W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!!HEADS UP!!! Those considering a RENNTech tune..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
So I wonder if the add-on piggyback modules from Brabus, Kleemann leave telltales in the data log? Edit: I mean if it leaves signs after the module is disconnected/removed...

Last edited by need2speed; 03-18-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by need2speed
So I wonder if the add-on piggyback modules from Brabus, Kleemann leave telltales in the data log? Edit: I mean if it leaves signs after the module is disconnected/removed...
By all detailed accounts I have read, especially in the world Audi, a piggyback leaves an abnormal log trace of parameters, stored outside of the ecu.

It's been repeated more than once here, if Audi has the ability to do it, and it's been confirmed many times over that they can, chances are that MB has the ability.

A 2nd ECU probably isn't going to help you avoid any of this.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by need2speed
I would assume that logs would be stored showing at least higher boost is being logged than what comes from factory so I would imagine that would be the dead giveaway.

Originally Posted by Mike450
By all detailed accounts I have read, especially in the world Audi, a piggyback leaves an abnormal log trace of parameters, stored outside of the ecu.

It's been repeated more than once here, if Audi has the ability to do it, and it's been confirmed many times over that they can, chances are that MB has the ability.

A 2nd ECU probably isn't going to help you avoid any of this.
The more I thought about it, the more that I agree here. It'll still get logged and stored in a separate memory outside of the ECU. So in theory, yes, it would be logged. However, they would really have to dig and something significant would have to happen.

Idk. At the end of the day I'm still going to tune my car, have the $$ available to replace my tranny just in case, and roll the dice on being covered by a warranty. As long as a dealer is getting paid I don't see the problem in where the money is coming from.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by gaspam
Wrong... like i said another local guy down here and has renntech and is not flagged status 8... reading comprehension is not you strong suit it seems as ALL = 100% ... thus you are wrong since I know at least 1 person w/renntech tune that is not flagged.... myth busted

again, you try to be as vague as possible so you can backtrack, when your intent was clearly biased towards renntech

but yes, if your context was that "all renntech tunes done thru MB dealer are flagged" then I would have no problem with that statement... other than its completely a captain obvious statement.... duh, if you buy a tune from the dealer they will know you are tuned... great info
BEING as in happening. I even qualified it in a subsequent post stating my car is not flagged because it was done prior to the status 8 flagging.

ALL as in all cars not just the E63.

All dealers will know if you have been tuned if you are flagged. That means status 8 flagging is shown under every MB dealer database if you pull up in another dealership after being flagged at a different dealer.
PS if you need explanation, ask and stop assuming.

Anyone can also note how in no where did I state Renntech is flagging your cars. I used Renntech tune as the example cos of content of "a perceived no way MB will void your warranty," warranty in a previous thread. Dealers who tuned your car will flag it, and if for some reason it comes to light that you have a eurocharged tune, yep flagged as well. But common sense indicates a dealer will know about your Renntech tune first if you used them.
Dealers were NOT flagging tunes Renntech little while ago, hence my post about that being done NOW in the previous thread from weeks ago.

Yes reading comprehension is not your strong suit. You even claimed in the previous thread there was no flagging. I'm done with this, you clearly argue for argument sake

PS: I did say I was done with this but since Gaspam has to he spoon fed English comprehension, let me be a bit clearer for the 5th grader

Last edited by kponti; 03-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I would assume that logs would be stored showing at least higher boost is being logged than what comes from factory so I would imagine that would be the dead giveaway.

The more I thought about it, the more that I agree here. It'll still get logged and stored in a separate memory outside of the ECU. So in theory, yes, it would be logged. However, they would really have to dig and something significant would have to happen.

Idk. At the end of the day I'm still going to tune my car, have the $$ available to replace my tranny just in case, and roll the dice on being covered by a warranty. As long as a dealer is getting paid I don't see the problem in where the money is coming from.
I wish there was a engine study guide available for the car. I would real be interested to learn if engine operating logs are actually stored outside the ecu it's self.

I know there are many modules in the car all keeping different types of information.

Even if MB does take data off the cars when they connect to the "homebase" I would think all the different modules simply report their respective data sets.

Having tuned a few models of cars in the past 20 years, I have never ran across one that has a "central location" within the vehicle it's self to "log" or "store" all the vehicles systems.

Many modern interfaces, simply communicate to each module via the vehicle communication bus. Then the connected interface (MB tech tool, PC program, Generic OBD scanner) simply collate all that into one "file" for the operator to read.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by kponti
BEING as in happening. I even qualified it in a subsequent post stating my car is not flagged because it was done prior to the status 8 flagging.

All dealers will know if you have been tuned of you are flagged. PS if you need explanation, ask and stop assuming.
​​​​​​​
Yes reading comprehension is not your strong suit. You even claimed in the previous thread there was no flagging. I'm done with this, you clearly argue for argument sake

kponti, there is so much one can do. There is people that will deny that 1+1=2...because "they read or saw it somewhere" I have learned that in this forum there are a few people that are open to exchange of knowledge in lieu of ego. I starting to reach people in PMs instead of having to prove negative.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by kponti

are you sure you are not a politician as you try to speak like one with all your backtracking and psuedo- intellectual elitism with your "reading comprehension" comment, when in reality you are showing your IQ is rather low as you still cant understand what i am saying

clearly reading comprehension is not your strong point as i said in the other thread "their is no flagging coming from them (Renntech) directly" in reply to another member's comment of "how is this going to help renntech's sales?"... of course you being the sensitive one had to jump in thinking i was talking to you

so for all the non-politicians please clarify since you know it all....

1. when did MB start flagging ALL CARS... now please be specific mr. politican as ALL CARS would include fords and kia's since you like to play word games

2. please confirm who is letting MB know a car is RENNTECH tuned (keep in mind 3 different people on this forum have confirmed with renntech that its not them)

3. please confirm how people like myself (up until jan) and others, with renntech tunes, that go to dealers with renntech tunes, were not flagged on their most recent visits if they are flagging now? that would indicate that only way MB is finding out is either.. A) new tunes bought directly from dealer or ..B) dealer visually/electronically detects existing tune and flags it or C) the customer themselves tells the dealer they are tuned (my case)

so back to my original point which you dont seem to grasp is, DUH if you buy a renntech tune thru the dealer guess what... they now know your tuned and also, if they find any other brand tune on your car (or indication ecu tampered with) you will also be flagged... duh, everyone already knew this ..... again, thanks for the breaking news flash Rachel Maddow

Last edited by gaspam; 03-18-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by Astolfo
kponti, there is so much one can do. There is people that will deny that 1+1=2...because "they read or saw it somewhere" I have learned that in this forum there are a few people that are open to exchange of knowledge in lieu of ego. I starting to reach people in PMs instead of having to prove negative.
PS Kponti, you know you are wrong when Astolfo is on your side
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM

2015 gl450
Originally Posted by Savage212
I wish there was a engine study guide available for the car. I would real be interested to learn if engine operating logs are actually stored outside the ecu it's self.

I know there are many modules in the car all keeping different types of information.

Even if MB does take data off the cars when they connect to the "homebase" I would think all the different modules simply report their respective data sets.

Having tuned a few models of cars in the past 20 years, I have never ran across one that has a "central location" within the vehicle it's self to "log" or "store" all the vehicles systems.

Many modern interfaces, simply communicate to each module via the vehicle communication bus. Then the connected interface (MB tech tool, PC program, Generic OBD scanner) simply collate all that into one "file" for the operator to read.
If I recall correctly, as someone actually took a pic of td1 code report at the dealer level, it's not a laundry list of detailed info, but a lone flag that is generated if a certain parameter(s) is exceeded.

Be it max boost, rpm, timing, etc beyond what oem tuning would call for.
A single flag is not necessarily grounds for a td1, but string a few of them together ... they'll be digging for more.

And again, from what I remember, I believe hooking into the scan network is required for most warranty work.

Last edited by Mike450; 03-20-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by Mike450
If I recall correctly, as someone actually took a pic of td1 code report at the dealer level, it's not a laundry list of detailed info, but a lone flag that is generated if a certain parameter(s) is exceeded.

Be it max boost, rpm, timing, etc beyond what oem tuning would call for.
A single flag is not necessarily grounds for a td1, but string a few of them together ... they'll be digging for more.

And again, from what I remember, I believe hooking into the scan network is required for most warranty work.
I would agree 100%!

Question is where is are the parameters stored? In the case of engine information?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Astolfo
So the argument here is to make it easier for MB to deny warranty and pass on the risks you took to most of the unware second hand buyer?

I hate this argument. If you are buying ANY second hand car, your mantra should be CAVEAT EMPTOR. You can buy a CPO car from an MB dealer to mitigate the risk, but there is always a risk that the previous owner did something to lower the longevity of the mechanical parts of the car.

I would also speculate that a completely stock car (un-tuned) that is run to redline on a daily basis before the powertrain is properly warmed up, will have more mechanical wear than a tuned car that is properly warmed up and has its fluids changed at half the regular service interval (I always did oil/fluid changes more frequently on my modded cars). But ultimately a second hand buyer should know the risks associated with buying a used car.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM

2015 gl450
I would agree 100%!

Question is where is are the parameters stored? In the case of engine information?
I'm sure there are more than a few guys trying to figure that out ... Lol

I'm not sure anyone is positive yet.

Last edited by Mike450; 03-21-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Want to talk about "value?" Just because you mix up a bunch of words in some non sense doesn't mean you added value. In fact, it took me a second to make sense of the above post by separating out words with forgotten punctuation. Which brings me to my next point...

"Your work" is suspiciously a different font, has terrible punctuation, and vocabulary which doesn't match most of your other posts with the same font. So, the amount of "your work" in those thoughts may be limited to "copy" and "paste"

This is the only post anyone needs to read in order to gauge how much you say should be taken seriously. This is a very basic concept, definitely in the forced induction world, that you would've picked up in high school PHY or PHY101 (both of which you seemingly took). The hotter the air, the faster it goes through the turbo, and the faster the impeller spins, ultimately leading to more power. Yes, you have to manage the heat because too much heat would be a bad thing. Just for future reference.

And you want to talk about value... I genuinely think you plagiarized the above and/or at least throw in complex words in otherwise relatively simple conversations. I would like to hear why your "smart" post was in a different font with punctuation errors everywhere when the rest of what you post is generally clean.

Just an outsider here telling you how you come off so what I say should be taken with a grain of salt as well. Not over here with my measuring tape ready to measure... I'm still trying to convince people 2'' is enough to get the job done

Anyways, I'm with this guy. If you want to avoid risk buy another ecu. It's cheaper than most of the mods you'll do to the car and ECU's are easy to swap. Keep your factory one as is, pick up a second ECU that MB programs to the car, and go to town on that one. Just swap when you take it in for service.
Won't that drill mark exist on the New OEM one?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
C63 S AMG 2016
So much talking about getting a new ECU. How much that would be?

My car is a 2014 4Matic, non-S model, should I buy an ECU for the S model should I get a "factory remap"?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:27 AM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by jrosa
So much talking about getting a new ECU. How much that would be?

My car is a 2014 4Matic, non-S model, should I buy an ECU for the S model should I get a "factory remap"?
Lets get a group buy going!

Looks like the ECU is roughly ~$1200 usd
Old 08-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE300D, GL 350BT
Lets get a group buy going!

Looks like the ECU is roughly ~$1200 usd
A new ECU won't help if the car is flagged based on VIN OR engine logs are stored OUTSIDE of the ECU. In other words, you have your tuned ECU, logs are still being written. You put in your new non-tuned ECU with the assumption you won't get flagged when in fact it is most likely the previous log files written by the tuned ECU showing that engine performance was outside of stock.

The next logical question would be, how long are the logs stored and what is the roll period? How long would the new non-tuned ECU need to be used to overwrite the incriminating logs showing your engine was tuned or operating outside of normal parameters? Nobody knows.....but please, somebody try it out and see how it goes. I am more than willing to gamble with your money and your car and your warranty.

Last edited by alphainfinity; 08-02-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by alphainfinity
A new ECU won't help if the car is flagged based on VIN OR engine logs are stored OUTSIDE of the ECU. In other words, you have your tuned ECU, logs are still being written. You put in your new non-tuned ECU with the assumption you won't get flagged when in fact it is most likely the previous log files written by the tuned ECU showing that engine performance was outside of stock.

The next logical question would be, how long are the logs stored and what is the roll period? How long would the new non-tuned ECU need to be used to overwrite the incriminating logs showing your engine was tuned or operating outside of normal parameters? Nobody knows.....but please, somebody try it out and see how it goes. I am more than willing to gamble with your money and your car and your warranty.
Ultimately the log files will be overwritten with time. What is that time? I don't think anybody here will know, but I'm sure there's some storage used to hold that data and the older logs will get overwritten with the newer logs. It's always wise to drive around your car normally with new/stock ECU for a while before taking it to the dealer to reduce the risk of them finding anything.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:57 AM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
Ultimately the log files will be overwritten with time. What is that time? I don't think anybody here will know, but I'm sure there's some storage used to hold that data and the older logs will get overwritten with the newer logs. It's always wise to drive around your car normally with new/stock ECU for a while before taking it to the dealer to reduce the risk of them finding anything.
Logged engine data is stored on the ecu. Other modules in the car store their relevant data. IMO there is no "central" storage device.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:59 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Does this "Status 8" apply to the M177 C63S as well?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Status 8 means the car has been red flagged by Mercedes and that applies to all Mercedes models.

Originally Posted by KJ
Does this "Status 8" apply to the M177 C63S as well?
Old 12-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E63 AMG-S, 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo-S
I read this post with interest not just because I have and eventually want to mod my E63, but also the fact that I have professional interest in the ECU and Embedded System design.
I do not mean to counter argue with @Astolfo. But in my world (where we design and sell ASICs and ARM based CPUs), it is rather simple to detect modded Firmware.
All you need (for the techie guys CRC check) is a checksum calculation on NVRAM (FLASH Memory side) where a pre-calculated (non modified version) is stored
and encrypted on NVRAM itself using each CPU's internal ID as its key. Basically, upon power up or reset, the first thing the program can do is to complete a checksum calculation and compare it
to the prestored value and if not a match, it will make a note somewhere and when connected to an external diagnostic it can report it.

Basically, any time a tuner changes values in the base tables (not the trims for those familiar with OBD-II protocol), this will cause a change to the checksum :-(
hence, a detectable ECU. The epoc based encryption(mentioned by Astolfo) to head quarts etc may be done to download and verify new FW versions, but I doubt is done every time MB diagnostic system
(STAR) is connected to a single car.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:48 PM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by armansd
I read this post with interest not just because I have and eventually want to mod my E63, but also the fact that I have professional interest in the ECU and Embedded System design.
I do not mean to counter argue with @Astolfo. But in my world (where we design and sell ASICs and ARM based CPUs), it is rather simple to detect modded Firmware.
All you need (for the techie guys CRC check) is a checksum calculation on NVRAM (FLASH Memory side) where a pre-calculated (non modified version) is stored
and encrypted on NVRAM itself using each CPU's internal ID as its key. Basically, upon power up or reset, the first thing the program can do is to complete a checksum calculation and compare it
to the prestored value and if not a match, it will make a note somewhere and when connected to an external diagnostic it can report it.

Basically, any time a tuner changes values in the base tables (not the trims for those familiar with OBD-II protocol), this will cause a change to the checksum :-(
hence, a detectable ECU. The epoc based encryption(mentioned by Astolfo) to head quarts etc may be done to download and verify new FW versions, but I doubt is done every time MB diagnostic system
(STAR) is connected to a single car.
Very correct, however in a 2 ECU equation the ecu that is "unmodded" or "not tuned" would have a matching checksum. Only if the car had the "tuned" or "modded" ecu in place when it was being scanned by MB Star diag would a tune be noticed. They basic assumption here is yes, no question the dealer or and Star system could detect a "tuned" or "modded" ecu.
However, with a stock ECU in place properly programmed to the car they would be unable to detect if a "tuned" ecu was previously on the car.
Having two ecu's does work, the car does not know the difference nor does the Star Diag. Most tuners can "clone" ecus so the car specific coding is identical.
A well trained eye could see the ecu has been opened, or drilled depending on the method. There are no tamper stickers, and it's possible to open the cases with 99.9 % perfection.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Savage212,
You are correct, assuming that the tuner can reprogram the VIN# matching you car into the second ECU (which I believe is programmed nowadays), I agree that we can fool the START program.
Of course, If I was tasked to collect info on modded cars, I could deploy a number of counter-measures that would prevent the ECU SWAP. For example,
each ECU, VIN would be entered in a central Data Base and each diagnostic session would require a positive proof before reprogramming anything new to the car's ECU etc.

But this is getting way too cumbersome and convoluted. I was just expressing some of the industry practices in use today with Consumer Electronics Devices and in no way would claim to know
what MB does or actually has implemented.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Is it possible that on the whole Mercedes Benz is making more money in the increased service of modified and tune Mercedes-Benz vehicles? Or do you think they make less money overall because they have to pay out is warranty claims from people who have warranty issues associated with tunes they cannot detect?

my point is that overall is this this Mercedes organization making money, but publicly they have to condemn the modification of their vehicles?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Is it possible that on the whole Mercedes Benz is making more money in the increased service of modified and tune Mercedes-Benz vehicles? Or do you think they make less money overall because they have to pay out is warranty claims from people who have warranty issues associated with tunes they cannot detect?

my point is that overall is this this Mercedes organization making money, but publicly they have to condemn the modification of their vehicles?
Great Question, I am thinking (again just me) MB is worried about covering warranty costs. They figure older AMG/MBs that are modded don't even bother coming to the dealership (or is it stealership). So cost cutting would be my vote.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!!HEADS UP!!! Those considering a RENNTech tune..