Sponsored by:

AMS Downpipes Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
AMS Downpipes Installed

Had the AMS catted downpipes installed today, while keeping the stock exhaust and the results are amazing so far. The car now has a more aggressive rumble at idle and the growl is more pronounced when I roll on the throttle. There is no drowning while cruising on the highway when the engine is under 2000 rpm. Throttle response is vastly improved and the slight delay on take off upon throttle tip-in is mostly gone. Torque delivery fells slightly stronger between 2000-3500 rpm. The exhaust note is pretty much perfect for my taste and I am not sure that I will ever need the AMS exhaust. At least not for a while anyways.

My car has already been custom dyno tuned by AMS and I have an appointment setup in a few weeks to fine tune the car on the dyno to account for these downpipes and the Weistec air filters that were recently installed. Will report back on those results.

Once again we have another great product from AMS. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Nice man. Looks and from your description is allot like the Renntech catted downpipes. My wife use to be able to hear my down the street on stock setup, then she could hear me rubble 2 blocks away. Love the sound.

BTW. From the looks of your undercarriage and the frost on both sides makes me think you guys really get some cold weather there.

Originally Posted by joseyu
Had the AMS catted downpipes installed today, while keeping the stock exhaust and the results are amazing so far. The car now has a more aggressive rumble at idle and the growl is more pronounced when I roll on the throttle. There is no drowning while cruising on the highway when the engine is under 2000 rpm. Throttle response is vastly improved and the slight delay on take off upon throttle tip-in is mostly gone. Torque delivery fells slightly stronger between 2000-3500 rpm. The exhaust note is pretty much perfect for my taste and I am not sure that I will ever need the AMS exhaust. At least not for a while anyways.

My car has already been custom dyno tuned by AMS and I have an appointment setup in a few weeks to fine tune the car on the dyno to account for these downpipes and the Weistec air filters that were recently installed. Will report back on those results.

Once again we have another great product from AMS. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:21 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
No complaints from the wife yet since she was out shopping when I got the car home today, although I don't think it is that loud. Yes, it has been cold in Chicago for the past week or so. The white stuff is actually road salt and I believe it adds character. LOL...

Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
Nice man. Looks and from your description is allot like the Renntech catted downpipes. My wife use to be able to hear my down the street on stock setup, then she could hear me rubble 2 blocks away. Love the sound.

BTW. From the looks of your undercarriage and the frost on both sides makes me think you guys really get some cold weather there.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
All I can say is your wife will hear the difference in the morning, especially on cold startups. Have fun with her.

No complaints from the wife yet since she was out shopping when I got the car home today, although I don't think it is that loud. Yes, it has been cold in Chicago for the past week or so. The white stuff is actually road salt and I believe it adds character. LOL...
Old 01-20-2016, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Looks good. I Like the weistec tranny oil pan too! Need to get me one of those!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Got the oil pan while I was going the valve body and tcu upgrade. Figured I would change it while they have it down. Build quality of the piece looked pretty good.

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Looks good. I Like the weistec tranny oil pan too! Need to get me one of those!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Yep, same idea I have. Once the roads are alittle better up here in canadia in the srping I'll get the car out to my country shop and pull the VB to send to wiestec and back it up with the pan.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:15 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Just a FYI. Make sure who ever is in charge of packing and shipping the VB to be really careful. Make sure the VB is packed with 3-4 times the necessary bubble wrap. You should also insure the package for the full replacement amount. If you don't feel comfortable with the packaging, ask Weistec to send you their VB shipping box. A small plastic clip was damaged in transit on mine and that delayed the process by a few days.

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Yep, same idea I have. Once the roads are alittle better up here in canadia in the srping I'll get the car out to my country shop and pull the VB to send to wiestec and back it up with the pan.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16' E63s Diamond White
Do the downpipes smell? Catless pipes stink, how are the catted
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Smells no different than stock. No CEL either.

Originally Posted by rs4 tony
Do the downpipes smell? Catless pipes stink, how are the catted
Old 01-20-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16' E63s Diamond White
Smells no different than stock. No CEL either.
Very nice. Try getting some sound clips
Old 01-20-2016, 05:29 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Once it warms up, I will borrow a Go Pro from my friend and hook it to the back.

Originally Posted by rs4 tony
Very nice. Try getting some sound clips
Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers this beast will put down.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Last dyno tune produced 597 AWHP and 733 AWTQ. Hoping the HP number would go up, but I am guessing that the TQ number would be about the same or just a tad higher.

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers this beast will put down.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
I got some good news. The downpipes were certified by my wife to not be too loud. She couldn't notice the difference in sound below 2000 rpm and said it had more rumble when I got on the throttle, especially when accelerating from 40 to 80 mph on the highway. She really hated the PSE in my Boxster S, especially after I changed out the headers, to the point where she avoided riding in the car. She doesn't mind the E63 at all even after the downpipes.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Wife certified is always good or they can get louder than the exhaust. Lol. Have fun with her.

I got some good news. The downpipes were certified by my wife to not be too loud. She couldn't notice the difference in sound below 2000 rpm and said it had more rumble when I got on the throttle, especially when accelerating from 40 to 80 mph on the highway. She really hated the PSE in my Boxster S, especially after I changed out the headers, to the point where she avoided riding in the car. She doesn't mind the E63 at all even after the downpipes.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 S
If you don't mind me asking, was it bolt ons or there had to be some welding done? I just got the same downpipes and going to install tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
It was just bolt ons, no welding involved.

Originally Posted by Hamads95
If you don't mind me asking, was it bolt ons or there had to be some welding done? I just got the same downpipes and going to install tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
Wife certified
wife certification > CARB certification.

as far as the the salt.. man, Chicago salts the roads like no other in the country because in '79, there was a blizzard, and the then-mayor's slow response is said to have cost him the re-election. True story

Never buy a car driven in snow from Chicago.