Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramic rotors dead at 18K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63S
Carbon Ceramic rotors dead at 18K miles

I have a 2015 E63S that has 18000 miles. It has been tracked about 10 times. The dealer says I need all four carbon ceramic rotors replaced for 14K. The pads have been serviced on the regular as needed since I am conscious of the fact that I am using this vehicle for its intended purpose. There is zero cracking either near the rotor hat or outer friction surface. There is zero cracking around the cross drills & the black wear mark looks almost new on the outer edge. The dealer has told me if I don't change them they may explode on the track. I am fully aware of how CC rotors are checked for weight, the dealer said they only have 5 to 10 grams left. They did not share the thickness with me, which is peculiar. Any thoughts? I think I am getting crappy information from a dealer that isn't familiar with this not so common option.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
never had CC brakes but from what i have read, they should last a lot longer than steel rotors (like 100K miles life expectancy) as long as you are changing the pads when they've reached about 50% of their life.

where you not changing your pads after heavy track use?

18K seems way short of what CC rotors should last
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
That don't sound right especially if your servicing your brakes regularly. All though my 2015 S65 with CCB only has 3,800 miles on them, the pads have 95% pad life on them according to my dealer and they were suppose to be built for track use and last at lease 75,000 miles also according my dealer.

I would have another MB dealer take a look at it.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by MBGLA45
I have a 2015 E63S that has 18000 miles. It has been tracked about 10 times. The dealer says I need all four carbon ceramic rotors replaced for 14K. The pads have been serviced on the regular as needed since I am conscious of the fact that I am using this vehicle for its intended purpose. There is zero cracking either near the rotor hat or outer friction surface. There is zero cracking around the cross drills & the black wear mark looks almost new on the outer edge. The dealer has told me if I don't change them they may explode on the track. I am fully aware of how CC rotors are checked for weight, the dealer said they only have 5 to 10 grams left. They did not share the thickness with me, which is peculiar. Any thoughts? I think I am getting crappy information from a dealer that isn't familiar with this not so common option.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 AMG S Diamond White Saloon
if that is true that the CCB rotors need replacement, then their cost is very difficult to justify.
As David said, I would get another MB dealer to look at it, and then progress to MBUSA.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
I'm shocked that the CCBs only lasted that long (especially because I have them on order), but CCBs only last an extremely long time at cold and moderate temps because they will pretty much never wear out.

They don't wear down like a normal rotor, which is why the dealer doesn't measure thickness. They will stay the same thickness, but high temperature from track use will cause them slowly break down internally and essentially evaporate causing the density to reduce while the dimensions remain the same. The more exposure to very high temps, the faster they will deteriorate. However, I didn't think it would be as fast as you're experiencing. The fact that the E63 is such a fat pig means that we get higher rotor temps lap after lap than a 911 or Cayman with CCBs.

Please keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63S
Originally Posted by CliffJumper
I'm shocked that the CCBs only lasted that long (especially because I have them on order), but CCBs only last an extremely long time at cold and moderate temps because they will pretty much never wear out.

They don't wear down like a normal rotor, which is why the dealer doesn't measure thickness. They will stay the same thickness, but high temperature from track use will cause them slowly break down internally and essentially evaporate causing the density to reduce while the dimensions remain the same. The more exposure to very high temps, the faster they will deteriorate. However, I didn't think it would be as fast as you're experiencing. The fact that the E63 is such a fat pig means that we get higher rotor temps lap after lap than a 911 or Cayman with CCBs.

Please keep us posted.
Thanks for the educated response. I also have a Corvette ZR1 with hundreds of miles of track time without the slightest visual wear or weight reduction. Of course that car while being more powerful is also 1200 pounds lighter. On a side note do you know why the CC rotors on Ferraris, Corvettes, Lamborghini & Audi look so very different than the MB. Meaning the CC MB rotors looks more like polished metal rather than the composite CC like all others. Perhaps because there not made by Brembo?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
Originally Posted by MBGLA45
Thanks for the educated response. I also have a Corvette ZR1 with hundreds of miles of track time without the slightest visual wear or weight reduction. Of course that car while being more powerful is also 1200 pounds lighter. On a side note do you know why the CC rotors on Ferraris, Corvettes, Lamborghini & Audi look so very different than the MB. Meaning the CC MB rotors looks more like polished metal rather than the composite CC like all others. Perhaps because there not made by Brembo?
I haven't noticed them looking more like polished metal. Who makes the rotors, if not Brembo? I looked around, and the only link I could find regarding a potential manufacturer is Brembo saying that they make rotors for "AMG", but doesn't specify individual cars: http://www.brembo.com/en/car/original-equipment/products/carbon-ceramic-discs
Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
It still surprises me why people think that a mass produced street car weighing 4500 pounds will hold up to numerous trips to a race track. You are giving these cars way to much credit. They are street cars guys not race cars.

Also have you guys been paying attention to all the problems with these new cars. I believe that overall craftsmanship, quality of materials used and quality control has suffered greatly over the past several years.

Greed and ego runs these company's. It's what has brought VW to their knees.

Hope it works out for you.

Bill
Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63S, RRS SVR
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
That don't sound right.
+1
Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 345 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
+2..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
I agree to some extend. Our cars are mass production car just as most track cars. Tuners like AMS and Renntech take their AMG tunes to the track with or without CCB and track it maybe 50 times per car before they get the tune dialed in without major problems.

Needing new CCB rotors after a couple of track use and 14,000 miles just doesn't add up. CCB are
meant to be abused, but as a daily driver. I would hardly consider it abused to the point it would need replacement after 14,000 miles. I spoke to my service director and he said if he got that car, he would replace the rotors under warranty, no questions ask.

Has quality declined. Of course it has. Everyone wants something great, but want to pay less for it. As a manufacturer, what do you do. Lower your quality standards to meet the price point, period.

Originally Posted by Td33
It still surprises me why people think that a mass produced street car weighing 4500 pounds will hold up to numerous trips to a race track. You are giving these cars way to much credit. They are street cars guys not race cars.

Also have you guys been paying attention to all the problems with these new cars. I believe that overall craftsmanship, quality of materials used and quality control has suffered greatly over the past several years.

Bill
Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
I agree to some extend. Our cars are mass production car just as most track cars. Tuners like AMS and Renntech take their AMG tunes to the track with or without CCB and track it maybe 50 times per car before they get the tune dialed in without major problems.

Needing new CCB rotors after a couple of track use and 14,000 miles just doesn't add up. CCB are
meant to be abused, but as a daily driver. I would hardly consider it abused to the point it would need replacement after 14,000 miles. I spoke to my service director and he said if he got that car, he would replace the rotors under warranty, no questions ask.

Has quality declined. Of course it has. Everyone wants something great, but want to pay less for it. As a manufacturer, what do you do. Lower your quality standards to meet the price point, period.
Not trying to disagree, but a 2015 with 18k miles and about ten trips to the track, is more than a couple in my world.

18k miles is a lot of miles for a 15my IMO. We don't know how this car has been driven on or off the track. If the car was driven hard for 18k miles and tracked hard about ten times I can clearly see the brakes having an issues.

The simple fact is that there is a major wear issue with the breaks. So one of two things has happened: the car has been driven very hard over its life or the materials used to make the brakes is subpar.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bill
problem with all that logic is that mercedes doesnt make the CCB (thus not mass produced either), they are made by brembo for Porsche , ferrari, lambo and other high end performance brands including AMG

not to mention these street cars should get longer life out of CCB since they are not tracked daily like the race cars you are comparing them to

plus the porsche guys (CCB rotors from same company that makes them for AMG) are getting wayyyyyy more miles out of their CCB and they are way more hardcore track guys than the typical AMG guy.... CCB are supposed to last ~100K miles with occasional track use... but i know guys that track their porsche's every weekend and have over 50K on their CCB's with no problem

Last edited by gaspam; 02-19-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:57 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by gaspam
problem with all that logic is that mercedes doesnt make the CCB (thus not mass produced either), they are made by brembo for Porsche , ferrari, lambo and other high end performance brands including AMG

not to mention these street cars should get longer life out of CCB since they are not tracked daily like the race cars you are comparing them to

plus the porsche guys (CCB rotors from same company that makes them for AMG) are getting wayyyyyy more miles out of their CCB and they are way more hardcore track guys than the typical AMG guy.... CCB are supposed to last ~100K miles with occasional track use... but i know guys that track their porsche's every weekend and have over 50K on their CCB's with no problem

Beating a dead horse here.

At the end of the day if you drive a four door sedan weighing about 4500 pounds hard for 18k miles I don't care who makes the brakes your going to have wear problems.

Anyone who takes a 15my e63 to the track about ten times clearly enjoys hard driving. I doubt this joy stops after leaving the track.

I've driven many brand new cars and trucks every car brand hard on the street for my job and our brakes lasted only a few thousand miles before we needed new pads.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Beating a dead horse here.

At the end of the day if you drive a four door sedan weighing about 4500 pounds hard for 18k miles I don't care who makes the brakes your going to have wear problems.

Anyone who takes a 15my e63 to the track about ten times clearly enjoys hard driving. I doubt this joy stops after leaving the track.

I've driven many brand new cars and trucks every car brand hard on the street for my job and our brakes lasted only a few thousand miles before we needed new pads.
i guess you dont understand how CCB material works versus the steel rotors your comparing them to.. they dont wear in correlation to weight they are trying to stop like steel ones do. Steel brake wear is proportional to the kinetic energy that the brakes absorb. The vehicle weight and the degree of braking applications directly reduce the life of steel brakes. Small, light applications with ample time to cool between applications will increase their useful life. Carbon fiber brake wear, on the other hand, correlates to the total number of brake applications not severity of the stop. One hard application will cause less wear than several smaller applications, and carbon is less privy to weight and speed than steel. It is, in fact, cold stops, rather than heat, that directly leads to more wear in carbon-carbon brakes... so, the fact that the OP's car is heavy is irrelevant in regards to rotor wear with CCB's (if he had steel brakes it would be relevant)...regardless of what you say, empirical data says CCB last around 60 times longer than standard disc....

so if the op's CCB's really are done at 18K then he would of been tracking his car so hard, that if he had standard disc they would of only last 300 miles...... hard to believe the OP was racing that hard
Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM

Ml63
i guess you dont understand how CCB material works versus the steel rotors your comparing them to.. they dont wear in correlation to weight they are trying to stop like steel ones do. Steel brake wear is proportional to the kinetic energy that the brakes absorb. The vehicle weight and the degree of braking applications directly reduce the life of steel brakes. Small, light applications with ample time to cool between applications will increase their useful life. Carbon fiber brake wear, on the other hand, correlates to the total number of brake applications not severity of the stop. One hard application will cause less wear than several smaller applications, and carbon is less privy to weight and speed than steel. It is, in fact, cold stops, rather than heat, that directly leads to more wear in carbon-carbon brakes... so, the fact that the OP's car is heavy is irrelevant in regards to rotor wear with CCB's (if he had steel brakes it would be relevant)...regardless of what you say, empirical data says CCB last around 60 times longer than standard disc....

so if the op's CCB's really are done at 18K then he would of been tracking his car so hard, that if he had standard disc they would of only last 300 miles...... hard to believe the OP was racing that hard
I have the Ccb on my e63s. Do I know the exact specifics of the material and how it breaks down/wears no.

Do you know how this car has been driven? If the answer is no than your in no position to fully understand what caused this.

The simple fact is, if the op is being truthful, this is what happened end of story.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the Ccb on my e63s. Do I know the exact specifics of the material and how it breaks down/wears no.

Do you know how this car has been driven? If the answer is no than your in no position to fully understand what caused this.

The simple fact is, if the op is being truthful, this is what happened end of story.

lol or could be, as OP is worried about, is getting bent over by the dealer when in reality no change is needed and the dealer wants money

and we do know how the op drove them... 10 track days he said.... other than that, you arent getting much extra on the street... again its not the force of the braking on the CCB's that affect life like steel ones.... so the only "extra use" the OP's CCB's saw were however many applications of the brake pedal during those 10 track days....I am sure they did not add up to the amount of times he would of touched the brake pedal in 82K miles of driving (100K expected miles - 18K miles he got)..... now, if in those 10 track days he touched his applied his brakes as many times as he would in 82k miles of city street traffic, then it would be logical that he is only getting 18K out of his CCB's.... BUT i highly doubt he got that many brake attempts on regular Joe Shmo track days... maybe his 10 track days were each 72 hr endo baja races?

given the real data that is know about CCB wear, i would say the dealer wanting extra money is the more likely scenario

Last edited by gaspam; 02-19-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Ml63
lol or could be, as OP is worried about, is getting bent over by the dealer when in reality no change is needed and the dealer wants money

and we do know how the op drove them... 10 track days he said.... other than that, you arent getting much extra on the street... again its not the force of the braking on the CCB's that affect life like steel ones.... so the only "extra use" the OP's CCB's saw where however many applications of the brake pedal during those 10 track days....I am sure they did not add up to the amount of times he would of touched the brake pedal in 82K miles of driving (100K expected miles - 18K miles he got)..... now, if in those 10 track days he touched his applied his brakes as many times as he would in city street traffic, then it would be logical that he is only getting 18K out of his CCB's.... BUT i highly doubt he got that many brake attempts on regular Joe Shmo track days... maybe his 10 track days were each 72 hr endo baja races?

given the real data that is know about CCB wear, i would say the dealer wanting extra money is the more likely scenario
You could be completely right and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I love mine and they show no sign of wear, but I do only have 3k miles on the car and I have never tracked the car.

Next month my 2017 911 turbo s cab arrives and will have the ccb. Now I may hit the track with this beast.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
RacingBrake can resurface carbon rotors for only $500-600 per set. It is a new chemical and physical resurfacing procedure but it makes then like new again for a whole new life.

You can resurface CCB 2-3 times depending on how much they wear down over their life. Now that RacingBrake has this procedure it TOTALLY changes the economics of carbon ceramics. I will only run CCB from now on, even for the track.

Hope that helps
Old 02-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Never heard really about servicing ccb. what are intervals? I got 9k miles and I have hear clicking noise when turning wheel to the left.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

I don't believe there are a specific CCB service nor intervals. I just have my service department check them when I bring it in for service. If your hearing noises from your brakes.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by dav461
Never heard really about servicing ccb. what are intervals? I got 9k miles and I have hear clicking noise when turning wheel to the left.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Another reason why I'm glad this was the only option box not checked on my 2015.

A crazy cost, I thought it resulted in near-lifelong brake durability, but that doesn't seem to be the case.