W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the B&O (Bang & Olufson) Sound System Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-CLASS,AUDI A6,BMW 3 SERIES
Hey everyone. I have an E class 2014 Facelift with HK speakers & I really admire the look of the B&O tweeters so I was looking forward to retrofit them. Can someone please tell me if the kind of upgrade is possible or not ?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by sdg1871
After reading some very mixed reviews of the $5400 B&O sound system for the E63 I am very much on the fence about it. I have read reviews claiming that the bass response is weak and muddy. And I have read other reviews from people who like it.

I live for strong bass. I like all kinds of music but bass heavy rap/hip hop is my fav. I would rather get the (to me) so so Harmon Kardon stock sound system and add a killer subwoofer and amp than blow $5400 on a sound system with just so so bass.

The upgraded HK in my current 2012 BMW 550xi is fantastic in terms of bass response and needs no further upgrade to B&O. But I find the bass in the E Class's HK (my mother has a 2014 E350 with P1 which includes the HK as did her now departed 2012 E350) to be subpar and find that the system has little presence compared to my 550's HK. To me, it sounds tinny and thin with very weak bass even when turned all the way up.

So can everyone who has the B&O in their E63 or who tried it and opted for the HK give me their opinion on the B&O? It is worth the mega cash? Also, if anyone went the route of the HK and then upgraded it aftermarket please weigh in as well.

Your thoughts please. Audiophiles let's hear it.
IMHO nope...just worth the wires so you can reuse them with a good system.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I have the B$O (not a typo... ). Sounds good but my car is plagged with so many rattles that it makes the experience ever so dissapointing. Will bring it in again in a couple of weeks for service B and will have them try to fix them. I narrowed the source of 3 of the 4 rattles that are annoying me... both lock pins on front doors rattle with bass, the passenger side door handle rattles with bass and exhaust vibrations and I have a 4th that I cant source (seems to come from rear passenger area). So if I had to do it again, knowing the build quality of the E, I would not pay 5400$ for the upgrade. I would just enjoy my rattles with the stock HK system!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by kart125
I have the B$O (not a typo... ). Sounds good but my car is plagged with so many rattles that it makes the experience ever so dissapointing. Will bring it in again in a couple of weeks for service B and will have them try to fix them. I narrowed the source of 3 of the 4 rattles that are annoying me... both lock pins on front doors rattle with bass, the passenger side door handle rattles with bass and exhaust vibrations and I have a 4th that I cant source (seems to come from rear passenger area). So if I had to do it again, knowing the build quality of the E, I would not pay 5400$ for the upgrade. I would just enjoy my rattles with the stock HK system!
Ha... I forgot about the rattles that the dealer claims to be normal! You make a GREAT point, a "luxury" car than rattles more than GT3RS...
Old 05-14-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Rear passenger rattle might be the rear sunshade assembly. Try moving it back and forth to see if that is the noise you hear.

Originally Posted by kart125
Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by Sunnybhatia18
Hey everyone. I have an E class 2014 Facelift with HK speakers & I really admire the look of the B&O tweeters so I was looking forward to retrofit them. Can someone please tell me if the kind of upgrade is possible or not ?
You could try PM'ing mike5215, he has done a lot of work on the sound system in his vehicles and has write ups on what/how he has done it.