Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes Benz E 63 S AMG Wagon
Aftermarket Wheels

So after an *interesting* thread earlier I have some questions about aftermarket wheels.

Firstly, are they worth looking into? Obviously ensuring proper fitment is critical but from the response in the earlier thread, a few people had suggested not to get aftermarket wheels. Or atleast that one particular brand. Leading to my next question.

What brands do you prefer if you are using aftermarket wheels? Are there certain brands to stay away from?

Lastly, if the answer is to stay away from aftermarket wheels, why are they allowed to advertise on these forums?

PS. I just out ran an aventador (while wearing flip flops).
Forgot to mention it was parked.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Do your research and make sure you get the correct sizes and offsets. Most reputable shops and manufacturers should be able to help you.

There's nothing wrong with aftermarket wheels. If you want to get wheels that are better than your OEM wheels, I would suggest something that is forged and not cast. You want something that not only looks good, but stronger and lighter than your stock wheels. Cast may be cheap, but they are not stronger or lighter.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I agree with NLPamg. There are lots of good aftermarket wheels. With today's technology forged wheels are both strong and light. Although not always applied consistently there are standards like jwl or TUV which indicates wheels have been tested and met an established standard. With that said fitment is critical and with the number of options available you should be able to find a set that fit your vehicle that are both hubcentric and have proper offsets.

FWIW when you start getting into cars with as much power as ours spacers tend to be frowned on.

I've attached a link below which describes adv1's testing process.

http://adv1wheels.com/technical/testdata.php

Last edited by mcguirja; 04-07-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 PM

Okay so forged wheels are what to look at if we want a high quality durable product for our vehicles. Although all aftermarket wheels are buyer beware including forged wheels, it is more of a risk to look at cast wheels because they aren't as strong.

I agree fitment shouldn't be an issue with all the options available. I've dealt with spacers in the past and they're a pain to use anyways.

For the lugs I have heard some people say that we should try to find wheels where we can use the original lugs as well. Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
The right size lugs for the wheel is most important versus having the same as OEM. Having the same as OEM are convenient but not necessary. I haven't been lucky enough to find aftermarket wheels with the same lugs as oem so when I switch between winter and summer need to make sure I match the lugs with them. With winters on (my aftermarket), you also should keep one set of OEM lugs in the vehicle for your spare as well. A bit of a pain but that's all.

With the number of types of wheels available you could research for a long time, and depending on your budget the range of options also increases substantially.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
If I need wheels I'll probably go with something like this wheel, I kinda like Chrome. http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...cman1995arrowc

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-07-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I hope I don't have to worry about replacing the factory wheels but I had all four factory wheels unbent around a year ago and who knows how long it is before I get a vibration or something and find I need to replace them.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by hotrodwagon
So after an *interesting* thread earlier I have some questions about aftermarket wheels.

Firstly, are they worth looking into? Obviously ensuring proper fitment is critical but from the response in the earlier thread, a few people had suggested not to get aftermarket wheels. Or atleast that one particular brand. Leading to my next question.

What brands do you prefer if you are using aftermarket wheels? Are there certain brands to stay away from?

Lastly, if the answer is to stay away from aftermarket wheels, why are they allowed to advertise on these forums?
HRE has been manufacturing wheels for well over 35 years - they have pretty much perfected the process. Not only do HRE's custom forged wheels look miles better than OEM offerings but they are also stronger and lighter on most occasions. In addition, all HRE wheels can be cut to OEM lug seats. As I said, these are completely custom with every single advantage box checked off. Give me a shout if you have any questions, would love to be able to answer them all for ya.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Widebody V8
Originally Posted by thewb

HRE has been manufacturing wheels for well over 35 years - they have pretty much perfected the process. Not only do HRE's custom forged wheels look miles better than OEM offerings but they are also stronger and lighter on most occasions. In addition, all HRE wheels can be cut to OEM lug seats. As I said, these are completely custom with every single advantage box checked off. Give me a shout if you have any questions, would love to be able to answer them all for ya.

Of course I'm always here if anyone else needs help as well, but Wheels Boutique is the place to go!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks i'll send you a pm.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
+1 for HRE. My winter setup. HRE FF01.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:05 PM
SPONSOR

www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by Lenin

Loving it! What's the summer setup look like?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon

Loving it! What's the summer setup look like?
My summer setup is OEM. I considered using HRE in the summer and OEM in the winter but after having to replace 2 cracked OEM rims already and another one is somewhat bent and needs to be replaced too, I put a hold on that idea. Since I have full Warranty Plus on the OEM rims and living in the north east as opposed to sunny Miami, I'll use the OEM wheels that are under warranty for 8 months of the year. But I may change my mind next winter.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by hotrodwagon
Okay so forged wheels are what to look at if we want a high quality durable product for our vehicles. Although all aftermarket wheels are buyer beware including forged wheels, it is more of a risk to look at cast wheels because they aren't as strong.

I agree fitment shouldn't be an issue with all the options available. I've dealt with spacers in the past and they're a pain to use anyways.

For the lugs I have heard some people say that we should try to find wheels where we can use the original lugs as well. Thoughts?
You do not need forged rims. You can also look at FlowForged, FlowForm, SpunForged, RotaryForged... These are excellent choices at a fraction of the cost.

I'm a wheel guy. All of my cars run aftermarket wheels, some with spacers, some without. I have never had an issue... EVER. It's all about the shop that installs them, and what hardware they supply you.

Yes, HRE is the best, their quality, warranties, ease of ownership, resale value... The only thing I don't like is the inability to cut custom offsets on the FF product. I like my fitment tight at the fenders... HRE runs minutely more aggressive than stock, so it's never enough for me. For the average joe that wants a perfect wheel, there is nothing better.

Last edited by AHI; 04-10-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Lenin

LMAO, this is as baller as it gets....

I spy a clean C32 in the background.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S
OEM wheels are my winter set

Custom forged HRE RS101s are my summer set.

HRE js the gold standard in quality aftermarket wheels
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wheels-photo955.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo965.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo145.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo907.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo574.jpg  

Aftermarket Wheels-photo355.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo543.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo378.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo519.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo333.jpg  

Aftermarket Wheels-photo318.jpg   Aftermarket Wheels-photo582.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 AM
SPONSOR

www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by sdg1871
OEM wheels are my winter set

Custom forged HRE RS101s are my summer set.

HRE js the gold standard in quality aftermarket wheels
I have never seen RS101's on a vehicle other than the Aventador HRE used to promote the wheel upon its release. Much applaud to you for doing something new!