Sponsored by:

S model vs non s model...and LSD questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'11 911 Turbo S, '15 HELLCAT, '07 Escalade, '15 Sienna
S model vs non s model...and LSD questions

So I know after a tune power wise there is no diff between a S and a non S model car. Outside of minor cosmetic things like the badges and the alcantara steering wheel , what is if any, other differences that I'm missing? Historically PP cars vs non PP cars have very similar resale...it's mostly other options that effect resale more like pano, wheels, safety items, stereo etc...

I hear there is a LSD rear on the s model car, non s does not. How much does that matter since both cars are AWD?

I asked AMS there thoughts, and they bought a non S as there shop development car, as they seem to think the LSD doesn't matter a whole lot since the car is awd, and felt paying for the s model was not worth it.

Thoughts/discuss...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Many things that are optional on the non-S are standard on the S.

You get an LSD and you also get an additional radiator. Nobody has found out what it is for yet, but I suspect it is for the intercooling system. I think late 2012 M157s got an intercooler setup that separated the water cooling for the intercooler from the engine coolant. Early M157s shared the intercooler water with the regular coolant.

AMS is looking for bang for the buck. They less they spend on a development car, the quicker they make profit. If they could get a stripped down car with cloth seats that knocked 20K off the price, I suspect they would have as seat material has no bearing on go-fast products. That being said, if LSDs didn't matter, why does your GTR have them. Even the STi has 3 locking diffs.

If you are going to tune it, I wouldn't bother with the S. I wasn't planning on tuning for the first 4 years (warranty), so I opted for the S. I can say that in the snow, you can feel the LSD doing it's magic.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by benyl
Many things that are optional on the non-S are standard on the S.

You get an LSD and you also get an additional radiator. Nobody has found out what it is for yet, but I suspect it is for the intercooling system. I think late 2012 M157s got an intercooler setup that separated the water cooling for the intercooler from the engine coolant. Early M157s shared the intercooler water with the regular coolant.

AMS is looking for bang for the buck. They less they spend on a development car, the quicker they make profit. If they could get a stripped down car with cloth seats that knocked 20K off the price, I suspect they would have as seat material has no bearing on go-fast products. That being said, if LSDs didn't matter, why does your GTR have them. Even the STi has 3 locking diffs.

If you are going to tune it, I wouldn't bother with the S. I wasn't planning on tuning for the first 4 years (warranty), so I opted for the S. I can say that in the snow, you can feel the LSD doing it's magic.
the cooling system for the M157 was revised for '13, the 12 has the old cooling system. what other differences are there between s and non s other then LSd, and alcantara steering wheel, red calipers etc?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Interior bits, such as silver seat belts and contrasting stitching on the leather. Trunk spoiler.

+25hp, +59 tqs

LSD

Speed limiter +31mph to 186

I think the base model does not get the glossy black bits on the front end, either.

S model is no longer defined as a "option" or an "option package." As such, resale between the 2014 base and S models should diverge.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
S model is most definitely worth it, i thought the same thing at first, after they released pricing there was a only a 7k difference, it is so worth it!

Titanium rims
red calipers
alcantara wheel
silver seat belts
red lines on guages
logo embossed in head rest
different front/rear bumper
lsd (2k option)
hp/tq increase
186mph

So i think its a no brainer to do it, some of these things would be hard to mod like the gauges head rest stuff like that! I think you would regret not getting it!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
The suspension on the PP package was different and tightened the vehicle dynamics. Some people who do no drive on perfect roads complained it was too stiff.
I would think the S package has it and this is an item you cant easily change.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 - E63
Originally Posted by emericr
The suspension on the PP package was different and tightened the vehicle dynamics. Some people who do no drive on perfect roads complained it was too stiff.
I would think the S package has it and this is an item you cant easily change.
Don't blame any for getting S - but I felt it was a useless money grab - the LSD is a legit option (if you want to track) but all other stuff is fluff - let's be honest most get it for the S on trunk lid - I actually like std cosmetics better with night styling - and once you get black wheels which look better than the grey "titanium" look wheels, you still have to pay the 500. Suspension tuning is exactly same - so once you chip it you spent 5-7k for a little useless "bling" - also residuals are exactly same so MB doesn't even think its worth more -
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Davisjrjr
Don't blame any for getting S - but I felt it was a useless money grab - the LSD is a legit option (if you want to track) but all other stuff is fluff - let's be honest most get it for the S on trunk lid - I actually like std cosmetics better with night styling - and once you get black wheels which look better than the grey "titanium" look wheels, you still have to pay the 500. Suspension tuning is exactly same - so once you chip it you spent 5-7k for a little useless "bling" - also residuals are exactly same so MB doesn't even think its worth more -

this.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
alcantara on wheel is worth it...hah
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
^yes haha that and the embossed head rest, everyone has their $.02 5-7k isnt that much differnce in payment, just a lot of bang for your buck for what you get. lets say you get a regular one, you wanna tune it that is 1,000-2000 lsd is like 2500, rims are extra like 1700 i think, alcantara wheel is 750???not sure, not to mention bumper upgrades. But in any event your getting a fast *** car! the regular E63 is like buying a previous PP E63, so both are insane
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
It about $4k worth of options. Then they charge you $3k for the HP upgrade.
Front struts are upgraded and ride is stiffer.
A simple tune cost less and gives you 670hp.
But to get Carbon ceramic brakes option, you must order S.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by Davisjrjr
Went with the non-S for the above reasons…

Titanium rims- I prefer the standard
red calipers- I prefer the standard
alcantara wheel- I prefer the standard (alcantara doesn't age well)
silver seat belts- really? I prefer the standard
red lines on guages- really?
logo embossed in head rest- I face forward when driving
different front/rear bumper- barely

but that's just me...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
I drove a non S and the car definitely is less sporty.
But for me, stiffer is always better.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
i havent driven one yet, havent seen one actually. But yes i enjoy the stiffer susp as well. But congrats on your order, rims are personal taste, i went titanium S model as i have a white car, and they contrast great together! But on a black car the normal rims may look better! What color did you order owly?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
AWD doesn't lock the power transfer from side to side, which is what the LSD does. Therefore you could have the front clawing but only 1 rear wheel putting down the power, thus affecting the handling.

Adding the LSD gives you the push of both rear wheels, with the added pull of the front.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
I wonder if the suspension is also stiffened up in the wagon, which is only brought into the U.S. as a S-Model now. Mine rides verrrrrrry comfortably on a long trip!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM

W212 E63
If you are shopping for brand new S or non-S, the difference is not $7k. It would be $20-25k. Dealers will sell non-S for a bragain now at least that is what Bay Area dealership was doing in Dec. I know OP is not shopping between the 2 but this is one main reason for a new buyer needs to consider.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

W212 E63
Also not sure if Ti rims are repairable. If you got small rock chips, it may cost a lot to get it repaird.
Same reason I don't want carbon ceramic option, I am planning to keep the car for a few years so I don't want to deal with $10k bill to replace the pads/rotors.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM

AMG
Also guys you are forgetting that S model gets additional cooling small radiator on the drivers side of the bumper. Very noticeable
Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
yes i saw that when i picked mine up very cool! Yes ceramics are overkill unless your tracking the car! My dad's bentley has them, although they guarantee them for life, so that is a big $$ saver, i havent heard anything like that from benz so i usually stay away from them.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM

'12 E63 Wagon
I have never heard of a pair of ceramic composite rotors wearing out form street use. Mercedes and Porsche regularly say they should last the life of the car. Pads last a long time, but perhaps not the entire life of the car.

I know a number of folks that track the **** out of cars with CC brakes. Most of them swap the rotors/pads out for big steel and wear the snot out of them instead while the CC stuff sits on a shelf.

If you street drive your car or occasionally track it, they are great.

If you truly track it most weekends, you need consumables all around. We have an RX-7 race car that we endurance race. It goes through rotors every two or three weekends. Race/track cars need consumables.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 AM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by nstanford99
What color did you order owly?
Iridium.

Don't know why but I always order the same colour with MB. It just works for me.

My brother always orders Palladium…

Hit 666kms today. I need to drive more!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 AM

2011 C63AMG P31
Originally Posted by dr. ss
So I know after a tune power wise there is no diff between a S and a non S model car. Outside of minor cosmetic things like the badges and the alcantara steering wheel , what is if any, other differences that I'm missing? Historically PP cars vs non PP cars have very similar resale...it's mostly other options that effect resale more like pano, wheels, safety items, stereo etc... I hear there is a LSD rear on the s model car, non s does not. How much does that matter since both cars are AWD? I asked AMS there thoughts, and they bought a non S as there shop development car, as they seem to think the LSD doesn't matter a whole lot since the car is awd, and felt paying for the s model was not worth it. Thoughts/discuss...
I have the Non S model and the dealer asked me if i want an LSD its was around $4K and said no

After the break in i installed Wavetrac LSD through Arsha from VividRacing and it was a big difference in every thing .

Note E63 LSD is same as C63 LSD i ordered one for E63 and one for C63 .