W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

MotorTrend - 2014 E63 S Wagon runs 0-60 in 3.4 and 11.7's @120!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by mainly
why would you say that?

think about it. they called it RACE START for a reason.

you arent giving AMG engineers much credit, saying that a feature they engineered into all their cars is basically useless...?

i would bet race start would yeild the best time.

i know it does with the m5.
Have you ever been to a race track?

Traction is not an issue for all AWD car at a race track/dragstrip

Racestart cuts power or implements braking to prevent wheel slippage which would, at a dragstrip, possibly impede your progress.

The amount of rubber already laid down at a track, would be a huge benefit for an AWD car. I believe several members have tried race start at the track, and yeilded better results in manual mode, but that was with rear drive cars.

Race Start is really a street application, but i'm waiting to hear on its AWD application.

Hey Karl...if your car was only hooking 1.97/60ft, then you car is making some crazy steam

Congrats
Old 08-27-2013 | 11:40 AM

Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by callmiro
Have you ever been to a race track?

Traction is not an issue for all AWD car at a race track/dragstrip

Racestart cuts power or implements braking to prevent wheel slippage which would, at a dragstrip, possibly impede your progress.

lol.

yea i have.

once again, you're underestimating AMG engineers and OVER estimating the driving abilities of the average owner. race start takes the driver aspect out of the equation. i have tested race start and launch control in AMG's and M's and its proven to better the times. as for the AWD, once again if AMG thought it to be no longer a benefit they would have removed it all together.

not to mention, the car still has about 350 hp to the rear wheels. ive broken rear tires loose with less.

Last edited by mainly; 08-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2013 | 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
lol.

yea i have.

once again, you're underestimating AMG engineers and OVER estimating the driving abilities of the average owner. race start takes the driver aspect out of the equation. i have tested race start and launch control in AMG's and M's and its proven to better the times. as for the AWD, once again if AMG thought it to be no longer a benefit they would have removed it all together.

not to mention, the car still has about 350 hp to the rear wheels. ive broken rear tires loose with less.

I'm not underestimating anything. I'm putting context to the discussion.

The average owner isnt going to be at the drag strip.

Again, its documented in several magazines that racestart actually added a 10th to 0-60 times vs all nannies off with a good driver.

Race Start controls traction, which equates to impeding power. In an AWD situation you would want to build as much steam, out of the bucket, to get the advantage. The AWD AMG is naturally going to hook harder, even without race start intervention.
Old 08-27-2013 | 12:11 PM

The average owner isnt going to be at the drag strip.
so what? you said yourself that racestart is more applicable on the street, than at the dragstrip.. so whats your point?

Again, its documented in several magazines that racestart actually added a 10th to 0-60 times vs all nannies off with a good driver.

fine. you're stating whats "documented in magazines."

im stating my own personal real world experience.
Old 08-27-2013 | 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Karl901
0 to 60ft I was at 1.97sec. I would have used Race start at the track , but there was no time to screw with at the line.
i know how it is. you dont want to waste time fiddling around with it.

i finally just said screw it. and took like 6-7 seconds to set it up. and once i got the hang of it i can arm the race start/launch control now fairly quickly. besides, it doesnt affect your time, even if it takes you 5-10 seconds. you might look a little silly, but if feels good when you pull off a better time. i found with the AMG race start, the drive control unit is actually kind of stubborn and works easier if you dont RUSH it.

you dont really have anything to lose.

but in all honesty race start is the lousiest of all the launch control systems (between BMW, porsche, and mercedes)
Old 08-27-2013 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
so what? you said yourself that racestart is more applicable on the street, than at the dragstrip.. so whats your point?

My point is that they would never know if it yielded a better result without data, from a track. It would just be a seat of the pants experience.
Old 08-27-2013 | 02:05 PM

My point is that they would never know if it yielded a better result without data, from a track. It would just be a seat of the pants experience.
so you're sayinig that a couple of 10ths difference between using race start vs not using it could only be measured at a place like a track?

well thats kinda what were talking about here, track results. isnt it?

first you say race start is for more of a street application, but then go on to contradict it with "they would never know if it yielded a better result without data, from a track"

Last edited by mainly; 08-27-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2013 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
so you're sayinig that a couple of 10ths difference between using race start vs not using it could only be measured at a place like a track?

well thats kinda what were talking about here, track results. isnt it?

first you say race start is for more of a street application, but then go on to contradict it with "they would never know if it yielded a better result without data, from a track"
Do you approach every one of your posts as a new thought or do you even remember what you wrote?

You're the one that stated Race Start would yield better results at the track. This is a result of your seat of the pants analysis. You have nothing to verify this.

I'm stating at the track, race start would be a disadvantage. I'm quoting magazine results as well as feedback from owners.
Old 08-27-2013 | 05:07 PM

Do you approach every one of your posts as a new thought or do you even remember what you wrote?

You're the one that stated Race Start would yield better results at the track. This is a result of your seat of the pants analysis. You have nothing to verify this.

I'm stating at the track, race start would be a disadvantage. I'm quoting magazine results as well as feedback from owners.
nothing to verify it? and how exactly are you able to conclude that?

yes i stated race start would yield better results at the track. because i TESTED it myself. at a track. short memory?

are you telling me what i did and didnt do now?

i said before, that i was speaking from my own personal experience of racing both the m5 and the AMG at the track using race start vs no race start. and i got better results(faster times) using race start and LC.

i achieved 2 tenths faster times (from 12.1 down to 11.9)consistantly using race start as well as launch control.

and yes, i hear you. you're STATING results from someone else's results magazines.

im stating that ive done my own testing.

you might try it some time.

lol
Old 08-27-2013 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
nothing to verify it? and how exactly are you able to conclude that?

yes i stated race start would yield better results at the track. because i TESTED it myself. at a track. short memory?

are you telling me what i did and didnt do now?

i said before, that i was speaking from my own personal experience of racing both the m5 and the AMG at the track using race start vs no race start. and i got better results(faster times) using race start and LC.

i achieved 2 tenths faster times (from 12.1 down to 11.9)consistantly using race start as well as launch control.

and yes, i hear you. you're STATING results from someone else's results magazines.

im stating that ive done my own testing.

you might try it some time.

lol

Wow....11.9 with a stock CLS. Impressive

So you picked up 2 10ths with RaceStart?

Where did you pic it up....60 ft or MPH?
Old 08-27-2013 | 06:02 PM

Wow....11.9 with a stock CLS. Impressive

So you picked up 2 10ths with RaceStart?

Where did you pic it up....60 ft or MPH?
YES. thats what ive been trying to say.

probably mostly picked up in the 60 foot. but some of the runs were over a year ago and i dont keep all the slips.

actually my best with the cls went from 12.22 down to 12.0 flat with race start.

the 11.9 (down from 12.2) was with the m5 with LC. at 122.88 mph.

as well i should note that with race start/LC, times were consistantly better!

just plain old launching off idle, rolling on throttle, etc, etc, my times would vary alot. anywhere from 11.9 all the way up to 12.8-12.9!!

using race start i would never go above 12.2

its essentially duplicate runs when you use race start. you, the driver have nothing to do with the result. just variances in lanes maybe, or wind changes that make the differences of .1 - .2, who knows. but the race start and LC are very consistant. the worst is the AMG race start is miserable to activate. even worse than the m5, IMO.

another thing that really helps is taking a ~20 min break in between runs, shutting off the engine, and lifting the hood. again these are things ive tried that personally worked for me. but im sure everyone has tried these things, but if you havent, you should. my fastest time ever in the m5 was after a 20 min rest,with te engine shut off. then with LC = 11.9 at 122.88 mph.

Last edited by mainly; 08-27-2013 at 06:07 PM.