on that aftermarket air box?? or do you think im paranoid? lol
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
I think that the way you put the MAF sensors in is causing the problem. i put them upside down on error and was getting detonation and trembling but once i put them correct it went away . Also if the seat where the MAF gets screwed into place does not have a gasket and air leaks thru it will make the car run like crap . DID you put the gaskets in before setting the MAFs ? Also did you reset thru star or just disconnect battery ?

like i suggested before you installed this box you are getting alot of more air into the motor now and you will need to tune the car to adjust all AFR 's .

MOre Air needs More Fuel needs needs Less restrictive exhaust .

Any shop in the area ?

Last edited by DAGREEKNYC; 04-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM

2011 E63, 2008 ML63
i did everything according to the companys instructions and both gaskets were placed in the right places and were flush with both sensors...and the car was shaking violently and felt like it was going to either blow up into pieces or stall... i even went to my tech guy here and he installed it as well as it could have been installed yet the car was still driving very awkwardly... carbonio is going to have a look at it and well see...maybe theyll find something that is beyond the naked eye..hopefully ill be able to put it in again...but for now the car drives differently with the oem boxes yet allot better then it did with carbonios on and thats why im paranoid that something happened in that process...i even went to my dealer and he said everything seems to be normal on the road tests but i drive it on the daily and would notice things allot more than he could..its very mysterious because the boxes seem very well built but im sure we'll get to the source...hopefully...
Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by 6.2AMG
and the car was shaking violently and felt like it was going to either blow up into pieces or stall...
I don't know about you but that sounds scary. Hopefully your car will be back to normal soon.

Man, I'm just going to leave my car oem. I'll just keep on only getting cars that is as highly tuned as possible by the factory, ie AMG or Bimmer M, then I'm just gonna follow the old adage: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM

2011 E63, 2008 ML63
can someone please tell me if they hear a slight hollow noise when driving with the windows down??
kind of like a sink drain (sorth of a hollow noise with a slight rattling)..im not talking about the normal crackling noises...
can someone with a w212 e63 plllllllease check next time they drive for this exact noise?
i want to know if its normal or not.... its pretty faint but with a good enough ear you'd be able to hear it... thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm, pretty hard to figure out what type of sound you are referring to. What type of rims and tires do you have on your car? Maybe it's from the tire?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM

2011 E63, 2008 ML63
it sounds like rain is falling on a hollow piece of metal...i cant really explain it more than that...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't recall hearing something like that. What are your settings and speed when you hear that noise, ie shift setting, suspension setting, A/C on/off, etc?