Sponsored by:

2011 E63 Estate vs 2013 C63 Estate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 Estate vs 2013 C63 Estate?

Hi guys,

I'm having some difficulties sleeping. Time has come to say farewell to the Audi A7 and bring in something a bit more practical. It's been quite a few years since I last owned a AMG (08 SLK 55 AMG), but I've really wanted to have another go for a long time after passing through a few Audi S, BMW M and now the Audi A7.

I have a few thoughts occupying my thoughts.

The 5.5 TT vs the 6.2 NA. I really love the 6.2 NA. The first time I drove it at a AMG event when it was launched I was flabbergasted by the sound, performance and the "non Merc" hooligan behaviour. I haven't driven the new 5.5 TT. According to the posts I've read here, it should be better in pretty much every way. However, the price difference between a TT and NA is quite big here in Sweden at the moment (we are talking about $30,000) and I wonder if it's worth it?

The second thought is a bit more emotional. How will I feel once the facelifted E-class hits the roads? How will it feel driving the "old model"? How will it affect the sell on value later?

A brand new 2014 E63 Estate is out of my reach anyway, so my realistic options are: A 2011 E63 Estate or a 2013 facelifted C63 AMG with the performance package. The benefits of the C63 is that it's newer, recently refreshed and cheaper to run. However, with (soon) 2 kids it might be a bit cramped.

Other outside options are the X5 / X6 M (a new X5 on it's way, feeling a bit old, not as fun as the AMGs) or possibly a Cayenne S (the Panamera 4 / 4S is within reach but probably too unpractical).

Coming from a 2012 A7, is there a risk that the 2011 E63 will feel old technology wise? I'm used to the google maps, online search and everything that goes with it. I heard that the 2012 E63 got quite an update on that department as well.

Any guidance, feedback would be much appreciated (and sorry about the long post)

Thanks,

/Stefan
Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
It's nice that a M156 E63 is available there. If I have to pick, I would go for the '11 E Estate. However, the option for AWD in a few years is somthing you might want to consider in a winter-striken country. The updated exterior, IMO, is not as nice as it should be. However, some might like the new style. With any update, it will certainly cause a little bit more depreciation in the old style, but not by much. However, you might be able to use that to your advantage if you decide to go for a E Estate.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 BMW 2002Tii, 2013 E63 wagon Cavansite P30+Premium
Originally Posted by acey

A brand new 2014 E63 Estate is out of my reach anyway, so my realistic options are: A 2011 E63 Estate or a 2013 facelifted C63 AMG with the performance package. The benefits of the C63 is that it's newer, recently refreshed and cheaper to run. However, with (soon) 2 kids it might be a bit cramped.

Other outside options are the X5 / X6 M (a new X5 on it's way, feeling a bit old, not as fun as the AMGs) or possibly a Cayenne S (the Panamera 4 / 4S is within reach but probably too unpractical).

Coming from a 2012 A7, is there a risk that the 2011 E63 will feel old technology wise? I'm used to the google maps, online search and everything that goes with it. I heard that the 2012 E63 got quite an update on that department as well.

Any guidance, feedback would be much appreciated (and sorry about the long post)

Thanks,

/Stefan
That's quite the dilemma you have! I think if you are coming from a 12' A7, any of those choices might feel a little dated. The A7 chassis is relatively new and the electronics would be more up to date/advanced when compared to the E63 estate and the refreshed C63.

Solely based on having kids (twins I assume?), I would go for the estate. I have the 13' E63 estate and find the storage capacity for all my baby's stuff to be amazing. Much more roomy than my Range Rover Sport. Strollers take up a large amount of space even when folded in half!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
If you've got kids that are starting to enter their teens, I'd highly recommend the E. I think the C's back seats are too cramped (not enough legroom) for any extended driving if you've got medium height people. Another thing is if you drive elder people, it'll be harder for them to get in and out of the back of the C because the doors don't open wide enough so it's sort of a tight fit to get in there.