Sponsored by:

Which downpipes to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
C63 S AMG 2016
Which downpipes to buy?

I finally decided to buy downpipes, but which one to get? Alpha or Weistec?

Alpha has a much better price, but Weistec says it has termal insulation, reducing the engine bay temperature.

In addition, I'm seriously considering to get downpipes without catalytic converters, but smog checks worry me. Does anyone has any thoughts about it?

Last but not least, I will ask again about the noise increase with the new downpipes. Does the car gets to noisy? Can it still be used as a luxury sedan?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Zero noise inside even if you delete the cats. With cat delete you will get a better sound while on the throttle but it's almost stock quiet when cruising. You will have a problem passing smog inspections if you go catless. Don't pay extra. If you think you need heat protection just have them coated yourself for $100-200.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Zero noise inside even if you delete the cats. With cat delete you will get a better sound while on the throttle but it's almost stock quiet when cruising. You will have a problem passing smog inspections if you go catless. Don't pay extra. If you think you need heat protection just have them coated yourself for $100-200.

Why in the world would anyone would want to keep exhaust gasses hot? A hot exhaust is entirely contra productive to efficiency in any aspect. If anything you would want to cool the exhaust as soon as possible to facilitate gasses acceleration and volume. This is high school PHY isn't it?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
is it that important to get them coated? I just have the regular ones from EC that are made from a high grade stainless steel. I didn't think this would ever be problematic, now I'm concerned.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Astolfo
Why in the world would anyone would want to keep exhaust gasses hot? A hot exhaust is entirely contra productive to efficiency in any aspect. If anything you would want to cool the exhaust as soon as possible to facilitate gasses acceleration and volume. This is high school PHY isn't it?
That is why I run nitrogen blocks between the heads and turbos cool the damn air down, I never understood why you would want exhausts hot???
The following users liked this post:
shardul (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think the egt theory that people use to justify coatings/wraps is a solid theory but I do think there is benefit in keeping as much heat as possible away from nearby intake components. I personally would try to insulate intake components before trying to keep heat in the exhaust.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Amg63-
is it that important to get them coated? I just have the regular ones from EC that are made from a high grade stainless steel. I didn't think this would ever be problematic, now I'm concerned.
Not on stainless steel. I'd consider coating regular steel for aesthetics and possible longevity but not for heat reasons. You have nothing to worry about!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
e63s
Ams pipes are very hard to adjust since they're 3 piece. Still a year to this date and I can't get them adjusted right and have them stay from rubbing on the aluminum brace by the ball joint clamps for more than a week after adjusting them. Ive tried countless times. My solution was to use a dish towel and wrap it around the aluminum brace so the pipes lay on that and not make a metal on metal vibration sound. I don not recommend this product.

Emails were not returned as well.
Try to buy a 1 piece pipe. Like rado or speedriven
Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
re:exhaust coatings

This may seem like a silly question, but what do race cars do or more dedicated track cars? If you're doing a performance mod seems like you'd want to more or less follow what they do if you're going for max power.

Marketing is a powerful thing though right? The minute someone comes up with a feature or thing you're suddenly like "oh man, do I need that TOO!?"

The exception being the Honda Odyssey with built in vaccuum cleaner in a minivan. I wish my Cayenne had that
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ajs76
re:exhaust coatings

This may seem like a silly question, but what do race cars do or more dedicated track cars? If you're doing a performance mod seems like you'd want to more or less follow what they do if you're going for max power.

Marketing is a powerful thing though right? The minute someone comes up with a feature or thing you're suddenly like "oh man, do I need that TOO!?"

The exception being the Honda Odyssey with built in vaccuum cleaner in a minivan. I wish my Cayenne had that
Most people can't afford a custom inconel steel system so it's hard to do what real race cars do when it comes to exhaust
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
E63 amg s
For what it's worth BMR is working on making downpipes for our cars. My Rado pipes will be for sale once they are done
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Nobody will be able to tell you the specs for the alloys used, but they are extremely efficient at radiating heat, year after year (until 2017) the sporting regulations keep decreasing the amount beryllium in the exhaust components and batteries heat sinks.

They are also extremely soft alloys.

it is PHY101, the relationship between temp to volume in a gas is, for the most part, between linear and exponential, clearly this depends in the gas elements.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Are you rwd or AWD? If RWD, then go full turbo back style like the weistec, but best to get the knock offs from UPD, boost logic or CMS. Great price, fits great and huge torque gains.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Geno51
For what it's worth BMR is working on making downpipes for our cars. My Rado pipes will be for sale once they are done
do you actually think the BMR pipes will give any power gains over the rado?

from what I've seen they are all pretty much the same thing I don't think it's worth it for you to do that TBH.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Are you rwd or AWD? If RWD, then go full turbo back style like the weistec, but best to get the knock offs from UPD, boost logic or CMS. Great price, fits great and huge torque gains.
does AWD also gain as much as RWD from turbo back pipes or are catless downpipes the same gains on AWD E63?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I have been running Speedriven catted downpipes for a couple thousand miles. Seat of the pants it feels like part throttle responsiveness has increased. I have been busy with work and haven't really had a chance to do vbox testing. There is also a distinct increase in volume, but definitely not obnoxious and it has zero drone (which was very important to me). If you want really loud, you probably should do catless with resonator and/or muffler removed. But for me this was the perfect compromise.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Have the weistec down pipes and could not be happier with them. When you are in hooligan mode they have plenty of grunt but when just cruise you would be hard pressed to know the difference. So plenty of area under the curve between the stage I and stage II tunes to justify the cost and expense to have a turbo back system installed properly.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I have been running Speedriven catted downpipes for a couple thousand miles. Seat of the pants it feels like part throttle responsiveness has increased. I have been busy with work and haven't really had a chance to do vbox testing. There is also a distinct increase in volume, but definitely not obnoxious and it has zero drone (which was very important to me). If you want really loud, you probably should do catless with resonator and/or muffler removed. But for me this was the perfect compromise.
another option is to do catless downpipes and then add 2 extra resonators (3" vibrant straight pipes). I did this and it allows for catless dp power gains and even under full throttle still not too loud, very close to stock but slightly louder that's all, and cruising is actually even quieter than bone stock.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
another option is to do catless downpipes and then add 2 extra resonators (3" vibrant straight pipes). I did this and it allows for catless dp power gains and even under full throttle still not too loud, very close to stock but slightly louder that's all, and cruising is actually even quieter than bone stock.
Sounds like an interesting set up, but I also didn't want to deal with CEL (I don't have an ECU tune) and the exhaust smell. I have a 21 month old daughter and didn't want the garage smelling like the drag strip when I put her in the car every morning.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
does AWD also gain as much as RWD from turbo back pipes or are catless downpipes the same gains on AWD E63?
It's a case of the trouble to install them. Turbo back on RWD can be done relatively easily. AWD you have to drop the motor. Plus you can only get weistec for AWD cause you need shorter engine mounts to be able to route the turbo pipe in a straight shot. Between weistec cost and install cost it's just not worth the difference vs mid pipe style DP s
Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
C63 S AMG 2016
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Mine is AWD, and I have a piggyback tune (RaceChip).
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by jrosa
Mine is AWD, and I have a piggyback tune (RaceChip).
You'll have to drop the motor to do true turbo back's such as Weistec. And if you're concerned about emissions, that means each time you need to pass inspections you gotta swap. $$$.

I'm in the same boat and just picked up catless RADO DP's. Much easier to swap.

Also considering a second ECU so I can have one w/ stock maps and one that is tuned so I don't have to keep shipping my ECU back and forth come inspection time.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Hot air flows faster with less resistance than cold air.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Hot air flows faster with less resistance than cold air.
yep, also know as stack or flue effect ..Greater the inside air temperature is vs outside temperature the faster it will be drafted out as the inside air density will be less than the outside air density and the inside air will flow up and out

cooling exhaust gasses is unwanted since you'll observe greater back pressure. This reduces engine air flow, and thus efficiency

PHY102

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which downpipes to buy?