W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidentally mixed coolant types...problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Accidentally mixed coolant types...problem?

Hi all,

In light of my low coolant post the other day, I bought Mercedes approved G 05 coolant from Amazon to top off my tank. It was premixed 50/50. I started pouring probably 8-12 ounces before an alarm went off in my head that this coolant was orange and the one in my tank was green. Then I did a double take at the jug and in the smallest print it says for DIESEL engines. I obviously immediately freaked out and googled this and from what I read it's not a huge issue as diesel coolant is intended to withstand hotter engine temps. So I then went off to my local Auto Zone to buy more of the correct coolant and they tell me I needed blue coolant. I'm so confused by all these different colors, which is the actual correct fluid? Do I have a major problem in anyone's experience having mixed the diesel coolant with the regular coolant? I obviously did not pour the blue in but now I'm just perplexed as to what the proper coolant is for our cars and if I need a flush.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Your fine. I just looked into this a few weeks ago. Needed to top up the coolant in my w211. It too uses the blue coolant with the 15 year life. It is fine to top up with G05. Even though the colors are different, the two coolants use the same basic anti-corrosion technology (hybrid organic acid) and word together just fine. Here's an article discussing the two: http://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/down...antifreeze.pdf
Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
Your fine. I just looked into this a few weeks ago. Needed to top up the coolant in my w211. It too uses the blue coolant with the 15 year life. It is fine to top up with G05. Even though the colors are different, the two coolants use the same basic anti-corrosion technology (hybrid organic acid) and word together just fine. Here's an article discussing the two: http://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/down...antifreeze.pdf
Thank you for the reassurance!