Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 AMG
iTuning M157 Plug and Play solution from Rebellion Automotive

Hi Guys

We are Rebellion Automotive from the UK across the pond.

We have recently been asked to join MBWorld as a sponsor and are pleased to now be here..

Some of you may know of us with our work on our tuning program for the A45 AMG and CLA45 AMG (if not google is your friend)

The 45AMG project was part of a much larger program of product development over the last 18months that would culminate in a new range of plug and play ECU solutions for Mercedes and other European highend vehicles.

The range of products is named iTuning and relates to our additional ECU and multichannel monitoring and processing system that can be installed and removed as required on your vehicle. The system retains all factory protections and monitoring within the OEM ECU but allows gains not dissimilar to remapping while maintaing reliability and driveability.

With that said, One of the key projects for us was to tackle the M157 engine and the issues that face many potential customers.....Do I want my ECU drilled or opened? If something goes wrong on the car how easy is it to return to stock? If I sell the vehicle I lose the cost of a remap..

The one thing we are not here to do is compete with the likes of EC or Wiestec when it comes to full on remapping of theses vehicles. We have very close links with both these guys here in the UK and if indeed a customer is prepared to go the whole hog on remapping then that is the route we would go...

What we are here to do is to offer and alternative solution for performance gains on these vehicles and although overall peak gains are less than a full remap, the gains we have seen on theses variants is respectable and very noticeable when driving..

The M157 system has been road tested, dyno tested and track tested at the infamous Goodwood motor circuit here in the UK...

We used a 2013 SL63 Bi-Turbo recently and the car produced a respectable 630bhp and 860Nm (634lbsft) on an independant dyno dynamics dyno.

Normal retail is £999 GBP ($1600 approx) + shipping

We will be interested in working with a couple of forum members here to get some cars running the kit in the states...

Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
That is something good to know! I was reluctant on doing a full on remapping since i lease the car. Something reversible and "plug n play" sounds ideal. I have a BSR tune on my Saab and it is fully reversible in less than a minute with a PPC plugged in the OBDII port. Is your system similar or is it a different approach?

I dont have the car yet (should arrive by mid summer) but would be very interested in your product.

Your gains are based on a 2013 M157. In 2014 MB increased the output from factory to 550 hp in "normal" cars (LOL normal with 550 hp!!) and 577 in the S-AMG lines. Do you predict proportionnally similar gains with a 2014 or is it going to be the same final output?

Last edited by kart125; 03-27-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kart125
That is something good to know! I was reluctant on doing a full on remapping since i lease the car. Something reversible and "plug n play" sounds ideal. I have a BSR tune on my Saab and it is fully reversible in less than a minute with a PPC plugged in the OBDII port. Is your system similar or is it a different approach?

I dont have the car yet (should arrive by mid summer) but would be very interested in your product.

Your gains are based on a 2013 M157. In 2014 MB increased the output from factory to 550 hp in "normal" cars (LOL normal with 550 hp!!) and 577 in the S-AMG lines. Do you predict proportionnally similar gains with a 2014 or is it going to be the same final output?
Hi Kart,

The system will work with all variants of the M157 engine, gains will be proportional to the starting output.. so final figures will vary variant dependant..

The S should see somewhere in the 660bhp area..

As with our 45AMG system the kit has an additional ECU that installs in the engine bay and connects to Map, boost, fuel and camshaft sensors using oem fittings. It takes about 30mins to install neatly.. The system also features a bypass plug that can be connected in place of the secondary ecu to return the car to stock performance..should you want to for valet etc..

DIY install is very possible however if someone isnt confident then any trusted auto garage should be able to install the kit easily..

The customer with the SL63 had his installed by me in the carpark at the dyno!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely something I will consider!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely something I will consider!
Cool let us know when you get the beast!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 AMG S Diamond White Saloon
I like the sounds of this setup also. Good numbers, installation seems straight forward, and it is adaptable.
+1 for the to-do list.
Scott
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
I've been flirting with the idea of a tune in my 14 wagon but was worried about reliability issues. This sounds pretty cool. I'd love to learn more....curious whether it would be ready to arrive in ct somewhat soon if I wanted to get installed when my summers go back on?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:57 AM

'12 E63 Wagon
This is a piggyback "translator", right? It fools the ECM into believing everything is stock, but in changes boost, fuel, cam timing, etc to match a map in the piggyback while explaining to the ECM "everything is normal!".
The following users liked this post:
gumsie (12-04-2021)
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
In principle yes so the car never logs any faults due to tuning. Where this changes from the normal type is this has the ability to change throughout the rev range so it's not just a +10% resistor across the board.

This is critical for ironing out flatspots and protecting limiters. Look at it as a second ecu with its own map that can adjust on the fly taking into consideration fuel, temperature etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by JHW24
I've been flirting with the idea of a tune in my 14 wagon but was worried about reliability issues. This sounds pretty cool. I'd love to learn more....curious whether it would be ready to arrive in ct somewhat soon if I wanted to get installed when my summers go back on?
Yes these are in stock and shipping worldwide as we speak.

Delivery is usually 5 working days.

Cheers
Matt
Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 AM

2014 E63P, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Matt@Rebellion
Yes these are in stock and shipping worldwide as we speak.

Delivery is usually 5 working days.

Cheers
Matt
I have a 2014 E63P and would be interested in picking up your tune. Being new to the forum, and also a new product, any chance of you putting together a group buy pricing for the forum members who are interested?

Regards!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Another quick question I have... is this product VIN specific or can it be swapped and installed on any M157 engine? Reason is after 3 year lease if I get another AMG will I be able to reuse the iTuning system?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Hi All,

As we have been getting a big demand for a group buy discount we are going to offer a great price to forum members without a minimum number of units being ordered.

Usually the iTuning Systems for the M157 BiTurbo Engine is 999GBP plus shipping,

For all orders made before the end of April 2014 we will discount 100GBP making the system £899 GBP plus shipping

To Order a System just send an email to matt@rebellionautomotive.co.uk and we can begin the process.

Delivery is usually 5 Working Days.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I don't mean to derail this thread, but why is this priced so high? Is it the small market or a Mercedes tax?

It is likely that this piggy back will work on both the M278 and the M157.

You can get a N63/S63 (BMW) piggyback for 1/3 the cost ($450 USD)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Hi I can't really comment on other company products and pricing but we feel our pricing is fair for the development, market and number of other factors involved in producing the iTuning products...
Old 03-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Very interested!

So an introductory cost of $1500 USD with a guarantee of no CELs or fried plugs? Do I need to remove this piggy-back system when I take it in for service? Also, do you offer a refund for dissatisfied customers?

Any 1/4 mile times slips of your test car before and after the tune?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 AM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by benyl
I don't mean to derail this thread, but why is this priced so high? Is it the small market or a Mercedes tax?

It is likely that this piggy back will work on both the M278 and the M157.

You can get a N63/S63 (BMW) piggyback for 1/3 the cost ($450 USD)
Good points…seems pricey to me. Especially for piggyback!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Appreciate all input from members regards pricing however as a UK based company pricing will always be effected by the exchange rate aswell as the product and this can artificially inflate the price...

We are not here to force the product down people's throats, it is simply an option for those that are interested in having this solution as opposed to remapping...
Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Very interested!

So an introductory cost of $1500 USD with a guarantee of no CELs or fried plugs? Do I need to remove this piggy-back system when I take it in for service? Also, do you offer a refund for dissatisfied customers?

Any 1/4 mile times slips of your test car before and after the tune?
Hey Rock,

We have no CEL issues so far on cars running the system here... The SL63 has done 1000's miles and a track day... As for plugs we are well aware there has been a plug issue on a number of stock and tuned cars in the past... We creation haven't had any issue.

We recommend running the kit on good fuel, however it is adjustable so can be turned down for lower quality fuel..

Regards removing for service.... We would probably recommend removing for any service or warranty related work (once system is unplugged it will leave zero traceability) if however you want to leave just the loom connected and hidden then there is a bypass plug that takes place of the secondary ECU and returns the car to stock.

Had one of our A45 AMG owners leave his system completely connected by mistake when his car went in for service and the tech didn't even notice
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Is the system VIN specific?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Is the system VIN specific?
Hi Kart,

No the system isn't VIN locked, so yes could be transferred to another M157 engine..

Obviously if their are significant changes to OEM software in future vehicles then you may at worst case just have to send the iTuning ECU back for program changes...but certainly in the current line up the system is compatible with current variants..
Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Matt@Rebellion
Hi Kart, No the system isn't VIN locked, so yes could be transferred to another M157 engine.. Obviously if their are significant changes to OEM software in future vehicles then you may at worst case just have to send the iTuning ECU back for program changes...but certainly in the current line up the system is compatible with current variants..
Thats another +!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl63r231 630bhp 840nm
The car mentioned above is mine and I have been really please with the results. I run 99 fuel and clock around 80miles a day and have run the box on the car for 1500 road miles and 200 track day miles. The car has instant urge and feels a whole lot more brutal than it did before and I have to be more carful as I dial in the throttle coming out of a bend. The SL used to slightly pause before it launched itself down the road but this trait has now gone and more than a slight press of the throttle sends it towards the horizon at a rate of knots that just wasn't there before. The torque is immense at 860nm and it will be interesting to see how it performs in the wet! I could have got more power from a renntech, eurocharged or wiestec map but didn't want risk warranty issues which may arise with these more invasive procedures that said 630 Bhp isn't to shabby! Really pleased with the results and happy to answer any questions or I have a number of threads under the same user name on mbclub.co.uk.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by acej
The car mentioned above is mine and I have been really please with the results. I run 99 fuel and clock around 80miles a day and have run the box on the car for 1500 road miles and 200 track day miles. The car has instant urge and feels a whole lot more brutal than it did before and I have to be more carful as I dial in the throttle coming out of a bend. The SL used to slightly pause before it launched itself down the road but this trait has now gone and more than a slight press of the throttle sends it towards the horizon at a rate of knots that just wasn't there before. The torque is immense at 860nm and it will be interesting to see how it performs in the wet! I could have got more power from a renntech, eurocharged or wiestec map but didn't want risk warranty issues which may arise with these more invasive procedures that said 630 Bhp isn't to shabby! Really pleased with the results and happy to answer any questions or I have a number of threads under the same user name on mbclub.co.uk.
Thanks AceJ!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E63 AMG
Quick photo of image of the kit as requested

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iTuning M157 Plug and Play solution from Rebellion Automotive