Sponsored by:

They drilled the F*()ing Bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Angry They drilled the F*()ing Bumper

So with this last blast of snow, ice and much I lost my front plate holder. And low and behold whoever the idiots at the dealer were that installed the thing drilled the entire bumper. I have to imagine that there were other way to mount the MB mounting plate vs drilling the bumper. Well anyways that is water under the bridge....So at this point since the holes ripped wide open it would appear that I am looking for a new bumper.

Do any of the front end body kits available for the car replace the portion of the bumper where a front plate would have been mounted? The idea of replacing it with the same dang thing drives me crazy. Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Installation of the front plate holder requires drilling two holes thru the bumper.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Installation of the front plate holder requires drilling two holes thru the bumper.
Well we were so kind to give me 6 holes. Geez over achievers.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
I know some body shops actually have a plastic welder that can fix polyurethane, all they have to do is remove the bumper weld the holes shut and sand down to perfection then paint. Unless your that OCD!
The following users liked this post:
Wickdwagon (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Maybe ask the dealer to fix it? Drilled holes can be filled though, no need for a whole new bumper.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Maybe ask the dealer to fix it? Drilled holes can be filled though, no need for a whole new bumper.
Yep gonna have to do some exploration as when the front bracket was ripped off the screws in the 4 outer holes which as it looks were never supposed to be there pulled the bumper back. So ideal if it could be fixed great.....the car is so stinking fast it ripped the front plate right off!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Don't drill any holes - there's another solution

Mid City Engineering just started selling a retractable front license plate bracket.

My next Mercedes purchase have one of these, I already bought it. I just need to make sure local dealer does not install front bracket before delivery

http://www.midcityengineering.com/device/motorized-front-license-plate/

Last edited by Rainers; 01-10-2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Adding URL
Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Rainers
I just need to make sure local dealer does not install front bracket before delivery

http://www.midcityengineering.com/device/motorized-front-license-plate/
Tell them in advance, just tell them you won't accept the car if the holes are drilled for the front plate ,believe me they won't drill them, I didl this with my last car.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you should be able to fill them up instead of getting whole new front bumper cover.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Rainers
Mid City Engineering just started selling a retractable front license plate bracket.

My next Mercedes purchase have one of these, I already bought it. I just need to make sure local dealer does not install front bracket before delivery

http://www.midcityengineering.com/de...license-plate/
Now that is really nifty!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Not sure I follow, you bought car with front plate holder, and you live in a state that needs it, arent you just going to bolt another one right in?

I could never live in a state requiring front license plate holders. I think they are ridiculous.

If there is enough area touching the bumper, I bet some mounting tape would hold it. The commercial grade stuff you have to order online. Might ruin paint but at least no holes.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by BerndV
Now that is really nifty!
problem with these retractable ones is inclement weather and highway speeds, they become very aerodynamic and can rip off the bracket and can either destroy the underbody of your car or somebody behind you
Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Not sure I follow, you bought car with front plate holder, and you live in a state that needs it, arent you just going to bolt another one right in?

I could never live in a state requiring front license plate holders. I think they are ridiculous.

If there is enough area touching the bumper, I bet some mounting tape would hold it. The commercial grade stuff you have to order online. Might ruin paint but at least no holes.
I guess that I was surprised that they used the two mounting holes for the bumper and then they drilled all for corners of the plate into the metal of the bumper as well. Typically the factory mounts are actually attached in a minimally invasive manner.....not this case! And now that they huge holes ripped out I have a huge torn plastic mess.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
problem with these retractable ones is inclement weather and highway speeds, they become very aerodynamic and can rip off the bracket and can either destroy the underbody of your car or somebody behind you
I live in a state with a requirement for a front plate. However, roughly half of the high end German machinery on the road around here doesn't have one displayed. I've never had one on any car I've owned since moving here and have never been cited or pulled over for the legal lapse. The impression I've gotten is that if you have an aesthetically pleasing expensive car that would look less pleasing with the addition of a front plate, then you will simply get a pass. The last time I was pulled over, the Highway Patrol officer gave me a warning for speeding but spent ten minutes admiring and discussing my car. He never mentioned the missing front license plate.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'15 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Kind of like what happened with the OP's stock mounting solution?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by BerndV
I live in a state with a requirement for a front plate. However, roughly half of the high end German machinery on the road around here doesn't have one displayed. I've never had one on any car I've owned since moving here and have never been cited or pulled over for the legal lapse. The impression I've gotten is that if you have an aesthetically pleasing expensive car that would look less pleasing with the addition of a front plate, then you will simply get a pass. The last time I was pulled over, the Highway Patrol officer gave me a warning for speeding but spent ten minutes admiring and discussing my car. He never mentioned the missing front license plate.
Same experience here, I'm usually left alone. Also, if you're ever caught speeding, for example, and you're nice sometimes not having a plate gives them the opportunity to hit you with that instead of a speeding ticket that racks up points.

Insert front bumper plate mount, mount plate, snap picture, voila. No ticket.

Andddd remove plate.