W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes Benz E 63 S AMG Wagon
Confused

So i'm posting this on the benz forum and I expect bias but i thought i'd ask anyways.

My 2016 E63 S Wagon is supposed to arrive April 4th now after almost a month of delays. Mercedes hasn't done anything to help out with the delay even though I sold my other car based on their expected delivery date. I'm pretty miffed and now I was contacted by my Range Rover Dealer (I just previously drove a Range Rover and so I was on their call list).

They have a Range Rover Sport SVR available and it comes to the same price as the E wagon. I test drove it and it is pretty wicked and that exhaust note is absolutely insane.

My questions is what would you pick? I guess being angry at my dealer is pushing me away from the Merc, so I thought i'd ask the board.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
SVR 100%. Don't even think a minute.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63S Steel Grey/Beige Nappa, Lexus GX470, Honda Accord
Although it seems like you haven't had the best dealer experience, you're now only about two weeks away from delivery. I wouldn't change now, especially since you've already waited this long. And I certainly wouldn't switch to a RR.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Never driving in a RR, but I really think you answer your own question.

1: You came off a RR.
2: You decided to jump ship to a E63.

Waiting for a dream car comes with a price. My trend of thought, how do one compare a RR to a Mercedes and not just a Mercedex, an AMG.

Originally Posted by hotrodwagon
So i'm posting this on the benz forum and I expect bias but i thought i'd ask anyways.

My 2016 E63 S Wagon is supposed to arrive April 4th now after almost a month of delays. Mercedes hasn't done anything to help out with the delay even though I sold my other car based on their expected delivery date. I'm pretty miffed and now I was contacted by my Range Rover Dealer (I just previously drove a Range Rover and so I was on their call list).

They have a Range Rover Sport SVR available and it comes to the same price as the E wagon. I test drove it and it is pretty wicked and that exhaust note is absolutely insane.

My questions is what would you pick? I guess being angry at my dealer is pushing me away from the Merc, so I thought i'd ask the board.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
Never driving in a RR, but I really think you answer your own question.

1: You came off a RR.
2: You decided to jump ship to a E63.

Waiting for a dream car comes with a price. My trend of thought, how do one compare a RR to a Mercedes and not just a Mercedex, an AMG.
I think the mix of being pissed at the dealer and the deadly exhaust note has made me compare the RR to an AMG. If it wasn't an SVR i would never think of it.

The more I think about it tonight though, i'm leaning back towards the AMG. It's a full second faster to 60 with mind boggling torque. Also I ordered a custom designo interior and the SVR has a 2 tone black/cirrus interior which I dont' love.

More opinions are welcomed though!

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
It's been a couple of years since I've tried a Range Rover, and it wasn't the SVR, but my recollection is the RR drives very much like a truck (albeit a very nice one!), versus the E63 which handles more like a car. I've driven both an E63 wagon (2WD) and now have the E63 S sedan and the wagon compared admirably to the sedan.

Could be the RR SVR version is much tighter than the experience I recall, but I ended up not going the RR route in any case. I currently have a number of Mercedes and overall am pretty happy with them. Can't say the e63 is my favourite, but still a very nice car and if for some reason I had to reduce the number of vehicles I have, this would likely be the keeper.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
The E63 is absolutely wicked, exhaust note especially. Unless you are coming off an actual rocket it will make you smile every time you sink the pedal. Of course the SVR is nice too, but 2 weeks is nothing to get exactly what you want.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mcguirja
It's been a couple of years since I've tried a Range Rover, and it wasn't the SVR, but my recollection is the RR drives very much like a truck (albeit a very nice one!), versus the E63 which handles more like a car. I've driven both an E63 wagon (2WD) and now have the E63 S sedan and the wagon compared admirably to the sedan.

Could be the RR SVR version is much tighter than the experience I recall, but I ended up not going the RR route in any case. I currently have a number of Mercedes and overall am pretty happy with them. Can't say the e63 is my favourite, but still a very nice car and if for some reason I had to reduce the number of vehicles I have, this would likely be the keeper.
Valid point about the handling. I didn't get to push it too much as it was snowing today and the SVR had high performance summers on it so i didn't want to risk anything, but from what i could tell it did sit pretty high up and drove more like a truck even though it is their sportiest model.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ACC2
The E63 is absolutely wicked, exhaust note especially. Unless you are coming off an actual rocket it will make you smile every time you sink the pedal. Of course the SVR is nice too, but 2 weeks is nothing to get exactly what you want.
Maybe the videos i've seen don't do justice to the AMG exhaust note. I'll have to wait for in person as when i test drove the AMG the sales person was too nervous and wouldn't let me push it at all.

Yeah it's been a 5 month wait so I guess another 2 weeks is nothing. It's just how customer unfriendly the dealer has been when i'm spending a big chunk of change. I realize they deal with high rollers all the time who spend a lot more than what I will be spending, but I expected better treatment.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I hear you on the dealer experience. I like where I've purchased several of mine from, but they are too far away for regular servicing. I've pretty much given up on the dealers in my general area and take it a local indy who treats my cars like their his own. Best dealer experience I've had was in Lakeland Florida, where the treatment was what I expected a Mercedes experience to be like. I've tried 5 different dealerships in the greater Toronto area and have been underwhelmed.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mcguirja
I hear you on the dealer experience. I like where I've purchased several of mine from, but they are too far away for regular servicing. I've pretty much given up on the dealers in my general area and take it a local indy who treats my cars like their his own. Best dealer experience I've had was in Lakeland Florida, where the treatment was what I expected a Mercedes experience to be like. I've tried 5 different dealerships in the greater Toronto area and have been underwhelmed.
Yeah i'm in Edmonton and we have 2 dealers here. The first one got bought out last year and has been generally bad for the past five years. The one i bought from just got bought out a couple months ago. They've always had a decent reputation but maybe new ownership and management will change that.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
If you think about it. I have a GL63. If we need to compare a RR against an AMG, at lease compare it to a AMG SUV. If you look at the performance numbers between a E63 S vs any SUV. You will not find numbers close to compare.

I think the mix of being pissed at the dealer and the deadly exhaust note has made me compare the RR to an AMG. If it wasn't an SVR i would never think of it.

The more I think about it tonight though, i'm leaning back towards the AMG. It's a full second faster to 60 with mind boggling torque. Also I ordered a custom designo interior and the SVR has a 2 tone black/cirrus interior which I dont' love.

More opinions are welcomed though!

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 sl55
Yeah i'm in Edmonton and we have 2 dealers here. The first one got bought out last year and has been generally bad for the past five years. The one i bought from just got bought out a couple months ago. They've always had a decent reputation but maybe new ownership and management will change that.
Heritage Valley is just awful. They don't know their heads from their asses.

If you want to see what a mildly modified e63 s-amg can do let me know. I've got downpipes and a rebellion automotive piggyback ( +60 whp )
Old 03-22-2016, 04:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Svr is an impressive machine no doubt but that higher center of gravity is not as confidence inspiring as the Benz

Try and find a Benz e63 on a lot to drive and then go drive that svr again....
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 estate
Why not both? SVR is incredible machine as well as the E63 wagon. Owning both vehicles I can say that the SVR gearbox is far superior and exhaust much louder. It's the only automatic gearbox i enjoy shifting manually. Everyone knows the AMG gearbox is laggy at times. But of course the E63 is much faster, handles better and works quite well in S+. The wagon will hold much more luggage and it's the vehicle I choose when i need to pick up large items or carry my labs. I use the SVR for towing. SVR maybe slower but it really is a blast to drive as it has torque everywhere and will spin all four off the line.

Just went skiing with the family and you can not fit 4 large suitcases in the SVR, but you can in a E63 Wagon.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by herpderp
Heritage Valley is just awful. They don't know their heads from their asses.

If you want to see what a mildly modified e63 s-amg can do let me know. I've got downpipes and a rebellion automotive piggyback ( +60 whp )
That would be awesome. I'll pm you.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RomeStarrS4rs
Why not both? SVR is incredible machine as well as the E63 wagon. Owning both vehicles I can say that the SVR gearbox is far superior and exhaust much louder. It's the only automatic gearbox i enjoy shifting manually. Everyone knows the AMG gearbox is laggy at times. But of course the E63 is much faster, handles better and works quite well in S+. The wagon will hold much more luggage and it's the vehicle I choose when i need to pick up large items or carry my labs. I use the SVR for towing. SVR maybe slower but it really is a blast to drive as it has torque everywhere and will spin all four off the line.

Just went skiing with the family and you can not fit 4 large suitcases in the SVR, but you can in a E63 Wagon.
I don't have much of a need for towing so maybe the wagon would be best? I'll be using the roof rails and that's about it.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I've waited 18 months for my wagon and absolutely love it. 2 weeks is nothing! I agree that MB are not the best at giving info on delivery date. Their tracking system sucks! I actually told my sales manager that my car was in Halifax (I was following the boat on the web...) and the system was showing it still at port in Germany!

If exhaust note is not enough you can add a Renntech sport muffler for about 2.5k and it changes the personality of the car.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Wagon will smoke the RR
Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries
Wagon will smoke the RR

Yup! and almost anything else on the road also...

BTW I love your stable Clk! that Viper is awesome!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Thanks its a beast will have it out on track in 2 weeks
Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Glad it's resolved ... If it gets worse take it back in

The best or nothing