Tapping noise from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black '10 E63
Tapping noise from engine

Not sure if this is a case of "when it rains it pours..."

Car has been driven 15,000 miles over 2 years. All servicing has been done at the MB dealer including oil changes, so I assume the proper oil grades and weights have been used.

A week ago, I noticed after a long drive (> 1hr) and the oil temp sitting at a constant 212 degrees, a tapping noise will begin to emanate from the engine bay at higher rpm's. Specifically, closer to the shift points. I did a search to no avail but I did come across the whole cam/lifter issue. The car is going in to the dealer on Monday for the shifter issues (other thread on Park mode not engaging). I can't find my last service ticket so I'm not sure the oil weight used in the last oil change. The dealer should have that on file anyhow. Thanks to a generous member on the board here, they looked up my car's datacard and I'm indeed in the "affected" group of M156 engines.

Suspect oil weights causing the tapping or am I in the beginning stages of this cam/lifter fiasco? Anyone with a similar experience and care to share what their dealer uncovered as the problem?

Thanks for looking...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM

E250 CDI Sport 2012
Tapping noise after 1st service

Hi there,

I'm the owner of E250 CDI SPORT and I love this car. We'll I did all theway up to after 1st service done by Mercedes Benz Brooklands, Waybridge, UK.

After this service I noticed tapping noise from engine. This is happening more when excelerating and it's so annoying. Also my fuel consumption has gone up by at least 8 miles per gallon.

I took took my car twice back to the same garage to hear that they loaded new software update, did change air intake rubber hose as that was re-call but despite all my car is still same.

This very same vehile was running just fine, perfect and smoode before it went fot this 1st service.???????

Oh yeah forgot to say that i was told that on this service they have also changed injectors as they had some issues with old manufactors/old injectors.

I dont know what else to do to make MB see this problem and do something about it.

Guys, has anyone know what the problem is , what to say to MB , how to resolve this? ALL I WANT IS MY CAR HOW IT WAS.

focus_uk
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM

E250 Sport
I have the exact same problem. Exactly the same after the service and injectors being changed. Fuel ecomomy seems down too and the rattle \ ticking noise drives me mad!

Did you ever find a solution?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Black '10 E63
Nope, the dealer could not replicate the issue. The service rep kept my car overnight and drove it home and back. Still couldn't replicate the issue. I'll have to time it right and swing by the dealer sometime when the car is exhibiting the issue and see if I can get them to hear it. It's easy to miss unless you're taking it easy and in a more quiet environment.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM

E 63,E55 (gone) E46 ///M ,B5 stage 3 S4 ,E36 ///M , 03 EVO (800 WHP)
Mine started like that on and off would come and go every now and the. then yesterday the started changing my lifters and cams. they became damaged.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Let us know what you find out. Mine does the same thing. Its a ticking noise coming from the engine. I hear it most often when I outside and my wife pulls up or is leaving. Sometimes I can hear it while we are driving if there is not a lot of other noise and its under light acceleration. I took ours in once for this problem when I was returning it for the 3rd time to fix another problem. I just got so frustrated at my local dealer that I've just given up trying to get them to work on anything. So if you find something out, please post it.