Sponsored by:

Blacked out chrome project complete--Artic White

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Blacked out chrome project complete--Artic White

Just wanted to put up some pictures of my little project.

Wanted to try plasti dip and I have to say, it's amazing how easy it was to use on the badges and lettering. The definition you get on the lettering is increadibly exact and I really like the idea that it comes off it you decide you don't like the look. It also works great on parts like the hood star, which can't really get vinyl wrapped. The other options are to buy a new unit and paint or use the flat hood badge, which I'm not really a fan of.

I did try it plastic dip on the window trim but had a problem with it pulling the edge off, so went with vinyl there instead.

Did the front grill replacment from 55Tech via ebay and I'm happy with the quality and fit. Swapped the OEM grill badge over as well.

The door handles are the only thing left with chrome and I think I'm going to leave them. Not sure vinyl will work there and as its a lease, I'm not going to be painting, but I'm ok with this.

In the meantime the plasti dip parts have been through 3 car washes (1 by machine) and appear as good as the day I coated them.

On to the pics (sorry, used an iphone). Let me know if anybody has any questions.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
get painted side markers too, orange looks bad.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by NickyBlack
get painted side markers too, orange looks bad.
+2.... cart before the horse here doing all the other stuff before the pumpkin pie markers....

but what you did do, does look good
Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
plasti-dip

I heard great things about Plasti Dip on other forums but mentioned it on this forum and got terrible comments.

I do also like that you can take it off when done.

Looks good and this will be my next mod. Did you use index cards

Originally Posted by Midcont
Just wanted to put up some pictures of my little project.

Wanted to try plasti dip and I have to say, it's amazing how easy it was to use on the badges and lettering. The definition you get on the lettering is increadibly exact and I really like the idea that it comes off it you decide you don't like the look. It also works great on parts like the hood star, which can't really get vinyl wrapped. The other options are to buy a new unit and paint or use the flat hood badge, which I'm not really a fan of.

I did try it plastic dip on the window trim but had a problem with it pulling the edge off, so went with vinyl there instead.

Did the front grill replacment from 55Tech via ebay and I'm happy with the quality and fit. Swapped the OEM grill badge over as well.

The door handles are the only thing left with chrome and I think I'm going to leave them. Not sure vinyl will work there and as its a lease, I'm not going to be painting, but I'm ok with this.
I heard great things about Plasti Dip on other forums but mentioned it on this forum and got terrible comments.

I do also like that you can take it off when done.

Looks good and this will be my next mod. Did you use index cards

In the meantime the plasti dip parts have been through 3 car washes (1 by machine) and appear as good as the day I coated them.

On to the pics (sorry, used an iphone). Let me know if anybody has any questions.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM

E63
I'm on the fence about the orange markers. I would do body color but some quick research tells me its a major pain to get them in and out. I know they look bad in pictures but in real life they really don't bother me. Thinking about it though.
Dropstop, give it a try. Negative perception vs. positive experience. If you don't like it take it right off. Not sure what you mean about index cards. I used a toothpick and a tweezer to get the excess material off. The prep is 90% of the work.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 AM

e63 2010 W212
Originally Posted by Midcont
I'm on the fence about the orange markers. I would do body color but some quick research tells me its a major pain to get them in and out. I know they look bad in pictures but in real life they really don't bother me. Thinking about it though.
i did my markers on the car, didnt remove. its possible.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 AM

E63
Lease is up, so I removed the black grill and it's for sale.
Please see this thread if interested
https://mbworld.org/forums/exterior-...ml#post6370092