W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experimenting for that perfect sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Originally Posted by chiromikey
However, they're not familiar with running MBs on the dyno. Just make sure you show them how to put the car into dyno mode if they do any runs.

How do we put the car in Dyno mode ?
Can you share ?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by SilveRT8
How do we put the car in Dyno mode ?
Can you share ?
The following 2 users liked this post by chiromikey:
SilveRT8 (05-14-2016), Zod (05-16-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Great info!
Will have to go back on the Dyno soon !
Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
M3
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Well, latest installment.

I went back to try the straight pipe with an H crossover in place of the X pipe this morning. The guys at the shop didn't want me to waste my time or money testing that since I felt the straight pipes with no crossover were already too loud. They almost talked me out of it but I figured if I'm going to test, I'm going to test all options. To everyone's disbelief, the H pipe quieted down the straight pipes considerably. It gave back that refined sound, it's now a bit louder than with the resonator, has a nice sharp bark upon start up, a good mellow rumble at idle, sharp nasty revs, and a nice bit of raspiness on up/down shifts. I expected a slight sound difference over straight pipes but I didn't expect this level of muffling by just adding the H...and neither did the guys at the shop with decades of exhaust experience.

Anyways, this is the best set up so far, followed by resonator in place. I think my experimenting is done and I'll try to get some sound clips up.
Went and got the resonators cut off and didn't like the H pipe the shop had so I just went with straight and it sounds great, surely louder. Only problem I have with it is that it pulses a lot since there is no cross over to balance.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Reviving this old but useful thread.

I just went catless and I also have straight pipes in place of resonator its loud with throttle, there is 0 drone and it sounds normal during regular driving. I do however have a question for anyone with similar setups

my only complaint about this setup, emphasis on "only" is that Im not really a fan of how the idle sounds. the idle isnt loud or obnoxious by any means but its slightly choppy like an american muscle car sound. I dont really like that and im wondering if putting H pipe or resonator would fix that? based on Chiro's post im already pretty decided on trying the H pipe but I want to know if adding the H will fix the choppy ness at idle . I dont want an x pipe, not really a fan. if anyone can answer this let me know.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by amgboy916
Reviving this old but useful thread.

I just went catless and I also have straight pipes in place of resonator its loud with throttle, there is 0 drone and it sounds normal during regular driving. I do however have a question for anyone with similar setups

my only complaint about this setup, emphasis on "only" is that Im not really a fan of how the idle sounds. the idle isnt loud or obnoxious by any means but its slightly choppy like an american muscle car sound. I dont really like that and im wondering if putting H pipe or resonator would fix that? based on Chiro's post im already pretty decided on trying the H pipe but I want to know if adding the H will fix the choppy ness at idle . I dont want an x pipe, not really a fan. if anyone can answer this let me know.
Yes, an H pipe in the location of the resonator will fix that choppy idle. I didn’t like that either and I always felt like the sound was uneven with the passenger bank being more loud/choppy than the driver side. The bigger the diameter of the H, the more smooth it will sound. I’d keep it between 1 and 1.5” diameter to maintain the most aggressive sound and keep the bark on downshifts but still smooth out the idle.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiromikey:
amgboy916 (02-01-2019), Roverron (02-01-2019)