W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL PPF Pattern for '14 E63

Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
XPEL PPF Pattern for '14 E63

XPEL has released the facelifted W212 patterns for paint protection film.

What this means is that PPF installers should not be installing film by freehand or otherwise cutting on your paint.

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...&submodel=4352

You can see what each template looks like on that linky. Park sensors cutouts are already there.

They're not listing any patterns for the wagon. But aren't they the same from the A pillar forward?

Proform (another PPF template company) does not have a pattern for the '14 E63.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM

And I've seen a lot of supposed "top notch" or "expert" freehand installations of PPF. For every stellar one, there is a hack job with razor cuts into the paint. Then what do you do?

Lots of installers will claim to be the Michelangelo of PPF. But that's generally not the case.

$0.02
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by ace10
And I've seen a lot of supposed "top notch" or "expert" freehand installations of PPF. For every stellar one, there is a hack job with razor cuts into the paint. Then what do you do?

Lots of installers will claim to be the Michelangelo of PPF. But that's generally not the case.

$0.02
What's the deal with this stuff? Isn't it just the same as a big clear bra?

Can you detail over top of it (zaino or equivalent)?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chocofishez

Which stuff?

PPF is an acronym for Paint Protection Film. Not unlike using the generic term "clear bra" or "3M film" or whatever.

XPEL Ultimate is supposed to be one of the better PPFs out there.

I hardly ever wash my cars, let alone detail them, so I have no clue about you 2nd question. I live on a gravel road. Washing cars is futile.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Which stuff?

PPF is an acronym for Paint Protection Film. Not unlike using the generic term "clear bra" or "3M film" or whatever.

I hardly ever wash my cars, let alone detail them, so I have no clue about you 2nd question. I live on a gravel road. Washing cars is futile.
I was referring to the XPEL. Not sure what the fuss is as I think this stuff has been around for years?

Every car I've taken delivery of the dealer has asked me if I wanted a clear bra and I've said yes. This year I did the whole front. But seems some guys are more particular about this.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

I was referring to the XPEL. Not sure what the fuss is as I think this stuff has been around for years?

Every car I've taken delivery of the dealer has asked me if I wanted a clear bra and I've said yes. This year I did the whole front. But seems some guys are more particular about this.

I've got a buddy who does this work for a living. Unfortunately he doesn't live in my area. He loathes the 3M product. Say it's harder to install, doesn't hold up over time, has a rough finish and it very difficult to remove.

I think each installer has a preference. Maybe it's driven by profit margins, or ease of install, or warranty support, or whatever.

Now that the XPEL patterns are available, I'm going to get the E63 done in the Ultimate.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
Had mine done about 3 weeks ago with Expel ultimate. My installer had the correct precut kit.

I had partial hood, bumper and rocker panels done. It also covered the mirrors, the door handle spots and around the rear wheels well.

X
Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Which stuff?

Just have a professional do it. I know a great guy out in Herndon that is not too expensive.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R8 V10, 2013 Cayenne GTS, 2014 GLK 250

You can detail over top of the film. Xpel Ultimate, if scratched or let's say hit by a few of those nice little rocks that Edmonton and Calgary like to put on the road at winter time, can be repaired using a heat gun (hair dryer?). When a patch was put on my car, it was scratched with steel wool. Then, the scratches disappeared of were "healed" with a heat gun.

The other nice thing about Xpel ultimate is that it does not have orange peel, which makes it hard to see on the car.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Sounds interesting. I've used their headlight/foglight protection when I had my C63. Excellent quality…I would definitely try their products again.

I had the protective film (I'm not sure what brand) thrown in for free this time.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM

1968 Hemi Dart, 1971 Hemicuda, 2009 ML63 (sold), E63S Wagon
Rocker panel and luggage area templates

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my E63S wagon and am planning some paint protection using expel ultimate. All will be professionally installed. It seems the pre-cut sedan template kits should be OK for the Full hood, fender and mirrors as well as the front bumper. Headlight protection should also be the same.

Does anyone know if the rocker panel and luggage (rear bumper) templates would be the same for the wagon as for the sedan? I would think the rocker panel areas are the same, but I am unsure about the rear wheel-well and lower quarter panel extensions that are in this kit. The bumper I expect will be different. It may be best/necessary to have the installer deal with these in their own way.

Also, does anyone have suggestions about windshield protection?

Thanks to anyone who can be of assistance.

Wayne

Last edited by drhemi; 01-16-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added question
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Just get someone with a good rep to install and they can custom cut anything for you.

I did the whole car, so everything from the A pillar back is custom.

I would just get insurance for the windshield. Replacement cost in Canada is $1300-$1400. $80 a year is cheap insurance to get a replacement once every 2 years.

I looked into clearplex, and with Calgary weather, my installer said that you have to replace it every year for around $400.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 AM

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, TX
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S wagon w212; GLC63; GLC300; 720S
X-Pel headquarters is here in TX. They're prototyping the wagon-specific stuff, rear, on my car. Sedan patterns available as noted, I have them do rear bumper/load area and rear rockers, as I run on loose surfaces. Rockers may be a bit different on wagon as well, so they'll check that.

I'll post up once they've prototyped it. The don't cut on the car, they scan it and cut off car, fiddle with fit as well before finalized. Very talented bunch. They did all prototyping for 599 on my car, including park sensors, US side markers, etc. I don't do whole car, but they scan and do patterns for it all.

I've used it on many cars, and new film holds color well, stays clear. Our M3 is white, and there was initially some yellowing. The have solved that, and redid it. Clear, unnoticeable.

Careful what products used on the film. They have cleaner and polish, I've used other stuff too, but petroleum based stuff can fog or discolor.

I'm tinting the Pano roof too. Need ceramic tint for that due to heat. I've done full ceramic in past on dual paned glass, but really only need for roof. Crystalline available for windshield UV block.

X-pel Ultimate does heal nicely. I hit buzzard at about 120 on RF fender. Amazingly no dents, but pretty big gouges from claws/beak. TX sun healed much of it on trip. hardest part cleaning giblet stains out of headlights.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by keyserS
Hardest part cleaning giblet stains out of headlights.
I laughed out loud during breakfast with this one!

I have been very happy with my wrap so far.

X
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by keyserS
X-Pel headquarters is here in TX. They're prototyping the wagon-specific stuff, rear, on my car. Sedan patterns available as noted, I have them do rear bumper/load area and rear rockers, as I run on loose surfaces. Rockers may be a bit different on wagon as well, so they'll check that. I'll post up once they've prototyped it.

I'm tinting the Pano roof too. Need ceramic tint for that due to heat. I've done full ceramic in past on dual paned glass, but really only need for roof. Crystalline available for windshield UV block.
Thanks keyserS,

This is a very helpful post. I am intrigued by the need to tint the pano roof. Obviously, we don't get nearly the heat up here that you do, but it seems like a good idea. I was planning on Crystalline for the rear windows and windshield upper strip. Would you use that for your roof as well?

Regards,

Wayne
Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by benyl
Just get someone with a good rep to install and they can custom cut anything for you.

I did the whole car, so everything from the A pillar back is custom.

I would just get insurance for the windshield. Replacement cost in Canada is $1300-$1400. $80 a year is cheap insurance to get a replacement once every 2 years.

I looked into clearplex, and with Calgary weather, my installer said that you have to replace it every year for around $400.
Thanks, Benyl,

I won't do the whole car but most of the susceptible areas. Hopefully mine will be done well.

The windshield advice was the way I was leaning. Insurance here in BC for windshield is significantly less than when I lived in Edmonton (about the only thing that is less!!) so I will not rush into anything.

Regards,

Wayne
Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, TX
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S wagon w212; GLC63; GLC300; 720S
Originally Posted by drhemi
This is a very helpful post. I am intrigued by the need to tint the pano roof. Obviously, we don't get nearly the heat up here that you do, but it seems like a good idea. I was planning on Crystalline for the rear windows and windshield upper strip. Would you use that for your roof as well?
Regards,
Wayne
Ceramic tint is necessary for that, as heat buildup great, focused. Think magnifying glass and ant. I've got Ceramic tint in my house too on a wall that never has shade. Tinter should know. If not, call around until you find someone that is familiar. Crystalline clear may work, I'm not sure. HTH.
Lee
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Amazing stuff!